• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Colchester United

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Colchester

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Colchester United
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, August 27, 2022 - 12:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 27, 2022 - 01:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A very scrappy 2nd half, we seemed to be dragged down to their level. When we got the ball down and passed it around we look really good but didn't do it enough.
Turnbull and Byrne outstanding and rarely troubled, Bristow had couple dodgy moments first half, Cogley very good again but O'Connor absolutely outstanding again and for me mom good for Hawkes and Burton to score

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
yea I think 0 CONNOR Won't be with us for Long if he playing this way but great to see the rovers nice seeing some of the new players

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Strange game. Fairly comfortable win for Rovers in the end, which is the main thing. Two good goals but not that much else attack-wise though had Nolan taken a shot himself or looked up rather than passing to nobody from a great position could have been more comfortable. Defensively we were sound and although the Us got into dangerous positions, no shots worthy of the name.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the exertions of Wednesday night had a significant impact on the performance.

In the first half I thought we played well, with a lot of good football, the one criticism being that we did not create enough clear opportunities given our domination of possession. However, after half time we simply ran out of gas and put in a laboured display, but a frankly awful Colchester side were not good enough to trouble us when the tempo of our game dropped. Doohan had nothing to do all afternoon.

I thought Nolan made a positive impact in the first half, with his ability to find space and good use of the ball. A lot of our passing movements went through him and were excellent. It was also good to see Hawkes on the scoresheet again. He should be aiming for double figures this season, and it was notable that it was another assist for Hemmings for the opening goal. There is a lot more to Kane's game than finishing.

Elsewhere, I thought both full backs were very good, Turnbull was solid, and O'Connor was absolutely outstanding and was man of the match. It was a nice moment for Burton with his tidy finish for the second, but the fact we had to bring him off the bench to give Nevitt a rest emphasises how short of bodies we are up front.

In the second half the midfield looked absolutely goosed, and Mellon was right to make the double substitution on sixty minutes.

With the exception of the Newport game, the last four or five performances have been decent. Hopefully we can get something at Orient next week.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well after such a tough shift on Wednesday night this fixture was probably just what we needed against a toothless Colchester side.

We started well and hawkes showed why he should be in the side. He can be frustrating at times but is still young. He has a goal in him and can finish as he showed with an expertly taken volley.

After that we created very little over the course of the next 80 mins or so. Some tired legs out there and credit to Micky for the changes and Burton for an excellent header.

Good to keep a clean sheet albeit we weren’t really tested. As I say after Newcastle the result was all that mattered.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree OConnor as MOM with turnbull also faultless.

Player
Manager
John King
Jameson is out for four to six weeks with a hamstring injury according to Micky.

Looks like it is four at the back for the foreseeable future then.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky mentions maybe bringing one or two in. I was thinking we only have 1 loanee at present in Robinson so surely there is some scope to bring others in

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I agree re the strongest team but the one they did field cost north of 50m. Wood 25m, Targett $15m, just off the top of my head.
Would be surprised if any of them were on less than £70k/week. Equally Newcastle fans moaned about the quality of their strength in depth. Not only different league, but different planet

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Delighted for Burton but that's how thin the squad is when you need to recall someone back on loan. As it is now, I think having Glatzel would really bolster the forward line, injuries problems aside, he can perform well at this level.

Regarding the match, the second half was a bit of a damp squib for obvious reasons but were still miles better than Colchester. I thought we looked like a proper team out there today, all digging in and working hard for the three points. We have definately improved on the first couple of games so we are heading in the right direction.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Glatzel on permanent deal apparently
If true then I just hope his fitness record is reflected somehow in any deal. We can’t afford any more players missing as the squad is down to bare bones as it is

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A few thoughts, now I'm home after the game.

Defensively, we were very solid. Doohan seemed much more confident about coming off his line and claiming the ball, cutting down any opportunities for attacks. The central defensive pairing and both wing-backs played well.

Midfield. Hawkes took his goal well and there was some good link-up play on the left with Bristow and others. O'Connor was very good, mostly defensive work. Less sure about the other pair. McAlear started brightly and brought a scrambled save out of their keeper early on, but more than most he seemed to be jaded by the exertions of midweek. Nolan seems to be getting more involved and there were signs that the mental toughness needed was returning. He was involved in and won a challenge in the build-up to the Hawkes goal. He got in some good positions but didn't always make the most of them, More generally, there seemed to be an imbalance between the left, where there was good link-up play with the midfield, whereas Dacres-Cogley was usually left by himself to deliver on the right. Think that may have been a factor in Hughes coming on, but if we're looking at adding bodies a player who can function as the right-sided equivalent of Hawkes would be welcome.

Attack. Thought both forwards spent too much time outside the box. Hemmings did well for his part in the first goal, but neither was around to attack the spilled ball from McAlear's shot or some quality crosses, mostly from JDC. Burton took his goal well, good cross from Lewis to set it up. While I don't think Jake will be the answer to our scoring problems, today's performance puzzles me as to why Micky was so quick to loan him out to Marine.

Likely to be my last Rovers game. until October. It will be interesting to see who comes in and how the current players develop in that time.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I agree with a lot of the post match reports. Connor mom most definitely. The sponsors mom being announced has been pi££ing me off for a few years now! Perhaps grumpy old man syndrome but the sponsors, if they are doing it right, are getting leathered, having a great time but only have half an eye on the football. I'm waiting for somebody who hasn't even got off the bench to get the award - only a matter of time. While I'm on the "syndrome ", wtf is going on with our announcer! It is bad enough saying that a goal has been scored by "no 99 sponsored by Makinson, Waterston, Smedley-Dewsbury, Completelywrongun Solicitors and Graverobbers, Hawkes" but at least be consistent and know which subs are coming on for whom, especially for the home side! Very poor! As for Colchester, they made it so easy for us after the second goal. As a Rovers fan, I'd be distraught at having two men back at an attacking corner where they should have been throwing the keeper into the box. It was as if they were holding on for a draw. I'm glad I'm not a Colchester fan, expecially since they had a few talented lads playing today. Not the best we'll perform this season but some lovely interplay that, if we become more consistent, will rip some teams to pieces.

Player
Manager
John King
A few thoughts, now I'm home after the game.

Defensively, we were very solid. Doohan seemed much more confident about coming off his line and claiming the ball, cutting down any opportunities for attacks. The central defensive pairing and both wing-backs played well.

Midfield. Hawkes took his goal well and there was some good link-up play on the left with Bristow and others. O'Connor was very good, mostly defensive work. Less sure about the other pair. McAlear started brightly and brought a scrambled save out of their keeper early on, but more than most he seemed to be jaded by the exertions of midweek. Nolan seems to be getting more involved and there were signs that the mental toughness needed was returning. He was involved in and won a challenge in the build-up to the Hawkes goal. He got in some good positions but didn't always make the most of them, More generally, there seemed to be an imbalance between the left, where there was good link-up play with the midfield, whereas Dacres-Cogley was usually left by himself to deliver on the right. Think that may have been a factor in Hughes coming on, but if we're looking at adding bodies a player who can function as the right-sided equivalent of Hawkes would be welcome.

Attack. Thought both forwards spent too much time outside the box. Hemmings did well for his part in the first goal, but neither was around to attack the spilled ball from McAlear's shot or some quality crosses, mostly from JDC. Burton took his goal well, good cross from Lewis to set it up. While I don't think Jake will be the answer to our scoring problems, today's performance puzzles me as to why Micky was so quick to loan him out to Marine.

Likely to be my last Rovers game. until October. It will be interesting to see who comes in and how the current players develop in that time.
I agree about the failure to attack crosses. In addition to the two great deliveries from Cogley, there were excellent balls from the left in the opening exchanges from Hemmings and Nolan which nobody got on the end of. Hope your absence from Prenton Park is not enforced.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boz