• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (2) v Accy Stanley (0)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Accrington

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (2) v Accy Stanley (0)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, September 23, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 23, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Ian Goodison
Nigel has given everyone a lift his enthusiasm and positivity is infectious. Listening to Dawes mumbling like a poor man's Wayne Rooney after games who would be motivated by that.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Ok chaps Nigel is 2 game's in now how do we feel the team is changing with him in charge. At least he has got a win and got the boys scoring goals again

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Ok chaps Nigel is 2 game's in now how do we feel the team is changing with him in charge. At least he has got a win and got the boys scoring goals again
He has gone back to basics, his enthusiasm and positivity is there for all to see and the players are giving their all for him. There will be bumps in the road but I think Nigel will do a good job for however long he is in charge

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There is structure, organisation and the players have clear direction unlike the mess before it. You could see an immediate change last week even though we lost and a huge difference yesterday where the players actually looked like they were enjoying themselves too!

Also Adkins shows enormous passion on the sideline which I love to see.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Inspired switching Turnbull to LB. I thought he did well, with the added benefit of him winning balls in the air that our conventional LBs wouldn't. Used the ball well and went on some good runs.
Yarney was rock solid - read the game well.

I've said before that I think Jolley was the best replacement we have for Norris. Granted someway short, but he does chase, harry and put himself about. If we did play two up front Taylor or Dennis coud play off him. I think Nigel will stick with him in most formations.
Pike looks a clever footballer to me - even when he's been under the cosh, but i thought he had an outstanding game today against a reall good winger, and was definitely up there in the MoM stakes.

Apart from his goals I thought Hawkes looked more up for it today - testimony to Adkins there.
Onwards and upwards.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Inspired switching Turnbull to LB. I thought he did well, with the added benefit of him winning balls in the air that our conventional LBs wouldn't
It is interesting that Adkins said in his post match interview that part of the thinking behind having all three centre halves on the pitch was the size of the Accrington side, and their threat from set plays.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
It is interesting that Adkins said in his post match interview that part of the thinking behind having all three centre halves on the pitch was the size of the Accrington side, and their threat from set plays.
It was a great call tbh. And bonus giving Yarney a chance to show what he can do in a more natural position.
A good friend was in their dugout for the match. I did comment to him during their warm-up that they're a big side.
I'll speak to him Monday to get his view on the game. I feel guilty as I'd almost guaranteed him 3 points a couple of weeks a go. How things change.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Now caught up with the brief highlights and the Adkins post match interview. From the action it looked like Rovers were well-deserved winners and great to see Hawkes playing a significant role in the victory.

Agree with other comments about Adkins positivity. I like the way he name-checks some of the subs, those who aren't seeing much action as it helps with a feeling of inclusivity in the squad. It was good how he explained the rationale for Turnbull at left-back, though didn't get the impression it will be a regular thing.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
There is a certain irony that, despite the clamour for additional strikers in the Summer, we are scoring goals with 2 young lads up front and Saunders coming off the bench. We already had all 3 at the club. I know this is partly due fitness and injury, and I think Norris makes a difference, but it confirms the fact that our greater weakness was creativity/formation rather than somebody who could hit the back of the net.

Player
Manager
John King
There is a certain irony that, despite the clamour for additional strikers in the Summer, we are scoring goals with 2 young lads up front and Saunders coming off the bench. We already had all 3 at the club. I know this is partly due fitness and injury, and I think Norris makes a difference, but it confirms the fact that our greater weakness was creativity/formation rather than somebody who could hit the back of the net.
I am not sure that is true to be honest.

Jolley was injured for the whole of last season and Taylor was not ready for the first team until the closing weeks.

The striking options we had for the majority of last season - Mumbongo, Burton, Nevitt - were nowhere near good enough.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Nevitt after a very slow start at Crewe has chipped in with a few goals recently and their fans seem relatively positive. Nowhere near good enough feels a little harsh ABM assessment. It will be interesting to see how his season pans out, but the departure from Rovers was rumoured to be as a result of a breakdown in his relationship with Micky.

Player
Manager
John King
Nevitt is not good enough to perform consistently. He went thirty-odd games without scoring for Crewe. His goalscoring ratio was better under Mellon than at his current club.

The 'breakdown in relations' was allegedly due to his extra-curricular activities......

Burton and Mumbongo were nowhere near Football League standard.

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
For me the jury is still out on Jolley. He works hard and has bulked out a bit over pre season but I’m not sure has what it takes to score on a regular basis. With Taylor there is clearly potential but I suspect he’d prefer to play through the middle.

If we’re serious about top seven this season then we need both Norris and Dennis in the side in my opinion, in a system that plays to their strengths and gives them service. Otherwise despite others chipping in I suspect we’ll float around mid table at best (which many SWA might take now if it was offered).

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Jolley's record is actually pretty decent, albeit a small one having missed last season through injury but he bagged six the season before last when he had a good spell before getting injured I think, he has two this season. He can easily get 10-15 this season playing regularly and staying fit.

Player
Manager
John King
I tend to agree with Sparky that if we are going to be successful this season, Dennis and Norris need to be involved on a regular basis. I think it is fine for Taylor and Jolley to compete with them for a starting place, but Dennis should be more involved than he has been this season to date.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A fully fit Dennis yes, but I think he needs to work on his fitness first as he's well below the energy levels of Jolley and Taylor at the moment.
Part of the problem with Dennis is our system. I don’t think anyone fancies him as a central striker in a 4-3-3. He’s probably not mobile enough for that role. He’s a fox in the box who plays better and score goals in a pair up front. Same with playing wide as he has to do too much running about to be effective.
We’ve signed a penalty box predator who could score 20 goals a season but play a system that doesn’t suit him

Player
Manager
John King
Part of the problem with Dennis is our system. I don’t think anyone fancies him as a central striker in a 4-3-3. He’s probably not mobile enough for that role. He’s a fox in the box who plays better and score goals in a pair up front. Same with playing wide as he has to do too much running about to be effective.
We’ve signed a penalty box predator who could score 20 goals a season but play a system that doesn’t suit him
Yes, exactly. If we were not going to play two up front this season, then why sign him ? He won't have come cheap and it is a waste to have him sitting on the bench in my view.