• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (3) v Gills (1)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Gillingham

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (3) v Gills (1)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, November 25, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, November 25, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well after the slightly disappointing end to Rovers' last match when all three points looked likely, Rovers play hosts on Saturday when they entertain The Gills. Gillingham are having a decent season so far currently placed 8th with 9 wins, 1 draw and 8 losses so the chance of this being a draw is slim. They seem to blow hot and cold each week so it's diffcult to know which way this will go.

They won their last match 3-1, a good home win against Salford with Mahoney, Nichols and Jefferies on the scoresheet. They lost 2-0 against Wrexham and in October, they suffered a thumping (4-1) loss to Walsall along with another 4 losses and 3 wins.

Rovers' last match against Gillingham ended in a 2-0 defeat.

And a repeat of our last home game against The Gills would be most welcome
This wont be an easy game for Rovers and I just hope the home form will make this a competitive game.

Last edited:
Although their away record isn’t bad in terms of points, they’re the second lowest scorers away from home in the division, with just 6. No prizes for guessing who’s the lowest.

Hard to predict an outcome, but it should be a decent test of our confidence and resilience.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I'll settle for not losing matches now, plenty of draws and the odd win. We are clearly bottom six at the mo, so have to deal with better sides mainly.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The late goal at sutton has put more pressure on up and coming games and with a trip to Mansfield after this, we could do with beating Gillingham. They are well backed and I thought it was harsh to sack Neil Harris when they did.
They’ll have promotion aspirations but hopefully there lack of away goals proves decisive and we can nick a win.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hawkes back in contention for this, while Walker played at Sutton carrying an injury. If he's out and Merrie remains unfit, the options are playing without a defensive midfielder or deploying O'Connor there. On his past record, Adkins will probably opt for the former.

New manager bounce potential for the Gills, fear we will do well to get anything out of this game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It is only one game but there is pressure as we’ll likely lose at Mansfield and if we lose on Saturday then we’ll be in the mire again (not that we’re out of it).
Both sutton and FGR have winnable games on Saturday.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes, we really need three points on Saturday. Even with our slight recent improvement, an away game at Mansfield looks a write-off unfortunately.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's still makes me wonder what is wrong with this team? Some think the team this season is better than last years so where are we going wrong? I'd have thought results would have improved, and although you could say their is a marginal improvement, we are still struggling to really get a run going and still sit in the bottom three. Why is the away form so appalling? Losing Norris is a big blow again but surely it is not just down to one player. Is this team really as good as we think it is?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It's still makes me wonder what is wrong with this team? Some think the team this season is better than last years so where are we going wrong? I'd have thought results would have improved, and although you could say their is a marginal improvement, we are still struggling to really get a run going and still sit in the bottom three. Why is the away form so appalling? Losing Norris is a big blow again but surely it is not just down to one player. Is this team really as good as we think it is?
It is a mixture of things Ian. The decision to appoint Dawes, playing 4-3-3 which didn’t get the best out of players like Dennis, the Norris injury, the full back farce, lots of midfielders but a number not contributing anything, poor results meaning lack of confidence especially in the defence. I’m still not convinced Nigel is the answer but hope he will be.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes, we have got some good individuals on paper, but the squad is seriously unbalanced and we have again been hampered by bringing in players with serious injury issues. The recruitment ultimately has not been good enough, as in many recent seasons.

As Sparky says, we have also been poorly managed and probably poorly coached for some time.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Last season we had a side which struggled to score but knew how to defend. This season we have no problem scoring but can’t seem to keep a clean sheet. With the former, we finished in mid table. With the latter, we will always struggle.

We have similar players to last season, if anything a stronger squad. The difference is down to organisation and management.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I still think that we are still not performing and with bad habits, cos of the losing run, the almost unbelievable changes in the first eleven every game, form coming and going individually that seem to be exposed, cos of shape, no protection from midfield.
Injurys happen but squad overall better but still not good enough. Lack of experienced leadership off and on the pitch.
Add in the mix of lack of confidence, reliance on a few to get a result. We have lost any momentum of gaining results in the past twelve months. And the football is poor.
I could go on but, the club has lost its mojo!
The heart has all but gone.
We will need others to be worse than us, and can't see us gaining enough points.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I still think that we are still not performing and with bad habits, cos of the losing run, the almost unbelievable changes in the first eleven every game, form coming and going individually that seem to be exposed, cos of shape, no protection from midfield.
Injurys happen but squad overall better but still not good enough. Lack of experienced leadership off and on the pitch.
Add in the mix of lack of confidence, reliance on a few to get a result. We have lost any momentum of gaining results in the past twelve months. And the football is poor.
I could go on but, the club has lost its mojo!
The heart has all but gone.
We will need others to be worse than us, and can't see us gaining enough points.
Definitely a lack of leaders.

If you think we had the likes of Scottie, McNulty and Harris in the spine.

Then we had Murphy, Clarke, Spearing and Vaughan.

We’ve got nothing like that now sadly

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Unchanged line up from the sutton game.

Hawkes on the bench.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Weird no Taylor or Jolley on bench so basically nobody to come on up front unless we plan to throw a CB up front? (Saunders doesn't count in my book).
Hard to feel confident tbh - would take a draw.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It’s a very negative bench for a home game. Taylor/Jolley instead of Leake would make more sense. Be interested in hearing the updates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Hopefully we can get a win, limited options on the bench if things not going well

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Dennis misses a one on one. Doesn’t even hit the target. Poor

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Apter at it again! Seizes on a loose ball and fires home!