• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Pompey v Rovers

Pompey v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Fratton Park
Saturday, August 10, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 10, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ADD

Player
Norwood
Quite strange subs. When Jennings came off, thought Ferrier would be moved to a more central role, as it seemed he started out wide, but only lasts a few minutes before he gets hooked too.
Ferrier picked up a knock

ADD

Player
Norwood
Well I think we were much better today all in all but our defending of corners was terrible. We need to get that sorted now!
Overall, it is not really unexpected we lost to Portsmouth but realistically we are still some way off what will be needed to stay up and prosper at this level despite some nice interplay - you don't win many football games in midfield but no creativity when actually going for goal.
Wilson looked very good, Morris was better again today like last week - seems far more effective than last year. Potter was very good today I thought - he will become an important player for us. Manny much better and Ray good also. Rides is being shown up at this level and means that the opposition can always commit their players on that side knowing Rides is never going to counterattack. Banks is not really doing that much in my book - thought Gilmour might have been brought on. Ferrier did ok and Payne looked good when he came on - one lovely turn when he was then cynically fouled for a booking - against weaker sides we should play Payne and Ferrier up front. CBT I think is going to be a bit lightweight - fast sure but runs into blind alleys half the time and faded as the game wore on. Will be interesting to see what MM does Tuesday!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Inevitable result sadly, win next week and things don't look too bad

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
you don't win many football games in midfield but no creativity when actually going for goal.
Yes, my worry now is do we have enough quality in those areas? We are looking for Jennings and Banks for some creativity but they showed very little today. I thought Moris was good today. Kept the ball well and was always looking to move forward, trying to make something happen.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Yes, my worry now is do we have enough quality in those areas? We are looking for Jennings and Banks for some creativity but they showed very little today. I thought Moris was good today. Kept the ball well and was always looking to move forward, trying to make something happen.
It sounded like Jennings was playing more of a forward role today, Ian? If that was the case, then the creativity should primarily be coming from elsewhere. I didn't really expect much from today, keeping the score respectable and giving Pompey something to think about were achieved.

ADD mentions Tuesday and the Cup game with Hull. I'd hope that we go for a win in the hope of a decent draw, picking a strong side, but it might be worth giving Gilmour an outing in midfield.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It sounded like Jennings was playing more of a forward role today, Ian?
Not really. Ferrier was pretty much left to do the running around for scraps for the time he was on. He got very little service.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Well I think we were much better today all in all but our defending of corners was terrible. We need to get that sorted now!
Overall, it is not really unexpected we lost to Portsmouth but realistically we are still some way off what will be needed to stay up and prosper at this level despite some nice interplay - you don't win many football games in midfield but no creativity when actually going for goal.
Wilson looked very good, Morris was better again today like last week - seems far more effective than last year. Potter was very good today I thought - he will become an important player for us. Manny much better and Ray good also. Rides is being shown up at this level and means that the opposition can always commit their players on that side knowing Rides is never going to counterattack. Banks is not really doing that much in my book - thought Gilmour might have been brought on. Ferrier did ok and Payne looked good when he came on - one lovely turn when he was then cynically fouled for a booking - against weaker sides we should play Payne and Ferrier up front. CBT I think is going to be a bit lightweight - fast sure but runs into blind alleys half the time and faded as the game wore on. Will be interesting to see what MM does Tuesday!
I agree with most of ADD's comments above (and disagree with Ian's to be honest, which I think are a bit downbeat - perhaps influenced by the Ifollow commentary ?) except for the line I have highlighted. I thought the real positive to come out of today's game was the quality of our midfield play, which was miles better than last week and actually better than Portsmouth's for the majority of the game. Yes, we do still lack punch in the final third, but if you can go away from home and have us much good possession against one of the top sides as we did today, you will eventually start to create against more average teams and lesser defences.

In the first half, I actually thought we were the better side overall, albeit Portsmouth looked far sharper in the final third when they did attack. Some of the passing moves were great to watch and the addition of Potter in midfield made a massive difference to the quality of our play. We lost our way after half time for fifteen or twenty minutes, but grew back into the game again when Payne came on and gave us a focal point up front. Overall, I would say the scoreline was a fair reflection of the game in terms of punch in the eighteen yard box, but there were still a lot of positives for us to take from the match.

Individually, I thought Perkins was fantastic again, showing unbelievable energy, but Morris was also outstanding and ran him close for man of the match (why some of our supporters can't see what he offers is beyond me). Wilson was impressive at right back, quick and clever going forward, while also looking pretty strong defensively. Potter was class and I can't remember him giving the ball away all game. Banks was sloppy at times, but did more good than bad, and Monthe looked like his old self at the back.

On the negative side, I thought the distribution from the two centre backs was poor and I agree with ADD's comments about Ridehalgh. His positioning was all over the place at times, giving their right winger far too much space. I think the tactics we used were correct given the opposition, with Jennings at the centre of a front three in the first half and Ferrier wide, but we still are not really clicking in the final third, despite getting into good areas on numerous occasions.

All things considered, I think today's game showed we have got what it takes to compete at this level. We now have to beat Bolton's kids next week.

Player
Manager
John King
Not really. Ferrier was pretty much left to do the running around for scraps for the time he was on. He got very little service.
Jennings was the centre forward in the first half; Ferrier and Morris were either side of him in a front three.

I thought there was creativity from the midfield today, but Jennings / Payne were inevitably isolated at times because of the system we were playing. The understanding in the final third is not quite there at the moment because we are having to adjust to new strikers who are very different players to Norwood.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think I was too downbeat. My big main concern is up top we need to start clicking quickly. Hopefully it's just a case of them gelling. There were times when we looked good but these were too sporadic. Their keeper had very little to do.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think I was too downbeat. My big main concern is up top we need to start clicking quickly. Hopefully it's just a case of them gelling. There were times when we looked good but these were too sporadic. Their keeper had very little to do.
We were playing Portsmouth away. You have to factor in the quality of the opposition and the strength of their defence.

If we play like we did today against lesser teams, when we start with two centre forwards, we will create chances.

We actually had quite a few decent chances today (Monthe, Payne) but did not finish.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think the tactics we used were correct given the opposition, with Jennings at the centre of a front three in the first half and Ferrier wide, but we still are not really clicking in the final third, despite getting into good areas on numerous occasions.
Thanks for the report, RLC. I'm interested why you think that forward line-up was the correct approach, as I raised an eyebrow when hearing how we were set up for this game. Don't know if Connor Jennings' work-rate was a factor in having him as the central forwad rather than Ferrier or Payne.

Player
Manager
John King
Thanks for the report, RLC. I'm interested why you think that forward line-up was the correct approach, as I raised an eyebrow when hearing how we were set up for this game. Don't know if Connor Jennings' work-rate was a factor in having him as the central forwad rather than Ferrier or Payne.
Jennings played as a centre forward at Wrexham and Macclesfield and Ferrier played across a front three at Boreham Wood, so both players were familiar with the roles. When Ferrier went up top as a lone striker in the second half, he actually looked less effective to me than when he was out wide (I appreciate he probably also had a knock).

I don't think we have found the right combination up front, but there was some logic behind Mellon's choice. It is difficult to get your centre forward into the game when you are playing a lone front man away from home against a better team. That is where we were so spoilt with Norwood, with his workrate and movement.

drwhoman

Agree with RLC’s comments re Norwood. We might still be the NL but for him and our future would have been dire. I wish him every success at Ipswich, except against us!

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Am appreciative of the comments from those who were able to travel to the game yesterday. Despite the scoreline, it seems that there were some positives to build on. Rome was not built in a single day and we are undergoing a major transition phase.
Two questions:
- Should Connor be played again in an advanced striker role?
- How did Corey Blackett-Taylor play?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Corey seemed really keen when he came on and made some darting runs which mostly resulted in running into the opposition but he looked very direct. He faded a little towards the end but I can see him causing problems for defenders.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I agree with most of ADD's comments above (and disagree with Ian's to be honest, which I think are a bit downbeat - perhaps influenced by the Ifollow commentary ?) except for the line I have highlighted. I thought the real positive to come out of today's game was the quality of our midfield play, which was miles better than last week and actually better than Portsmouth's for the majority of the game. Yes, we do still lack punch in the final third, but if you can go away from home and have us much good possession against one of the top sides as we did today, you will eventually start to create against more average teams and lesser defences.

Hi RLC - my wording there wasn't clear. What I was trying to say was that our midfield play was very very good yesterday but that in itself doesn't win football matches if you have no incisive final balls etc. I agree 100% if we can maintain that level of play that we will start to create chances in due course.