• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (2) v Bradford City (1)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Bradford

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (2) v Bradford City (1)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, October 3, 2023 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, October 3, 2023 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Quick opportunity for Rovers to make amends for the weekend debacle, against a Bradford City team tipped for promotion, but who's manager Mark Hughes is under pressure after some indifferent results, most recently a home defeat to Walsall, leave them languishing in mid-table. Ex-Rovers Andy Cook, who invariably scores against us, plus left-back Liam Ridhalgh currently in their starting xi.

Defensively, I'm not confident that the frailties shown in the Wimbledon game can be easily fixed, particularly as we won't have the option of playing Turnbull in his correct central defensive position following his stupidity at getting sent off. Reckon to get anything out of this game, we'll need to score more than once.

It will be interesting to see how much Nigel changes for this one. I'd imagine Wood will come in at left-back against his old club. If O'Connor is fully fit, then arguably he's needed more as a protective defensive midfielder given Walker's fitness issues, leaving Pike at right-back. With both young strikers looking jaded, maybe the time to give Dennis a start, while I'd like to see Rob Apter in the starting xi too.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree that the front two need to be rested although I'd really like to see a departure from the 433. If Cook plays, he will probably have a field day against our defence. Even though we are at home, I'm still not confident and I think Bradford who we never really do well against will be a tougher test than Accy last week. I'll say a draw at best.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Think LOC will start not sure where. Don't think Jennings is suited to further back than the top of the triangle which we don't use. I'd go Morris, LOC and Hendry in the three. I'd use Apter wide at some point, Saunders looked lost yesterday possibly in a lost cause though

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It is a winnable game given the form of our opponent, but I’m sure they will say the same About us. Many think it’s a must win game for mark Hughes but others think he may be gone before tuesday.

As Boz says you’d expect Wood to come in at left back. Nigel has decisions to make. Walker who did well recently and did the pre match interview before Saturday, was hauled off at half time yesterday so clearly still issues with him. Agree that LOC may be worth a go in the middle to protect the back four. Up top I think it needs freshening up but there is little point in playing Dennis in a 4-3-3. He’s got no real physical presence and is wasted out wide. I’d also like a look at Apter as otherwise what is the point of signing players like him and Liverpools Norris.

Obviously we beat Accrington but don’t forget they had a sub keeper on and a man sent off, both in the first half. We may not benefit from such good luck on Tuesday. It easily go either way but it wouldn’t surprise me if we picked up a win, especially if we score first and the travelling fans make their feelings known.

However how often have we come up against a team out of form……and given them the boost they need….

a defeat for us and the atmosphere could turn toxic, especially against the owners….

Player
Goodison
I would say I’d take a draw at this point… but we desperately need a few wins to avoid getting cut adrift.

If Cook plays we really need to stop the crosses, especially as Ridehalgh has a quality cross on him given time and space. Think the situation calls for a Ronnie Moore, or dare I say it, Mickey Mellon-esque gritty 4-4-2 rigid, simple set up.

However, we seem to be treating 4-3-3 as one of the Ten Commandments so not convinced that will happen.

Dennis has to play otherwise we might as well release him.

I don’t think Walker has the fitness to play Saturday/Tuesday (his fitness record doesn’t inspire confidence) I also fear we’re going to keep playing him until he comes good and be in the vanarama before that happens!

I’d go for

McGhee

Pike Davies Yarney Davies (play our own not all these random signings! Suspect will be Wood)

Hawkes O’Connor Hendry Jennings

Dennis Saunders

I would like to see Hockenhull given a go at some point as I don’t think Turnbull should play for us again unless necessary- clearly a legend in his own mind and head elsewhere. I think Yarney might suit playing against Cook (famous last words).

No idea how much difference it makes but Jennings or McGhee should be captain as well.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with most others that the 433 has not worked and needs to be ditched, but I am not convinced that will happen.

I think O'Connor needs to come back into the side in midfield, but that would necessitate using Woods and Pike as the full backs, which Adkins has been reluctant to do. The Bradford supporters say that if you can keep Cook quiet you can quite easily beat them in their current state as they don't have much else to offer, but I am far from confident that we can keep him quiet given our defensive issues.

I would like Dennis to start in a front two, but I think in reality Taylor will be rested and replaced by Saunders in a front three.

I think we need four points from the next two games to avoid being cut adrift completely.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I would like to know our formation, line up before prediction!
But I believe the answer will be defeat, regardless.
Two utterly senseless reasons, whenever we need a win, we don't. And we will get more disruption in our back four once again.
And to top it off, Cook will get at least one as always!
But there is the hope of us getting some sort of result, as the fixtures ahead are daunting enough, if we don't!

Player
Aldo
433 can be used as 451 when under the cosh , so I am not sure the formation will decide it. Stopping the amo to Cookie will be really important , but that means stopping them getting any free kicks or corners which is unrealistic. Don't tell Tranmere but simple football can be really effective at times. Hoping that Bradford do a Turnbull , or Hughes has completely lost the dressing room. Everything is crossed for this one.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Yes please 442 or 451 with harvey of jennings playing behind Dennis. but no it wont happen you have to use brain cells to think of different formations

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Don't think Nigel is short of brains and his plans clearly go beyond formations. I can't second guess him currently, I'd imagine he is still working out his options. We play 4-5-1 when not in possession which is when these things count. Maybe he will change when his resources allow. Not sure Dennis would fit in at the moment, Saunders may appear with movement in the Taylor/Jolley set up?
The ten that finished had only two six footers, the wheel could come off again if we don't have Walker or McAlear ready

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
No idea about a team for tonight. Thinking Pike and Wood could do a wing back role ahead of forward midfielders making a stab of it. And given we might be under the cosh, the better defensive capabilities win the day for me.

2-2 (Dennis and Morris)

McGee
Pike, Davies, Yarney, Belehouan,Wood

Morris, O'Connor, Hendry
Jolley, Dennis

Salfordwhite

Player
Michael Ricketts
I would say I’d take a draw at this point… but we desperately need a few wins to avoid getting cut adrift.

If Cook plays we really need to stop the crosses, especially as Ridehalgh has a quality cross on him given time and space. Think the situation calls for a Ronnie Moore, or dare I say it, Mickey Mellon-esque gritty 4-4-2 rigid, simple set up.

However, we seem to be treating 4-3-3 as one of the Ten Commandments so not convinced that will happen.

Dennis has to play otherwise we might as well release him.

I don’t think Walker has the fitness to play Saturday/Tuesday (his fitness record doesn’t inspire confidence) I also fear we’re going to keep playing him until he comes good and be in the vanarama before that happens!

I’d go for

McGhee

Pike Davies Yarney Davies (play our own not all these random signings! Suspect will be Wood)

Hawkes O’Connor Hendry Jennings

Dennis Saunders

I would like to see Hockenhull given a go at some point as I don’t think Turnbull should play for us again unless necessary- clearly a legend in his own mind and head elsewhere. I think Yarney might suit playing against Cook (famous last words).

No idea how much difference it makes but Jennings or McGhee should be captain as well.

Dennis Saunders sounds like a 1970s number 9 :)

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
It will be interesting how many are at PP, with it being a Tuesday, windy and cold. Plus the kids being a school night?

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Just over 5k i recon who wants to oay to watch rubbish says everything that the club left the price to get in till 5 o'clock the attendances are dropping and it won't help things at all

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Looks like 4-3-3 again with Saunders in for Taylor.

Still no place for our 20 goal a season striker Dennis.

Wood and LOC start

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Tonight's programme attached.

Attachments

• Tranmere_BradfordC_SBL2_3102023 (1).pdf
    7.5 MB · Views: 64