• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v AFC Wimbledon

Rovers v AFC Wimbledon
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, December 21, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, December 21, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Rovers now enter into the crucial festive period with handful of games over the Xmas and New Year period.

First up is a home fixture against fellow strugglers AFC Wimbledon who are just three points ahead of Tranmere in 19th.
The Dons' last game was a decent 2-1 home win against Doncaster.

Rovers need to start picking up points quickly as they find themselves 4 places off the bottom with only four wins this season.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This really is a six pointer. Better to win this even than beat the likes of Ipswich and Wycombe. A win would be a great boost. A defeat would dent our hopes and spirits.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with the sentiments above.

This feels like a watershed game. If we fail to win or, God forbid, lose, we could be cut well adrift in the relegation zone by the New Year, given the difficulty of the fixtures that follow.

Wimbledon will present difficult opponents. Their form has improved significantly since the sacking of Wally Downes, and in Marcus Forss they have something we lack: a prolific goalscorer. There are a few other familiar names in their squad, including a couple of players we came across in our National League days, ex-Maidstone striker Joe Piggott and ex-Dover winger Mitch Pinnock. They also have reasonable experience and quality with players such as Scott Wagstaff and Anthony Wordsworth.

It will be interesting to see how we set up. With CBT suspended, it will be difficult to play 442 and Micky might be tempted to revert to three at the back. Hopefully Ferrier will be fit enough to start and Wilson will be back in the squad.

I think the gate will be similar to the Accrington game, with 3-400 from South West London.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Their away from is awful we need a win and I think we will 2 1

Player
ian goodison
couldn,t beat southend which means I,m not confident on Saturday, hope either Wilson/woods are fit to replace caprice who has been shocking lately, no pace in mid-field would like micky to start with 2 up front and stop relying on people coming up to help the striker,

Player
Manager
John King
Ferrier is fit to play and it would be interesting to see what he and Payne could do together up front.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don’t know much about the current Wimbledon side, but as RLC indicates they’ve had a bounce from appointing a new boss. Last time we played them at PP, Everton loanee George Green got the equaliser, before the visitors were denied what looked a stonewall penalty, as the spoils were shared.

Unsure how we’ll line up for this one. 3 at the back and wing-backs seems a bit defensive against a fellow struggler. Surprised Payne has dropped off the radar recently and he may feature. With CBT banned for 2 games, perhaps Walker-Rice will get a place on the bench.

Prediction; can’t see a big travelling support from the Dons the weekend before Christmas and expecting a lower crowd than Accrington. Think we’ll take something from the game but not confident of all 3 points.

ADD

Player
Norwood
This game is a concern for me also- yes their away form is terrible but then our home form is not much better. They have also gone on a mini run having taken 7 points from their last 3 games whereas we have taken the sum total of 1 point. As such, I am nervous that we will feel the pressure of a "must win" and play poorly.
As to a team, I really am struggling here as to MM's thinking as I was convinced Woods and Wilson would have started last game but no with Wilson not even on the bench. I suspect he will start with Ferrier and RHM will start up front with Payne again on the bench, although I would be tempted to have Payne upfront with Ferrier from the off. For me Woods and Wilson need to start but maybe MM does not fancy them?
Realistically we cannot say this is a season defining game but as stated above if we lose then we will likely be 8 points away from the bottom of the mid-table which even this early on will seem difficult to close.

Player
Manager
John King
I am not sure there is much evidence Micky does not fancy Wilson, given the number of games he has started. However, I am sure he has reservations about Woods because of his fitness record.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Shame about Woods. He looks a decent player but cannot stay fit.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Knowing Micky he may play Jennings behind a lone striker like Ferrier. Hopefully not because as has been said above, we’re at home against of the poorest sides in the division with an appalling away record - let’s be positive and play 2 strikers up top!!

Player
aldo
we gotta take a chance or we are just going to keep struggling and we are eating up games we need a couple of wins

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
What's the goalkeeping situation? Scott is definitely out, but has Aaron's loan been extended, will Luke get the nod or will someone else be drafted in? No word from the club. Maybe it is still not decided.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
It does feels like quite a seminal afternoon and I have no confidence in predicting the result at all. I'm pretty sure that we won't be played off the park. However, our inability to keep a clean sheet and lack of goals suggests that we would have to play them off the park to feel 100% confident of winning. Assuming we concede, we'll need 2 to win so I'm optimistically going for a 2-1 win - but wouldn't be surprised at a 1-1 or even a single goal defeat if the gods are against us. Perhaps it's not seminal at all as we embark on our 3 month unbeaten run in the New Year!

Player
Manager
John King
What's the goalkeeping situation? Scott is definitely out, but has Aaron's loan been extended, will Luke get the nod or will someone else be drafted in? No word from the club. Maybe it is still not decided.
Chapman's loan has been extended. We can only extend the loan one week at a time due to EFL rules on emergency loans.

Player
Manager
John King
MK Dons two down at Gillingham. Let's hope there is more good news to come this afternoon.

Player
Manager
John King
Ferrier and RHM up front. Looks like 4312 with Jennings behind the strikers.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Still no Wilson, what’s the crack there, I wonder. Seemed very quiet pre-match heading to the ground, lowest Saturday crowd this season on the cards? Agree with RLC the pitch.