• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (2) v Accy Stanley (0)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Accrington

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (2) v Accy Stanley (0)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, September 23, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 23, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nigel Adkins first game at PP is this Saturday with the visit of Accrington Stanley. The visitors were relegated from league one last season but have started life in league two fairly well sitting 8th in the table. Four wins, a draw and 3 defeats so far with the experienced and long serving John Coleman hoping to take them back up at the first attempt.

Despite their relegation they kept hold of most of their players and won’t be a pushover for rovers.
As for us, Nigel has some decisions to make. Despite some promising moments last week we still defended poorly second half and arguably Yarney deserves a start at CB given our run of defeats. Whether the likes of mcalear keep their place or hendry comes back in will be interesting. Up front I expect it to be the same trio unless Luke Norris is fit. Personally I think we should have a style that means Dennis can play up front in a two and he will score goals. Again it’ll be interesting whether Adkins keeps Dawes 4-3-3 which isn’t exactly working, or reverts to a 4-4-2, and also whether the likes of Kieran Morris or Merrie return to the squad.

Prediction: a score draw for me.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
A fair old test for us, this one, Their last 2 league games probably give an idea as where they are - a comfortable victory against unfavoured Sutton and an equally comfortable defeat against, rather more favoured, Mansfield. I would expect them to be in a play off place come the end of the season. Coleman's Accy are usually big, strong and well-organised. I think we go into this game as second favourites, and would happily take a score draw to begin our rehabilitation.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Hard one this but i recon a very hard 2-1 win but we need go cut the 96th min goals out

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we will struggle against a physical, well organised side. Rovers will be more organised and effort will be there but I still think confidence is low and over the 90 mins, I think they will wear us down.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
…. Again it’ll be interesting whether Adkins keeps Dawes 4-3-3 which isn’t exactly working, or reverts to a 4-4-2, …..
Ironically, having persisted with 4-3-3 all season, Dawes switched to 4-4-2 in his final match, which did him no good.

I was surprised Adkins reverted to 4-3-3 last weekend. Maybe he thought it would be too difficult to change and all that was needed was better organisation. Perhaps now he knows better and will do it his own way.

Does anyone know what system he played with his most recent clubs?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We have to remember though, the first half was actually decent. We defended well and were excellent on the counter, game plan to frustrate worked until we approached the second half in ultra defensive mode.

I’d hope Adkins isn’t overly-wedded to any particular formation but sets a team up with a suitable plan for any given opponent and can vary it whether in or out of possession, or how the game’s going, so long as, ultimately, round pegs are in round holes. I think we have options to be that versatile, certainly when everyone’s available.

From what I can gather Accy play a very different game to Crawley, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there are one or two changes to our line up and, maybe, to our shape too. Especially if Norris is available again (not heard any news).

Anyway, I’ll blindly predict a 2-1 win. Let the hex continue!

IMG_1517.jpeg

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think we will start in the 433 again with a very similar line up to last Saturday. Taylor and Jolley both scored and played well and will surely retain their places, and the only change I can envisage is perhaps Hendry replacing McAlear in a slightly less cautious midfield line up given we are at home.

In the long term, I would still like Morris and Dennis to return to the side, preferably in a 442, but I don't think that will happen any time soon.

A draw would not make the league table look much better, but might be considered a step in the right direction considering just how dire our form has been.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought Accrington might struggle a bit this season, as while they'd kept hold of most of their stalwarts, much of the remainder of their squad is youngsters with varying ranges of experience. They're doing better than my expectations and will be a difficult opponent.

I wasn't sure about Adkins changes for the Crawley game and going by the limited highlights and the more informed comment here and elsewhere, he may need to do some further adjusting. There were certainly positives; a clearer structure to the team and a couple of well-executed goals. However some of the subs made by Nigel were debatable. particularly taking Taylor off when other forwards were looking more jaded. Hopefully he'll call those better this time around.

Will be missing the next couple of home games including this one, though my record of watching at PP is closer to the norm. Think this is a game Rovers need something from, but not sure that will happen.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Pre match Nigel not worth watching to be honest. Very positive and all that but it would be nice to hear some questions about tactics and players albeit I know he can’t give much away before tomorrow

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
A draw please, but I fear a defeat! Their squad will be too strong for us!

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
It is 4-5-1 now until we break. Norris is a potential game changer. I'd expect same side

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yarney starts but so do Davies and turnbull. Wood dropped so Jordan might be left back.
Same trip up front with hendry in for mclear who isn’t in the squad. merrie and Morris on the bench.

Surprised wood was fit to start last week but not today. Young Norris from Liverpool not involved so it’s a square peg at left back

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Wood was OK I thought. We can't get dropping and moving players around. We need some consistency. Not got a good feeling about this one.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Actually it might be Pike at left back and Yarney right back

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I was thinking a back 3 with Hawkes and Pike as wing-backs. Agree with Sparky and Ian that it seems a bit strange to be tinkering around with the full-backs if that is what’s happening. Will await the reports with interest.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The back four are warming up with turnbull at left back so I’m guessing it’ll be that