• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (2) v Bradford City (1)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Bradford

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (2) v Bradford City (1)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, October 3, 2023 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, October 3, 2023 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Adkins needs to change this quickly it really isn't working and we will lose this game if things don't change

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Penalty for foul on Saunders, keeper redeems himself and saves from Hawkes

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I've never thought Hawkes was a great penalty taker. Hey ho.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Poor penalty. The keeper knew about the shuffle and Josh fell for it

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
7 added on, this isn't doing my nerves any good

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Not convincing against a not convincing side, but won ugly. Felt a lot better after Accy. Starbucks need to google him!!!

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Jolley so out of his depth
I thought he fought manfully in a role only Norris out the current squad could play properly. Of the rest, Jolley is a good enough athlete and is brave enough to cause the CBs grief and give us a chance to win second balls.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Tbh it's been coming. He squeezed a couple in that could easily have been saved on another day.
Could not disagree more to be honest. He has not missed many, if any, for us, prior to today, and it was actually Bradford's gamesmanship that caused him to miss tonight. Hawkes was excellent in the second half.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was a deserved victory after an excellent second half performance.

In the first twenty minutes we carried on where we left off on Saturday. We looked very low on confidence and Bradford cut us open at will, with the lack of protection for the back four from the midfield a major issue again. On another day we could have been two or three down in that opening period. However, you could not fault the spirit or workrate of the players, and in the middle of the half we did get a foothold in the game, albeit without looking particularly convincing.

The second half was a huge improvement. We retained the ball much better, played some decent football, and finally got Hendry and Hawkes into the game, both of whom had very good halves. Aside from Cook's header, Bradford rarely threatened and our winner had been coming and was deserved. I think it is impressive that despite the penalty miss we did not buckle, and showed the character that has been lacking for most of the season.

Individually, I thought Walker was classy on the ball, but his lack of legs was still a problem at times. Jennings workrate was fantastic and McGhee again kept us in the game in the first twenty minutes. The two centre halves were pretty solid, and Woods improved at left back after a shaky first half. I was delighted that Morris scored the winner.

That is two wins from four games now under Adkins, and if that ratio continues for an extended period we will be well clear of trouble.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A better second half performance saw us grab a vital three points.
First half we were lucky to be ahead. Hendrys shot should have been saved whereas cook missed an easy header, they hit the post and McGee saved well with his feet.
Second half they started well and no surprise cookie headed in. Saunders who does like to roll around won us a penalty which as RLC says hawkes missed, partly due to their gamesmanship but the shuffle is always a risk if the keeper doesn’t go early.
You’d think after that the visitors would seize the momentum but we defended well and Jennings thru ball was finished well by Morris.
We held firm and got a massive win which takes us up to the dizzy heights of 22nd.

A few more points:

Wood - not convinced yet and he had a tough night.
Walker - did ok but once again hasn’t completed a 90 minutes. Can we afford to have a part time player?
Jolley - agree with higgy that if we want to keep Jennings in midfield then Charlie is probably the best option with Norris injuries. Dennis just isn’t suited to that line central role. Jolley does though look out of his depth and offers very little.
Saunders - worked hard but again doesn’t look like scoring. Missed a good chance first half where he lacked composure.

MOM for me was once again Connor Jennings but hendry did well as did the back four and hawkes.