• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Newport v Rovers

Match result

• Newport

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Newport v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Rodney Parade
Saturday, April 13, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 13, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Interesting that Nigel said post match yesterday we were outnumbered by bigger players. He’s said this a few times this season so wonder if we’ll target taller players in the summer

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Bigger does not = better.

Some of our best players across the park this season have not been the tallest. Connor Jennings is arguably one of the best headers at the club, while Luke Norris, although not header averse unlike some of our former strikers, could make better use of his height.

It would be interesting to know how our average height compares to others in L2. There have been some teams that have had a fair proportion of the archetypal brick outhouse players in their side, though we haven’t lost all of those. Is it a psychological thing when we come up against the giants, results would suggest otherwise.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I just wish saunders would get some goals. It makes you wonder why the club don't get one of our old forwards in to give him some advice and coaching something that he quit clearly needs if he could unlock that he would be an amazing player. But it prob won't happen
Our first team coach should already fit the bill. Andy Parkinson is a similar build, was also fast and played in a similar position. Is Andy not a very good coach or is Harvey just not listening?

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree Boz size doesn’t always matter :) but I do think in the rough of tumble of league two you do need a sufficient amount of physical presence to be able to compete. It’s just something I’ve picked up on that Nigel has commented on a number of times

I think we need to be able combat height and strength better, or rather more consistently, than we have been. Whether that necessarily means matching like with like is another matter, so it’ll be interesting to see how Adkins does go about addressing it.

Incidentally, I wasn’t really listening but I thought I heard the commentator on ITV’s goals highlights say something about Apter attracting Championship clubs.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Now we might be flogging a bit of a dead horse with L. Norris due to his injuries but a fit Norris is very good at holding the ball up and has a physical presence up top. We have decent height in the spine of the team. Davies, Turnbull, Walker, Norris.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Our first team coach should already fit the bill. Andy Parkinson is a similar build, was also fast and played in a similar position. Is Andy not a very good coach or is Harvey just not listening?
Or simply doesn't have the talent more like.

Reactions: Ian

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Could be a little of all 3 poor coaching not enough talent and doesn't listen or just not hungry enough to improve either way we have got a player who isn't a striker more a target man who even if he was on corporation road he would not score

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Bigger does not = better.

Some of our best players across the park this season have not been the tallest. Connor Jennings is arguably one of the best headers at the club, while Luke Norris, although not header averse unlike some of our former strikers, could make better use of his height.

It would be interesting to know how our average height compares to others in L2. There have been some teams that have had a fair proportion of the archetypal brick outhouse players in their side, though we haven’t lost all of those. Is it a psychological thing when we come up against the giants, results would suggest otherwise.
Luke isn't even 6ft which is nothing nowadays, I'd say he was decent at defending corners which is where Nigel is concerned. LOC is poor for a competent defender and when Walker misses out we are short. We've been down to the CD's splitting the box between them which is risky, mind you we used to back Clarke to get to all corners!!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Luke isn't even 6ft which is nothing nowadays, I'd say he was decent at defending corners which is where Nigel is concerned. LOC is poor for a competent defender and when Walker misses out we are short. We've been down to the CD's splitting the box between them which is risky, mind you we used to back Clarke to get to all corners!!
Half an inch under. I agree that he’s decent defensively in the air, but still think he could offer more aerially in attack. It was surprising to read that he’s just shorter than Connor Jennings, who’s a decent header of the ball.
Walker again good in the air defensively but don’t recall any major contributions further forward.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Half an inch under. I agree that he’s decent defensively in the air, but still think he could offer more aerially in attack. It was surprising to read that he’s just shorter than Connor Jennings, who’s a decent header of the ball.
Walker again good in the air defensively but don’t recall any major contributions further forward.
Not sure Walker has got into he opponents box all season, not his role though.

Player
Aldo
Could be a little of all 3 poor coaching not enough talent and doesn't listen or just not hungry enough to improve either way we have got a player who isn't a striker more a target man who even if he was on corporation road he would not score
Harvey definitely seems hungry. I have to question what goes on behind the scenes, our rookie strikers (Mullin, Nevitt) seem to do better when they leave and when we sign proven goal scorers they don't produce (Hemmings, Dennis , Norris) for us. It would be interesting to see Harveys Shots/Goals ratio .

Going off topic slightly @Am on mobile where is a good place on the Wirral to get your kitchen knives sharpened ( I have a couple of Wustoff's that have lost thier edge)

Last edited by a moderator:

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Harvey definitely seems hungry. I have to question what goes on behind the scenes, our rookie strikers (Mullin, Nevitt) seem to do better when they leave and when we sign proven goal scorers they don't produce (Hemmings, Dennis , Norris) for us. It would be interesting to see Harveys Shots/Goals ratio .

Going off topic slightly AM where is a good place on the Wirral to get your kitchen knives sharpened ( I have a couple of Wustoff's that have lost thier edge)
Unless he never shoots it won't be good. From memory his last goal was one on one and he tucked it inside the far post one on one. He had tow further near identical chances that match, inspired by new confidence, he slashed them high and wide of the near post with zero control!
Not the sharpest knife even in our box

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

Going off topic slightly AM where is a good place on the Wirral to get your kitchen knives sharpened ( I have a couple of Wustoff's that have lost thier edge)
Mullin was nor a rookie striker when we signed him, he had played over 150 games

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Ther was a place in the market in birkenhead but its gone if you look on line you can find then there but at £3 a knife its not cheap better getting a knife sharpner online and do it yourself

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
I just think the coaching set up needs rethinking i love parky but a little Shaun garnet he does not want the responsibility when the manager gets sacked. So my question is like i say at where i work some people are so complacent and have been at the place way to long and it needs freshening up. We have this wonderful training facility but our forwards can't score. And another 2 years of wondering if he will score another

Player
Aldo
Ther was a place in the market in birkenhead but its gone if you look on line you can find then there but at £3 a knife its not cheap better getting a knife sharpner online and do it yourself
tnx they were quite pricey so I don't want to f them up, I sharpen by cheaper ones, with mixed results :)