• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Pompey v Rovers

Pompey v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Fratton Park
Saturday, August 10, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 10, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Overall, it is not really unexpected we lost to Portsmouth but realistically we are still some way off what will be needed to stay up and prosper at this level despite some nice interplay - you don't win many football games in midfield but no creativity when actually going for goal.

Hi RLC - my wording there wasn't clear. What I was trying to say was that our midfield play was very very good yesterday but that in itself doesn't win football matches if you have no incisive final balls etc. I agree 100% if we can maintain that level of play that we will start to create chances in due course.
Yes, I agree. I think a midfield of Perkins / Potter / Banks will create chances at this level and there were times yesterday when balls were fed into the strikers on the edge of the box, but were cut out because of Portsmouth's organisation at the back. Against poorer defences, we will get opportunities.

I think the link-up between midfield and attack is not quite right at the moment, but that will improve with time.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Am appreciative of the comments from those who were able to travel to the game yesterday. Despite the scoreline, it seems that there were some positives to build on. Rome was not built in a single day and we are undergoing a major transition phase.
Two questions:
- Should Connor be played again in an advanced striker role?
- How did Corey Blackett-Taylor play?
I think Jennings' best position is as a number ten behind the strikers. Depending on the opposition, I would expect him to be used there this season.