• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Pizza Cup Fleetwood (2) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• Fleetwood

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pizza Cup Fleetwood (2) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
Highbury Stadium
Tuesday, September 5, 2023 - 07:00 PM
Until: Tuesday, September 5, 2023 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Another defeat and a poor performance overall. Got what we deserved. Barely looked like scoring and defended poorly and it could easily have been more.
Where do we go from here? Colchester obviously but Dawes can have much longer?

Positives were Sam taylor again very good and McGee MOM for me. Feel for Jennings who works his socks off for no end result

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought we played some ok football at times in the second half and Merrie and Taylor were decent. Apter also looked promising. However, Fleetwood created chances almost at will and the scoreline reflects the game. The margin of defeat would have been bigger without McGee.

Tactically, I thought it was Groundhog Day. We had problems defensively down both flanks with poor Norris left completely exposed and then scapegoated by Dawes by being hooked. How many full backs are we going to get through this season ? Jennings was also too isolated for much of the game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well Dawes could go down as the worst Tranmere manager of all time if that is what he's looking for. Same old effing same. This is getting very tedious.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Taylor did really well. Jolley showed he could be a handful when he came on and would be a good foil (in the absence of Norris) for either Dennis or Taylor if ever the manager relented and played two down the middle. Jenno worked his butt off, but might be better placed as a no.10 or in midfield.
McGee is a great find.
I thought Apter and Pike did well. Both up and down that pitch with decent pace and energy.
Mentions for Walker and McAlear.

Hendry and Merrie bullied off the ball at times.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Guy's we are gonna take a real battering soon i feel for the players like sam and Connor and the goalie but its coming you can see it we are a car crash waiting to happen

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The turning point was the penalty and second yellow for Pike. While there was contact, it was caused by the Fleetwood playing running across Pike, penalty, if that's what the referee saw it as and no card would have been fair. There were a couple of Fleetwood players on yellows who pulled players back by the shirt and didn't get another yellow so very inconsistent by the referee in that regard.

Otherwise, for all their chances, before then Fleetwood didn't look like scoring from open play. Rovers were very negative and showed little to give me much hope for the games ahead. Despite my concerns at h/t Morris made a reasonable fist of the left-back role in the second half.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes I’d like to see more of Apter. We’re badly lacking pace in the side and he looks good. We still need to find a way of getting Dennis up front and I agree that Jennings is wasted as a number 9. Needs to be deeper

Stickman

Player
Aldo
An awful start to the season. I don't understand Dawes. Why is he just sticking with more or less the same tactics every match? Surely he must see that he needs to try a different approach?

Player
Goodison
As far as I can tell we seem to be setting up the same every week, with more and more players out of position.

What are Dawes, Adkins, Danns and Parkinson doing all week? Do they do anything between games? Its bizzare. I hope Palios has them clocking in and out each day, the only explanation is they are all dossing off!

Stickman

Player
Aldo
Yes I’d like to see more of Apter. We’re badly lacking pace in the side and he looks good. We still need to find a way of getting Dennis up front and I agree that Jennings is wasted as a number 9. Needs to be deeper
I agree about Dennis. What is making it so difficult to play him up front? I just don't get it.

Stickman

Player
Aldo
As far as I can tell we seem to be setting up the same every week, with more and more players out of position.

What are Dawes, Adkins, Danns and Parkinson doing all week? Do they do anything between games? Its bizzare. I hope Palios has them clocking in and out each day, the only explanation is they are all dossing off!
My thoughts exactly. There is enough footballing intelligence there to come up with better than "let's try plan A again". I'm genuinely confused.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
The question is we looked ok in the first few games but have the players downed tools and just don't want to play for Daws anymore

drwhoman

I have been so focused on the bigger picture disaster that I had completely forgotten about this game! From the comments made I did not miss anything and have avoided depressing myself even further! Please Mark - I know it will cost you dough but please organise another Manager and send the current crew on their way. Make sure you have the replacement parked outside the ground to drive in as soon as the coast is clear! We do not want another caretaker Manager again!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It is crazy that Dawes having lost 6 in 7 is persisting with his 4-3-3. It will be his undoing

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Injuries mounting up.

Davies has done his back in and they are hoping it’ll settle down.
Yarney had a scan on his calf and waiting for results
Lewis felt Something in the back of his leg so came off.
Add to that we’re missing LOC, Leake and Pike for the weekend we’ll be down to the bare bones defensively

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Saunders and presumably Luke Norris still out too.

Is Pike definitely banned? Think red card applies to all competitions but unclear. Never sure how red cards in the Pizza Cup are applied to other competitions. Thought he looked more comfortable on the right side too.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Saunders and presumably Luke Norris still out too.

Is Pike definitely banned? Think red card applies to all competitions but unclear. Never sure how red cards in the Pizza Cup are applied to other competitions. Thought he looked more comfortable on the right side too.
I’m not sure boz and agree he was more at home on the right. The question will be on the left does he give Norris another go or play merrie or even Morris? Surely Norris as we’ve got him for the season so be needs another game. Perhaps with more support in front of him