• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Pompey v Rovers

Pompey v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Fratton Park
Saturday, August 10, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 10, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought I would get this one started early.

If we thought Saturday's game was a tricky introduction to League One, we are now presented with one of the toughest assignments of the season, a visit to Fratton Park. Portsmouth are among the title favourites and have one of the strongest squads in the division, with an embarrassment of riches up front in particular: Hawkins, Pitman, and Marquis. In their opening game at Shrewsbury they dominated but failed to break down a five man defence, and we will have to show similar resolve to stay in the game on Saturday.

Pompey are currently playing a five man midfield with Marquis up front on his own, and I think we will be overrun if we play a 442, as happened in the second half against Rochdale. I would bring Darren Potter back into the side to sit in front of the back four in a 4411 or 4231 formation. Something like this:

Davies
Woods Ray Monthe Ridehalgh
Potter
Banks Perkins
Morris
Jennings
Ferrier

We have already sold nearly 50% of our 980 allocation and this match will surely be a complete sell out. As a supporter, it is a great fixture to have as the opening away game and I think a fair number of the SWA will be spending the weekend on the south coast.

It is difficult to see past a home victory, but we will hopefully be more solid than last week and at least put in a display which will build confidence.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I can only see them winning and fairly easily, we need be hard to break down and hope for the best

Player
aldo
yes a home win it will be . but its prob be a smash and grab 1-0 with ferri boy in the 96th min or a hard fought 2-1 . . the boys will be hurting after saturday . so i think a rovers shock on the cards lets stay positive . hope morgan starts

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Really tough game so early on. At least we get it out of the way early. I'd say we are probably going to be hanging on for large parts of the game. Pack the midfield and hope for the best!

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Would be very happy with a dour 0-0 and a point away from home! Think it's possible if Micky can get them better organised in training this week...
And I would agree with RLC's team selection.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Davies
Nelson, Ray, Monthe
Woods, Potter, Perkins, Ridealgh
Banks,
Jennings
Ferrier

Backs to the wall, but chance of a low scoring draw.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think this game will go one of two ways, either a tight battling performance, with a narrow defeat, maybe a draw if it goes really well. Alternatively an absolute pasting.

There are some attractions playing 3 at the back as Higgy suggests. Reservations about Woods as a wing-back, given his fitness record. Might Morris fill that role, if a right-sided full-back isn't coming in? I also like the idea of Potter alongside Perkins, as Banks doesn't contribute greatly in defending the back four and will be better deployed further up the park.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Good point re Woods Boz, albeit he might not get much chance to gallop forward anyway. It could end up being 5 at the back

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There are some attractions playing 3 at the back as Higgy suggests.
I think packing the defence will just lead to trouble. There will be no outlet which would invite constant pressure that will buckle eventually. I think the best bet would be to pack midfield to try and maintain an element of control in the game.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Team pretty much as I expected, Ferrier and Potter cone in, Wilson at right back. Looks like 4411.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yep, got some good quality in midfield which might give us a chance.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Encouraging that Blackett-Taylor is fit enough to make the bench. No surprise with the starting xi, bench has a very attacking slant, even Gilmour primarily an attacking midfielder.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not much in the game to be honest. Tranmere battling well but failed to clear the ball numerous times which was eventually hit over 4/5 defenders into the top corner. Pompey imposing after 20 mins and had a lot of the ball but Tranmere composed again after the goal. Our final ball has been poor though and we are not putting their defenders under much pressure at all. All to play for in the second half but we need a bit more up front. Banks a bit lightweight in the middle, Perkins battling well as ever and Morris is having a decent game trying to make something happen. Wilson looking good too.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Can't get the ball out of our half. Frustrating as we are only one behind. Need to try and push forward a bit more.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Payne coming on to add a bit more spice upfront.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Surprising substitutions. Not expecting Jennings and Ferrier to be taken off when we are chasing the game. Injured or just trying something different?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Tranmere pushing forward now. Come on lads! Just fresh legs I think BBTC. Blackett Taylor has some great runs already and Monthe just headed past the post.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Quite strange subs. When Jennings came off, thought Ferrier would be moved to a more central role, as it seemed he started out wide, but only lasts a few minutes before he gets hooked too.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Game over. 2-0. Scored from a corner.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Tough game, lads battled hard but the quality was lacking in certain areas. I don't want to be too critical because it was a hard game and we set out to make it difficult for them to break us down. Defensively we were OK, few shaky moments and misplaced tackles but fairly solid against dangerous opponents. Midfield again worked hard but we lacked quality getting the ball to the front men. Jennings and Ferrier were starved of any good service today and faded out of the game. Our best spell was when we brought on Blackett-Taylor and Payne and decided to attack them. We had a good 10 minute spell of possession and passing and looked to put a bit of pressure on their defence but we couldn't find a goal and then they killed off the game with a second from a corner.

Learning experience but we need to learn fast.