• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v AFC Wimbledon

Rovers v AFC Wimbledon
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, December 21, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, December 21, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Looks like 3 at the back with Morris and Caprice as wing-backs. Ferrier and RHM up front. Wasn’t clear from my viewpoint if our goal had crossed the line, but flag-happy AR in front of the JK gave it. Had a good spell after that goal but didn’t convert into another goal and fear that may come back to haunt us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We've been good, they've been poor. Let's hope for some more second half.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A very welcome and encouraging win. I didn't like to tempt fate by saying it earlier, but this season in the league whenever we have taken the lead, we have always gone on to win. I look forward to some happy reports for a change.

Player
aldo
sounds like a much improved rovers . but we need a forward or two who can score . Payne and Mullin are of the radar . we need some fire power up top . NP has said the pitch will be sorted at the end of the season . not great if its getting batterd . well done rovers we now need to follow it up with another good away day

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think that is the best we have played at home this season, with the possible exception of the Peterborough game. We dominated for the majority of the match against a frankly woeful Wimbledon side, and the only frustration is that we did not take more of our chances and win by four or five as we deserved to. Wimbledon rallied for ten minutes at the start of the second half, but offered very little indeed, while our workrate and a lot of our football was excellent.

The midfield has come in for a lot of criticism this season, but I thought Danns and Perkns were very good today, intelligent in their use of the ball and showing plenty of energy without it. It helped that Wimbledon had absolutely no quality in the centre of the pitch whatsoever, but we should still give credit where it is due. I also thought Connor continued his recent improvement and had a good game.

I have been saying for weeks that Hepburn Murphy has potential, and I am pleased that, with better service from midfield, he finally showed it in front of the Prenton Park faithful. In addition to the goal, he made several good runs which tormented their defence and should have scored a second in the final ten minutes.

At the back, I thought the centre halves were largely untroubled, with Liam having another solid game. Jake was much better than he has been recently, both defensively and going forwards. Chapman was very solid and his distribution is impressive.

The referee was absolutely appalling.

A huge victory and it was good to hear a more positive atmosphere at Prenton Park today, after a few difficult weeks. Onwards and upwards.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Great win today and the lads played really well. Had we been more clinical in front of goal we could have scored at least another three. Side crying out for an out and out striker so we can put teams to the sword.

Player
Manager
John King
Still no Wilson, what’s the crack there, I wonder. Seemed very quiet pre-match heading to the ground, lowest Saturday crowd this season on the cards? Agree with RLC the pitch.
A very healthy pre-Christmas attendance of 6,285.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A very healthy pre-Christmas attendance of 6,285.
Indeed. There seemed to be more lateish arrivals than normal, enjoying themselves in the Trust tent perhaps.

It was a game we deserved to win, but the visitors came back stronger in the second half, although apart from a cross along our goalmouth which only needed a touch to convert, I couldn’t recall any other major threats to our goal and the loanee keeper did well. Rovers had a handful of decent chances for a second and didn’t take any of them, which kept the crowd on tenterhooks.

The referee let a lot go. While I don’t think he was very good, others would have carded Perkins high boot which caught the Wimbledon player, he didn’t even judge it a foul, while the spat between Danns and Ferrier, where heads were locked together could have seen a red card from some. Anyone know what that was all about?

Good games from Chapman, the trio of central defenders, Connor Jennings and RHM. Ferrier I’m unsure about. Perkins was better, but not back to his best, lost a few balls and didn’t track back, the kind of thing he’d yell out a team-mate over. Danns seemed to cover more ground.

Player
Manager
John King
There were four or five incidents where Wimbledon players should have been booked, before Nelson was yellow carded. Nelson's offence was very similar to several committed by Wimbledon players earlier in the game. I thought the referee was terrible.

I agree about Ferrier, up to a point. He offers more than Mullin or Payne, with his pace and energy, but I am not convinced he will be prolific. In fairness, I don't think he was fully fit today.

We had more than a 'handful' of chances over the game as a whole. Six or seven very good chances I would say.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
the spat between Danns and Ferrier, where heads were locked together could have seen a red card from some. Anyone know what that was all about?
Ferrier thought Danns should have squared the ball for him. From my vantage point, Danns was perfectly entitled to shoot.

Ferrier has a bit of a reputation as a hothead, but - to trot out a cliche - I would rather see players arguing than not caring.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A very good performance on a very poor pitch against a very poor and limited team, we. Fully deserved the win which really should have been by several more goals?.

if we can play like that more often and strengthen well in January we should be able to pull clear of the bottom 3

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Ferrier thought Danns should have squared the ball for him. From my vantage point, Danns was perfectly entitled to shoot
A few minutes earlier RHM was in a fairly similar position to Danns and, as strikers do, went for goal and hit side netting. A quick look up might have spotted Morgs.
Déjà vu for Morgs.
Thankfully it petered out and they made up on pitch and when Danns was subbed.
Passion. That's what you want.
Priceless points on a pudding pitch. Was there a worse playing surface than than that in the bin?
Don't think any players need shaming after that.
Do like Chapman though. He's not going to replace Scottie for me but you can see why MM brought him in.

Player
Manager
John King
Do like Chapman though. He's not going to replace Scottie for me but you can see why MM brought him in.
Transfer listed by Peterborough, but has a good pedigree.

If the budget is a bit bigger next season and we want someone to compete with Scott, he could be worth considering. He seems solid and has a rapport with the fans.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If we win our game in hand on the Wimbledon and Rochdale, we overtake them. But this league has begun to spread out, so it's a long way to mid-table. I think we will probably spend most of the season in the bottom third, although I am confident we will stay up.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson

If the budget is a bit bigger next season and we want someone to compete with Scott, he could be worth considering. He seems solid and has a rapport with the fans.
For a week by week signing his attitude was tremendous, when we scored, walking to, Kop second half, he was committed.
And..... he's no mean stopper. He does look the biz.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
With regard to Chapman, I thought his distribution was better than Scotty, tended to mix it up a bit. Very few of his kicks went straight out or for a throw-in to the opponent.

We certainly had enough chances to win the game more comfortably. A couple of one on ones not converted, while CJ a bit unlucky with the shot coming back off the woodwork.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop

No no no! He was clueless with every ball that came across the box; nailed to his line. He gave a physical presence and saved every shot directly at him but that was all. His distribution was generally good.
, to be fair.

Player
aldo
the pitch is a shocker MP needs to address it as they have said they will in the summer . i know they still don,t have a manager for it . its just guys helping out . witch is crazy .. at the end of the day w won that,s all that matters . we just need to follow it up now and get moving .

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Mom today by a country mile was Manny - never put a foot wrong. Ferrier had a fantastic first half; he put so much effort in that I'm not surprised that he died so quickly. I don't think there was a bad performance in our team but we do lack goals.