• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Newport v Rovers

Match result

• Newport

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Newport v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Rodney Parade
Saturday, April 13, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 13, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
An end of season trip to an injury hit and out of form Newport side is up next and can only mean one outcome! :) Only a month or two ago some decent results saw the hosts sit just two points off the play offs. Since then their form has “fallen off a cliff” according to their manager and they have lost 5 in a row. Tuesdays home defeat to Accy saw a lot of criticism for the players and manager and surely despite our own winless run we have a chance to pick up a win.
One positive for Newport has been their signing of ex Bala Town player Will Evans who has 20 league goals this season. Wonder if we ever looked at him.

As for rovers hopefully the likes of Morris and Wood can return. Turnbull may still be missing so hopefully Yarney can come back in. McAlear may get another start if Walker still absent as Nigel clearly favours him over Merrie or Lewis. I’d like Dennis to be given a start but suspect Nigel is trying to move him on.

Prediction : who knows but credit to any of the SWA that make the trip.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
I am free on Saturday i will cook up a hard defense i will bake a tough wall that wont crumble under pressure we will scramble there heads and make their legs turn to jelly and custard we eill stuff balls up to apter and promise Saunders a steak dinner if he scored a goal and also we would offer a toma Hawkes steak to him to help the defence out a little also to any player to score 2 or christ a hat-trick i will go to there house and wine and dine them for free at the end of the day i would cook up a great performance wonder what Nigel Adkins would say to that

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Knowing Nigel togetherness is what we want i lovethe jelly legs and and tough defence we parked the takeaway van and cooked up a potion. I love saunders he runs he is infectious and he works so hard. Hawks with that steak dangled to him i have never seen bim work so hard he was out on his onion rings at the end this new guy we had in defense was like the naked chef controlled everthing and no one got near him. Yes the naked chef

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Walker Morris Davies Turnbull Morris and Wood all out the game
Yarney also missing, so unless Nigel throws a curve-ball into the mix, it will be a central defensive pairing of Belehouan and Hockenhull. I've seen very little of Ben, was expecting much worse given his lack of opportunities, but he isn't a defensive leader and neither is Jean. Think Merrie had a couple of sub appearances in a back 3 under Micky, but don't know if anyone else in the senior squad who's fit, that has played there before. Is Jack Bentley or another academy defender able to be on the bench?

See Jake Leake was on club duty at a school recently, doesn't get mentioned in Nigel's pre-match as being ready to play. We've kept him on loan for half a season while unfit, which seems a waste of money, even if we are going to offer him a deal.

Otherwise as we've enforced experimentation at the back, no harm in giving Sam Taylor a try out up front. We'll need to score a few to keep the result respectable.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While not as depleted by injuries as Rovers, Newport have their first choice left-back Adam Lewis banned and the covering player an injury doubt. If he can’t play some talk goal scorer Will Evans could be moved there.

Wonder if Luke Norris fancies a shot at central defence..?

drwhoman

While not as depleted by injuries as Rovers, Newport have their first choice left-back Adam Lewis banned and the covering player an injury doubt. If he can’t play some talk goal scorer Will Evans could be moved there.

Wonder if Luke Norris fancies a shot at central defence..?
Good thought Boz! You probably remember that in the old days it was not uncommon. The classic was JohnCharles, the Welsh international, while John Manning was a converted centre half!

Reactions: Boz

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Good thought Boz! You probably remember that in the old days it was not uncommon. The classic was JohnCharles, the Welsh international, while John Manning was a converted centre half!
Jim Steel played once as a tactical switch to centre half, anyone remember who his target was?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Ronnie Moore played centre-half and centre-z forward for us back in the day.

But if we are desperate, I’d like to try Connor Jennings in the back four. He has the height, can head a ball and tackle. He’s played everywhere else apart from goalkeeper.

• Haha
Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I don’t think we’re that desperate to start playing attacking players at the back! People used to talk about playing Goodison up front but it never worked. Same with when Peter Clarke played up top late in a game and did very little.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Take your point about lack of recent success using players out of position, Sparky. However, recalling a player from loan at a NLN side, who’s never played a competitive game for Rovers unless you count the Pizza Cup suggests things are really desperate.