• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (2) v Accy Stanley (0)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Accrington

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (2) v Accy Stanley (0)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, September 23, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 23, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’m a bit surprised that Wood was dropped. I thought he was solid last week, while Pike struggles at times. However, let’s see what Nigel has up his sleeve this afternoon. I’m pleased he’s left the attack unchanged as they played well.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
1 up at the break, they had man sent off for bad challenge on Hawkes, their keeper off injured, be happier if we can get a second goal.

Think the use of the subs could be key, Saunders and Apter against tiring defenders could be a handful

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounds like things mostly going Rovers’ way in that half, Hope we can go on and cement the win.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
2-0 and it’s hawkes again showing what he can do with a great shot from outside the box.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Out of the bottom two on goal difference, but if Doncaster score again we slide back. The good news is that FGR, Salford and Colchester are all losing, so we are not losing touch. We have to be patient.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
2 0 from Hawkes, feeling a bit more relaxed but still a long time to go......

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A thoroughly deserved and comfortable win, mom for me Hawkes, now we have something to build on and hopefully we can get a few wins now.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good news, though remember a Micky Adams 3-0 over Accrington as something of a false dawn. Was Turnbull playing left-back as the pre-match training drills suggested?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A deserve win against a bang average Accrington side whose only tactic was to kick us.

Hawkes showed his value with a great cross field pass that Taylor fired against their players arm and Josh tucked away the spot kick. His second goal was a great finish and like last season he showed how important he is for us. A few extra points:

Pike - overall probably his best game for us, certainly defensively.
Yarney - not spectacular but a clean sheet and did well.
Hawkes - got MoM understandably but I thought hendry was excellent too.
Walker - if we can keep him fit he is very good at this level.
Jolley - works hard but I’m not convinced he has what it takes. Need some more competition for that central striking position with Norris injured and Jennings in midfield.

Nice to get a win and hopefully the first of many.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Good news, though remember a Micky Adams 3-0 over Accrington as something of a false dawn. Was Turnbull playing left-back as the pre-match training drills suggested?
Yes he was and he was solid and even had a few runs forward second half

Reactions: Boz
Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Think the plan to play Turnbull at left back worked and with Yarney kept their striker very quiet so it worked!
However but not doom and gloom, we were comfortable in the first half, the penalty have us the lead, the sending off was unexpected, the goalkeeper being injured, didn't help them at all and leading at half time, dominating because of the extra man.
The second half was only fifteen minutes old when Hawkes bagged his brace. It did take a deflection, but it was goal bound. We settled for that in some ways trying to catch them on the break.
I thought Jennings was mom! Just for his role in midfield alongside Hendry, who also had a decent game being more advanced. Walker was the key with his defensive midfield role. For once Taylor had a day off, but that is ok.
There was only once when they had a real good chance but it was fluffed when through.
A much more solid performance against an unusual poor Accy!
The turning point was the penalty! Though the ref missed another in second half. The ref was decent for a change, in giving us that first peno, then the succession of free kicks .
A must needed win and hopefully something to build on!

Reactions: Boz
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was the kind of performance we have been waiting for all season, but which was never going to arrive under Dawes.

It was a 'back to basics' approach in a sense, as we were solid defensively, had a very good shape out of possession and were rarely troubled. However, a lot of our football was excellent and we were by far the more creative of the two sides, albeit without the nonsense of dozens of pointless passes in our own half of the pitch that we saw previously this season.

I thought everybody played well, but Jennings was outstanding in the first half, Hendry in the second, Pike was impressive at right back and Yarney was solid. Walker's passing was excellent, and I also thought he held his position well and gave the back four the protection they have been lacking. However, Hawkes was deservedly man of the match and again showed his value to us, and emphasised what an absurd decision it was of Dawes to drop him.

What a relief to finally have a proper manager in charge. We comfortably beat one of the fancied teams today and I think this group of players is perfectly good enough to compete at this level if it is properly directed.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Excellent, well organised performance from Rovers. I had given the opposition too much credit before the match but they were pretty terrible. Hawkes had a great game, shame he couldn't get a hattrick to finish it off.

Couple more of those performances and we'll be shooting up the league, we just need to get a run going to give the lads some confidence.

I wish we would have pulled clear by a few more in the second half but that's just being picky.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Well i had to listen to it on the radio as was working but it sounded as rovers played well at last can have a chilled beer also i did say we would win glad for the team and Nigel

drwhoman

Excellent, well organised performance from Rovers. I had given the opposition too much credit before the match but they were pretty terrible. Hawkes had a great game, shame he couldn't get a hattrick to finish it off.

Couple more of those performances and we'll be shooting up the league, we just need to get a run going to give the lads some confidence.

I wish we would have pulled clear by a few more in the second half but that's just being picky.
Good win and true Ian! All these things are relative. Spare a thought for Cheltenham. The first EFL team ever not to score in their first nine games!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Well, for once I got the result right. I’m surprised only two of the ten votes were for a home win. I always said that with this squad all we were missing was a competent manager.

Talking of which, I really enjoyed Nigel’s post match interview. We have never before had a manager who is from Birkenhead and has played for Rovers. He always speaks with pride, eloquence and enthusiasm, a combination I’ve never seen before from a Rovers boss. It’s still early days, but we are going in the right direction. I really hope he can be persuaded to stay.

drwhoman

Well, for once I got the result right. I’m surprised only two of the ten votes were for a home win. I always said that with this squad all we were missing was a competent manager.

Talking of which, I really enjoyed Nigel’s post match interview. We have never before had a manager who is from Birkenhead and has played for Rovers. He always speaks with pride, eloquence and enthusiasm, a combination I’ve never seen before from a Rovers boss. It’s still early days, but we are going in the right direction. I really hope he can be persuaded to stay.
So much of what Nigel said was spot on! The squad have to buy into his knowledge and enthusiasm! I loved the nice touch that he was going home to have soup with his mother in law and to watch the rugby!