• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

New sponsor deal

B

Banana Army

Charlton AFC? I suppose there not Charlton Athletic are they :roll: You see its all a matter of Interpretation.

Oh and NBDH i like your snide comment mate, and you are totally correct with it excluding the fact that you answered the question wrong. e.g Arsenal is Not a place. He was asking for clubs named after cities or places.

B

Banana Army

bolton_hater said:
AFC means, Atheltics and Football Club.

just a bit of useless info for you :)
Just Athletic Fottball Club actually but..... :wink:

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
I've always heard that it had an AND in it.

Ah well, i'm gonan lose sleep over it! :wink:

Player
Morrisey
Nope, you're wrong

:wink:

I have always known them as Sunderland Athletic!

If you are right concerning Bournemouth (as I am sure you are) then they must be crossed off NBDH's list.

J

Johnny King is God

Charlton Athletic are called Charlton Athletic.

They are not ever referred to as Charlton AFC are they?

Sunderland are called Sunderland - They are referred to as Sunderland AFC - they choose to be AFC instead of FC due to their histroy.

You NEVER see them referred to as Sunderland Athletic do you...search the web...find me an example. Look at the league table - They are called Sunderland.

Read this:

Founded as the Sunderland and District Teachers' AFC in 1879, before accepting members from other professions in 1880 and forming Sunderland AFC.

By following your argument you could say that Liverpool dont count because they're called Liverpool Football.

Now please can everyone accept I'm right and let that be the end of it

:lol: :wink:

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Doesn't mean its associated? I dont know what it means fully but I reember one the Sunderland fans saying that Sunderland associated football club will not be taken as wimps and all that bollocks because they are shit

J

Johnny King is God

With the best will in the world - I dont have a fucking clue what you are talking about.

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Sorry I was talking shit. I was just asking if the A in AFC Sunderland means associated cause I remember a Sunderland talking some shit on the tele the other day

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
JKIG, I know you're right mate. I knew the exact same thing. 8)

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Super_white_army said:
The answer was Athletic! I am sure Gray knew the are a Football Club!

any way I guess we just got our wires crossed! :oops:

Are Sunderland playing football at the moment :?: It's debatable, as is the athletic bit :!: Maybe they should just be Sunderland Club :lol:

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
What have I started now #-o

It's an interesting one though isn't it. I would say Charlton are Charlton Athletic, but if Sunderland are Sunderland AFC, why aren't they referred to as Sunderland Athletic? :? I've never heard them called Sunderland Athletic.

Time to stop I think :!:

Oh, but well done NBDH, an excellent list. I knew there must be loads, I just couldn't think of any. Let somebody else do the hard work, that's what I say :wink:

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
AFC be it before or after the club's name stands for

Association Football Club

This is to distinguish from RFC which of course stands for

Rugby Football Club

So many clubs are AFC for clarification purposes, that they play football (aka Soccer or Association Football) and not rugby or anything else.

B

Banana Army

NeverBeatDaveHiggins said:
AFC be it before or after the club's name stands for

Association Football Club

This is to distinguish from RFC which of course stands for

Rugby Football Club

So many clubs are AFC for clarification purposes, that they play football (aka Soccer or Association Football) and not rugby or anything else.

Not completely True.
AFC Ajax = Amsterdam Football Club Ajax

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
oooo you got him there *high 5* :lol:

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Banana Army said:
Not completely True.AFC Ajax = Amsterdam Football Club Ajax

Lol :lol: . NBDH will not like that B_A he will prove you wrong some how.

Player
Morrisey
You never know when that Question will come up in a pub quiz do yuou NBDH

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Woah!! Had to stop myself there from going into another long one, this time about the legal ages of being in a pub, being able to drink, being able to work in a pub, and well you get the idea.

Back on topic, it's important to be able to bring the winner's bottle of cheap champagne to your table on pub quiz night. :wink:

Player
Morrisey
Indeed!! I love going to pub quizzes and joining team for a one off, winning and then watch all the regulars get pissed off because you have only come to beat them!! :wink: Unfortunately in Hereford it tends to be a winning bottloe of cider! :lol: :lol: