• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (2) v county (1)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Newport

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (2) v county (1)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, December 9, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, December 9, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Well deserved and great to see us come from behind to win. Still too many shaky moments and losses of concentration. We were fairly dominant in a second half that was much more end to end than you would normally expect against Newport. The run continues; onwards and upwards!

Reactions: Boz

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Very good second half. We had to battle and the conditions weren't great but I had a feeling we'd win. We now have spirit and a battling attitude. Early on this season, we'd have lost that game. Onwards and upwards for Rovers!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A freezing afternoon ended with a red hot atmosphere as Connor fired in a deserved winner.

We started the game brightly and flashed a few crosses into the box that no one got on the end of. The visitors then had a spell of their own and looked a bit sharper in the final third at that point. Ex Bala Town Will Evans striker finished well to give Newport the lead. Davies hit the bar with a header but it was a frustrating end to the first half.

Second half the game became stretched at times and suited us. Down the left wood, hendry and Morris were linking up well and woods cross found Morris to make it 1-1. I sensed we could get a winner but thought it was too late when Dennis hit the post only for their defender to deflect his second shot to Connor who send the fans into meltdown.

a deserved win after a spirited Second half performance in very difficult conditions. Hendry and Morris stood out for me with the latter getting the sponsors MOM.

now 6 points off the bottom two, and only 10 off the play offs :)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A deserved victory against awkward opponents in appalling conditions.

As Sparky says, we started the game brightly and dominated the first fifteen minutes. However, we then had a very shaky spell where we did not deal with Newport's physicality and Bogle's presence in the box, with Yarney in particular struggling. The opening goal had been coming and I am not sure we really regained our composure in the remainder of the half, with a few reasonable moves but not much end product.

However, as we have become accustomed to in recent weeks, great character was shown in the second period which we largely dominated. There was a slight dip in performance after Apter went off injured (hopefully nothing serious) and I thought our chance of three points may have slipped away. But the players regrouped and the winner was deserved.

Individually, I thought Davies, Walker and Jennings had very good games, but I agreed with the sponsor's choice of Morris as man of the match.

A lot of credit has to go to the players for the quality of the football in the second half. The conditions were almost unplayable at times, but we still played plenty of enterprising stuff. I believe this was our first victory from a losing position for over two years, and the spirit and confidence was visible in the players' faces at the final whistle.

Barring an unforeseen calamity, I think we will continue to climb the table. Can we get that elusive away win at Walsall next week ?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Adkins confirmed Apter has a calf injury, hopefully not top bad.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
The weather ruined the game somewhat. It is still bad out there, blowing a gale around our house.
After today, I hope NA has some cash for another CB. We did look uncomfortable first half but improved second.
Result was far more important and the relief when the second went in.
It is much improved now, the set up, confidence and tactics are clearly much improved. Let's get an away win next Saturday.
We did what we had to and moved above Colchester.
I'm a lot happier but still wary of another bad run.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hard to judge players too much given the conditions but as RLC points out Yarney had a difficult first half against bogle although he is a handful. I’m not sure we’ll have the funds to bring in another back up centre half in January and would much rather we bring in another striker with some presence even though we’re scoring goals quite regularly at the moment.
That said the squad remains fairly large and if our upturn in form continues then Nigel may be quite relaxed about bringing more players in

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, there is quite a drop off in quality from Davies and Turnbull to their replacements, albeit Yarney is the best of the rest.

Walker was outstanding again today and if we can keep him fit (big if) we have one of the best midfielders in the division. His use of the ball is excellent.

Last edited:
Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Yes, there is quite a drop off in quality from Davies and Turnbull to their replacements, albeit Yarney is the best of the rest.

Walker was outstanding again today and if we can keep him fit (big if) we have one of the best midfielders in the division. His use of the ball is excellent.
His other attribute is with set pieces, his height helps, and when a bal! Is launched, again his height adds to the set up.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Largely agree with what's been posted already. Initially thought that Jennings looked offside for our winner, not having spotted the deflection from the Newport player, but we did enough in the second half to have deserved the win.

Yarney isn't of the calibre of Turnbull, but I thought he mostly did ok. The exceptions were not leaving a ball for McGee when the keeper had clearly yelled at him to do that and giving a couple of soft free-kicks away. There didn't seem to be as much interplay between the central defensive pair as usual, but no harm came of that. I thought Connor Wood had a good game, capped with the assist for Morris' goal and a lot of the early doubts about his ability have been dispelled. Rob Apter had a quieter game than of late, even before his calf injury, while Saunders had an encouraging cameo

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with Boz about wood and I think Nigel alluded to it post match that having a settled side is helping and both full backs at present are doing well.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, Wood seems to be settling in nicely now. Forgetting the fact that he couldn't score in a brothel, Saunders also did well when he came on and is exactly what we should be using him for. His pace is electric and so bringing him on against tired legs can really open up opportunities late on in the game. It's amazing what a good run can do to player confidence. Unbeaten in five league games now and at last we seemed to have turned a corner. I hope we have a decent Xmas.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
And i think we need paramedics out for the poor crossbar its still shacking after that morris hit god he hit that well. now if we get a win in our next game we could move up the table and then be looking in a good place

• Haha
Player
Aldo
I guess its human nature that when you lose you look for faults in players and when you win you look for attributes. So many of the the players are improving , Wood - whose ability I doubted earlier in the season - has a really good understanding with Morris , Apter - couldn't get a start - but now is pure class at this level, Walker - had his detractors - a beast at this level. I could go on - its a joy to see the players improve. Yarney is currently 3rd in the pecking order behind Davies and Turnbull for CB , hopefully can similarly improve, and he does have more pace than than the other two, something that can't be coached. If Palios plan is to improve players with the hope to sell them on it looks like it is starting to bear fruit.

Player
Manager
John King
I am not sure I agree with your final sentence. Of the starting eleven yesterday only O'Connor was brought here as part of the 'development' programme, and I don't think any would have a substantial resale value.

The majority of our better performers this season have been old stagers like Jennings, McGee and (when available) Norris and Apter is a loanee.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Taking a lead from Mellow, I always look for negatives when we win and vice versa. All good yesterday across the board with some sublime efforts in places however,

McGee again caused errors that could but were not fatal. The penalty claim, weak one, happened because he came went back then came again half-heartedly leaving Davies in a precarious position. If he had committed he'd have claimed the ball without any contest. Late on he didn't it again ending up on the edge of the box while outfielders had to protect an open goal, just indecision. He's an impressive shot stopper but his positioning and decision making is poor. He is the end product at his age and nothing more than average.
Wood disguises his defensive frailties with attacking verve. However he takes a defensive opportunity to win the ball into a 50-50 scrap which he will inevitably lose at times. Left footed Turnbull helps his full back a lot more and Wood misses him. Yarney is a liability and non-league level, I guess the other lad is position 4th for a reason.
Saunders like quite a few available at regional athletics clubs has frightening pace off the bench, however his footballing talent and developed technique is very poor. Many like him go too fast for their brain.
I'd look to replace all the above next summer and a complete team full currently on the books asap. Couple of months ago I'd have struggled to find enough positives to match those negatives. Jenno had a mixed game yesterday, the header was clear cut. You always need to jump for headers, he didn't and the power and direction comes from your ankles not your neck, a tame effort. Walker's Beckenbauer run fed Jenno when had a split second chance to strike as it ran across him, maybe it was out of his stride pattern however.................He still scored we won.
Re-development, sorry this is not a plus. Taylor is yet to be assessed by the game fully. LOC is on the verge of being another Cogley walk out and nobody else is vaguely worth a fee due to age really.