• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Northampton v Rovers

Match result

• Northampton

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Rovers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Northampton v Rovers
Posted by Ian
PTS Academy Stadium
Saturday, March 5, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 5, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Decent set of results overall albeit Bristol rovers continue their good form.

None of it really matters of course unless we can turn our form around. Walsall’s point at Sixfields May give us some hope for Saturday of avoiding defeat
Northampton are not in convincing form.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Northampton are not in convincing form.
The top three have certainly been a bit shaky of late. All just 1 win in 5. Exeter are in decent form and have quite a few games in hand.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
just get that pissed that you won't see the 10 -0 loss knowing rovers we will win 1-0,

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
I would love to do an away game my last one was Bradford away , Muir got the winner in the 90th min, we had guys putting screwdrivers through the fence trying to get us it put me off for life

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Glatzel and Spearing both back in training. Whether or not they can both start on Saturday remains to be seen but a welcome boost. I bet Micky is sorely tempted to throw them in given our form and for such a big game, but it would be a risk

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just glad they are back training. They’ve been missed.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Glatzel and Spearing both back in training. Whether or not they can both start on Saturday remains to be seen but a welcome boost. I bet Micky is sorely tempted to throw them in given our form and for such a big game, but it would be a risk
Glatzel doesn't start training till tomorrow so won't be involved Saturday, not sure if Jay will be involved or not

Player
Manager
John King
It sounds like Spearing is behind Glatzel in his recovery, so he won't play any part at the weekend.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think we should go 4-2-3-1 for this one. Something needs to change and a trio of Morris, McPake and Hawkes behind Hemmings could easily bring goals and cause their defence some problem

Player
Manager
John King
I think we should go 4-2-3-1 for this one. Something needs to change and a trio of Morris, McPake and Hawkes behind Hemmings could easily bring goals and cause their defence some problem
Yes, when we had a dip in form in the autumn, which included a home defeat to Northampton, Mellon waited three or four games before switching from the 4231 to 442. I would not be surprised if he does the reverse now in order to freshen things up, although with Glatzel close to a return he might be tempted to stick with two strikers.

Northampton's record is very similar to ours, relatively low scoring but with a superb defence, which suggests a tight affair. Sam Hoskins is a key player for them in the attacking areas, but the centre halves seem to have been crucial for them. Paul Lewis has performed well this season and is always a threat breaking into the box.

Hopefully Mansfield and Exeter will draw on Friday night and set us up for this game.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I had a twinge of optimism when hearing a clip of Micky saying Glatzel was back in training, thinking he might be an option for the weekend, but the o/s suggests otherwise.

Northampton were comprehensive winners at PP earlier in the season, in a game where we didn't have a single effort on target. We played worse that day than in the Forest Green drubbing, so it was hard to evaluate how good they were. While the Cobblers have gone off the boil recently they've still garnered enough points to move above us. At least Spurs loanee Etete who got their first goal has moved on, but as pointed out Hoskins is a decent player at this level.

Micky has to change things for this game, even if Glatzel might be available for next Friday. I favour the 4231 suggested, though with some questions about the 3. Would there be enough resistance with a 3 of McPake Hawkes and Morris playing behind Hemmings? Maybe Warrington, who is not really a defensive midfielder as the middle of that trio, as he'd be wasted as one of the pair of deep sitting mids protecting the back four. Although he seems to have struggled in the away games and might benefit being taken out of the firing line altogether for a game?

Player
Manager
John King
I thought Warrington was one of our better players in the recent away defeats. It was actually O'Connor that struggled at Walsall and Newport, offering very little protection to the defence.

ADD

Player
Norwood
It sounds like Spearing is behind Glatzel in his recovery, so he won't play any part at the weekend.
Correct - MM said Glatzel would be rejoining the Group which is full training- Spearing is only just out of his brace and just started running on grass and doing some ball work so he will be a couple of weeks behind Glatzel I suspect.
Glatzel will hopefully be available for the game after this - doubt he will be risked even on the bench tomorrow? Him coming back and staying fit for the remainder is critical IMO.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I thought Warrington was one of our better players in the recent away defeats. It was actually O'Connor that struggled at Walsall and Newport, offering very little protection to the defence.
Agreed. Warrington needs not to be fire fighting all the time - he also needs Glatzel and Hemmings in tandem up front and he will find them in space. He is a far better footballer than L2 level and unlike Glatzel (who took time to get up to speed physicality wise) he showed he has the physique to cope from day 1.

The one I am struggling with is what is happening with McPake - seems to have dropped out of contention entirely after a solid start. Has he fallen out with MM for some reason like Walker evidently did? Strange one, as I thought he was doing well and he is highly rated at Rangers and was highly praised by MM when he brought him in.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
The one I am struggling with is what is happening with McPake - seems to have dropped out of contention entirely after a solid start. Has he fallen out with MM for some reason like Walker evidently did? Strange one, as I thought he was doing well and he is highly rated at Rangers and was highly praised by MM when he brought him in.
I agree with this. I have been limited to watching Saturday home games but since a slow start he has looked our best player to me.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
I for one hope that we dont revert to those even more negative tactics that Micky deployed prior to going with a 4-4-2. We have very good attacking creative players that are already being stifled or not even used. Our best players have to play in their natural roles, which includes Warrington, McPake, Hawkes and Morris.

We know that Micky is a defensive minded pragmatic manager, but I really do think that now is the time to unshackle these players. We are not going to make the play offs based upon current form and style of play, so why not have a bloody go and if we fall short, at least it will be more enjoyable to watch than this crap