• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (2) v county (1)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Newport

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (2) v county (1)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, December 9, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, December 9, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Why look for negatives? We are a Division Two club currently fighting to stay in the league. What exactly are your expecting from this group of players? Cut them some slack.
I am channeling what the management will be thinking. Far easier to address issues when winning and to improve. Than when struggling and confidence is low as was clearly the case few weeks ago.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Why look for negatives? We are a Division Two club currently fighting to stay in the league. What exactly are your expecting from this group of players? Cut them some slack.
I agree. We’re not in a position to go out and buy league two players who are perfect.

Prenton Park was buzzing at full time yesterday and if people are focusing on a number of negatives then they really need some more festive cheer!

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
I am channeling what the management will be thinking. Far easier to address issues when winning and to improve. Than when struggling and confidence is low as was clearly the case few weeks ago.

Good to have a psychic onboard……….now, if you could channel what the opposition management are thinking, we may well have cracked it!

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Good to have a psychic onboard……….now, if you could channel what the opposition management are thinking, we may well have cracked it!
No can do, as we don't get to observe what they do from week to week. It's not easy with Nigel as we seem to get so many unreported injuries. Dawes was impossible. Long gone are the days when Kingy swapped Morrissey and Malkin second half, as his only personnel change for weeks on end.
Yesterday I and others were able to guess the line up, maybe a good sign as not long ago it appeared a lottery. Stability is nice

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
What we gonna do if Saunders finally scored a goal its been age's since he last scored he keeps getting into the right areas and keeps finding the keeper. He surely has to score then you never know he might get another. Shame if he could just add goals to his game he would be lethal with his pace

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
But no goals in 19 games this season and only 3 goals since he joined the club really did there homework on him and to think we payed cash for him.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
What we gonna do if Saunders finally scored a goal its been age's since he last scored he keeps getting into the right areas and keeps finding the keeper. He surely has to score then you never know he might get another. Shame if he could just add goals to his game he would be lethal with his pace
But no goals in 19 games this season and only 3 goals since he joined the club really did their homework on him and to think we payed cash for him.
Like you AM, I’m not entirely sure why we signed him. His goal scoring record has never been good and in 4.5 years in the EFL, he has managed just nine goals. And at 26, he is unlikely to develop much further. Unfortunately, he came through grassroots football rather than having the all-round development that a professional academy can give a player. And it shows. Yes, he’s fast and can beat many defenders, but until he can hit the target regularly he will just be nuisance value.

Part of it may be down to confidence, so if he can somehow bag two or three goals in quick succession, he may become more clinical. But if not, I see his only value as a late substitute to keep tired opposition defenders occupied.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We tried to sign Saunders the summer before we actually signed him, he is quick but he cannot finish unfortunately

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think with Saunders when we signed him we were desperate for goals. Hemmings had gone off the boil and the likes of mumbongo and burton weren’t good enough. So it made sense and most of the SWA were happy when we signed him but you do wonder how many other teams would have taken him as a goalscorer? He worked his socks off and it’s ironic that he does that rooster celebration when he scores, but is a bit of a headless chicken.

Only a squad player for us and if his contract is up at the end of the season I’d be surprised if we kept him.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought he was actually quite poor when he came off the bench on Saturday.

There was one counter attack where we had a two v two with Jennings in the box and he hit the first man as usual, with no finesse on the final ball.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I didn’t think Saunders was that bad on Saturday tbh. Won a free-kick, gave the Newport defenders something different to think about and there were one or two overlaps with O’Connor. Don’t know if Apter was carrying his injury for a while before he came off, as Rob seemed to be quieter than usual.
That said, it would be no surprise if he’d get released when his deal runs out in the summer.

Reactions: Ian

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
The club have missed a trick this weekend we have had a magnificent striker in the building on Saturday they should have asked muir if he could talk or just give some advice to harvey. we never know they might have but i get a feeling he will go in a few weeks time with a fair few others we will have to move some out to bring a few in

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Interesting listening to Muir how he was talking about not settling anywhere until he got to Tranmere and boy did he settle. Some players just fit at certain clubs for whatever the reasons.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Finally able to watch the full game rerun as was travelllng at the weekend and have to say given the conditions I thought we were really really good. Yes still some mistakes as DB and others have pointed out but equally we attacked with verve, speed and some real quality.
Walker (aside from one awful cross field ball which they could have scored from) was quality and he and Hendry bossed midfield wonderfully (plus Walker made 90 minutes which is remarkable in it's own right!!).
Overall little to fault in my book - yes Yarney makes me nervous and it was interesting how the Newport commentary team kept stressing how he was the weak link that they needed to expoit. Thankfully we had so much posession second half they never had a chance!
Confidence is there now across the board and even without Norris we could have had 3 or 4 easily today. Just looked at the table and joint fourth best in the form stakes over the past 6 matches...