• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (3) v Gills (1)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Gillingham

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (3) v Gills (1)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, November 25, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, November 25, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Very impressive first half and playing some good football. Just feel we need more of a presence up front but we’ll likely need another goal at some point

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Dennis should have at least hit the target, Apter is absolutely quality and we need keep getting on him the ball, Mcgee made good double save.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not a bad half at all. Some good chances created and another one for Apter who seems to have some quality and knows where the goal is. Gillingham pass it around well but there is no end product. Hopefully we can finish this off in the second half.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Not a bad half at all. Some good chances created and another one for Apter who seems to have some quality and knows where the goal is. Gillingham pass it around well but there is no end product. Hopefully we can finish this off in the second half.
Certain goal bar Turnbull head led to a double save, pretty even so tad lucky at last. Goal was their error

ADD

Player
Norwood
Disappointing goal to concede but overall much better and a lot more confidence in all the players clearly coming back. Davies and Turnbull much better at the back. Still need to keep the ball better but that will come.
Need to get ourselves safe before the January window as Apter doing so much now I suspect he will be recalled.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sounds good, though you might be a tad optimistic about securing safety by the end of the year. ADD

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Win, clean sheet, goals!
Just what was needed.
Never had a doubt.
Some weird results tho!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought we were superb, the best performance of the season by a distance.

Adkins has had plenty of criticism since taking over, but I thought he got it spot on tactically today. Gillingham have some decent players and were always going to dominate the ball with the spare man in midfield. However, we kept our shape and let them have possession in non-threatening areas and they barely got in behind the back four all game. I thought some of their possession was a bit too 'easy' at times, and I would feel a bit more comfortable if we had a midfielder who could get about the pitch and tackle, but we were very well drilled defensively.

At the other end of the pitch, Apter was our outlet and was a constant threat. We were the more dangerous of the two sides and the scoreline did not flatter us.

Individually, I thought the two centre halves were back to their very best. Walker was very good on the ball and produced some sublime passes, including the through ball for Dennis in the first half and the cross for Connor's goal. Apter is absolute gold dust and, as well as we played this afternoon, I am not convinced we would have won the game without him. We were deserved winners, but there were a couple of excellent saves from McGee at vital moments.

This afternoon we actually looked a solid, enterprising team, even against decent opposition, and for the first time this season I feel pretty confident we can get out of trouble.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Probably our most impressive performance under adkins so far
Gilligham might think 3-1 flattered us as they put us under lots of pressure but the back four and McGee were excellent.
Hendry and Walker worked hard and Apter was a threat all game.
A really big win with sutton and FGR drawing. Just need to pick up an away win now.
Pleased it looks like we now have a settled back four and Davies and JT were once again very good as were the full backs.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I thought we were superb, the best performance of the season by a distance.

Adkins has had plenty of criticism since taking over, but I thought he got it spot on tactically today. Gillingham have some decent players and were always going to dominate the ball with the spare man in midfield. However, we kept our shape and let them have possession in non-threatening areas and they barely got in behind the back four all game. I thought some of their possession was a bit too 'easy' at times, and I would feel a bit more comfortable if we had a midfielder who could get about the pitch and tackle, but we were very well drilled defensively.

At the other end of the pitch, Apter was our outlet and was a constant threat. We were the more dangerous of the two sides and the scoreline did not flatter us.

Individually, I thought the two centre halves were back to their very best. Walker was very good on the ball and produced some sublime passes, including the through ball for Dennis in the first half and the cross for Connor's goal. Apter is absolute gold dust and, as well as we played this afternoon, I am not convinced we would have won the game without him. We were deserved winners, but there were a couple of excellent saves from McGee at vital moments.

This afternoon we actually looked a solid, enterprising team, even against decent opposition, and for the first time this season I feel pretty confident we can get out of trouble.
I hadn’t realised walker put the cross in for CJ. He also played a good ball to apter for the third. Need to keep him fit and hopefully Turnbull limping off was precautionary.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think Connor Jennings booking means he misses the Mansfield game?

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Walker got both assists. Seven points from three games, is it possible to be in contention now?
But a corner turned , solid throughout but a late goal again.
Much better, shape, formation, set up, desire and could I mention clinical?
Positives!!!!!

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
I was impressed by Dennis's work-rate today. Ok, he should have done much better with the one-on-one in the first half but, more generally, his closing down and pressing led to a lot of hasty clearances from the Gills defence. He was proof that you don't actually have to touch the ball very often to nevertheless make a really good contribution :)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good effort from the lads today. Apter wont be with us for too long if he keeps putting in those performances and chipping in with goals but it shows what a bit of extra quality can do and takes the pressure off during games. We need that outlet so hopefully we can keep hold of him for a big longer, at least long enough to get out of trouble. Great return as @Keith Hill (Bolton) mentions above. I don't have too many concerns about our home form now that Nigel has them well organised, we just need to crack the away form and we will slowly climb up the table.