• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Pizza Cup Fleetwood (2) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• Fleetwood

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pizza Cup Fleetwood (2) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
Highbury Stadium
Tuesday, September 5, 2023 - 07:00 PM
Until: Tuesday, September 5, 2023 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Our next opponent have just sacked their manager after a poor start. There are a few familiar names on their books with the likes of Jayden Stockley and Jack Marriott, along with ex-loanee Danny Mayor. How strong a line-up they'll put out for this game is debatable.

I think Dawes has got to use this game to give players a chance in their correct positions. . So Pike at right-back, Yarney if fit in central defence and Dennis as an out and out striker. Would expect a start for James Norris and a sub appearance for Rob Apter. Who gets rested is open for discussion, but while Luke Norris remains injured, I would limit Sam Taylor to league starts as just about our best attacking threat. Midfield is the hardest to predict as there are plenty to choose from

Possible line up;

Murphy
Pike Yarney Turnbull J Norris
Hughes Merrie Lewis Hawkes
Dennis Jolley

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’ve got no enthusiasm for this game whatsoever at the moment. Fleetwood isn’t a million miles away but it’ll be interesting how many of the SWA make the visit on a warm summers evening.
I agree that I’d make some changes. Give Morris the night off and possibly one of Davies or turnbull and play Yarney CB. I’d give Mcalear a start and probably Jolley too.

They’ll presumably give a game to Tshimanga, who they’ve just signed and who hit a hattrick against us last time (?) we played against him.

Palios regards the prize money available in this competition as important. Just one more reason why I feel Dawes has to use this game to show he’s learning from his mistakes, as well as getting a result.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd love to see the players in their right positions but can't see it happening. I also don't think Dawes has learnt anything from the last half dozen games. He seems to have one plan and not a very good one at that.

Another loss for me.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I can't see anything but a home win!
Should give more game time to those that need it! Rest those who have already played enough!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
No idea what time we will put out but I'm certain it will still be a 4 3 3 formation and almost certainly another defeat

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I’ve got no enthusiasm for this game whatsoever at the moment.
Yes, it feels like we are just in a holding position prior to Dawes' (almost) inevitable dismissal.

Palios will want to be seen to be reasonable by giving him ten to twelve games, and until a decision is made it is difficult to summon much enthusiasm for matches.

However, I would not be completely surprised if we put in a better display and got a result tomorrow night. The players will be relaxed and it is a low pressure, rather meaningless fixture.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What I don't get is that he just wont change things. The matches so far have been poor, that's pretty obvious yet he continues with the same formation and players. At what point does he think, hmm, this aint working? Surely he cannot be that incompetent.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
What I don't get is that he just wont change things. The matches so far have been poor, that's pretty obvious yet he continues with the same formation and players. At what point does he think, hmm, this aint working? Surely he cannot be that incompetent.
It's so frustrating that he plods on with the same mistakes..
Hard too imagine Adkins (Tech Director after all) hasn't broached the subject.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I think the Harrogate and Barnsley results have a bearing on this!
A false dawn methinks!
Because of the status of importance, not being that high for this game. It might serve a purpose to get a change if we got battered! To achieve what the majority of support can clearly see!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes, Jennings in the middle and Apter and Taylor either side of him.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It's so frustrating that he plods on with the same mistakes..
Hard too imagine Adkins (Tech Director after all) hasn't broached the subject.
Dawes is inexperienced as is Parky and Danns at this level. So perhaps Nigel needs to be taking more of a hands on approach as he’s the only one with proper experience of management in the EFL

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m surprised none of Hughes. Mcalear or Jolley are getting a start given we’re a development club. Why not give Jennings or Hendry a rest?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
What a strange line up. The only positive having full-backs in their right positions, but Dawes appears to be stuck in a 433 time-warp. Should be giving Dennis,Jolley game time resting the key core Hendry Jennings Taylor for the more important league games. Whatever the result feels like a wasted opportunity