• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Monkey Hangars v Rovers

Match result

• Hartlepool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Monkey Hangars v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Victoria Park
Tuesday, February 15, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, February 15, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The more I think about the shape of the side in Glatzel's absence, I reckon the 4231 formation is the best approach. That system gets our most creative players on the pitch (Hawkes, McPake and Morris), and allows Morris to play centrally where he can dictate games more easily than from a wide position. I think Hemmings is clever and talented enough to operate as a lone striker if he is fed by those three.

I don't think Jolley or Nevitt are good or consistent enough to justify their places in a 442 at the moment, given that we sacrifice a lot in midfield with that system.

It will be interesting to see what Micky does tomorrow night.
Sort of agree with you, but would you leave Warrington out altogether or use him as one of the back pair of midfielders? I am unsure how well he's suited for the deeper sitting role.

I was surprised that Burton was on the bench last weekend ahead of Merrie, who doesn't seem to have much hope of making the squad if he's fit at present.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Sort of agree with you, but would you leave Warrington out altogether or use him as one of the back pair of midfielders? I am unsure how well he's suited for the deeper sitting role.

I was surprised that Burton was on the bench last weekend ahead of Merrie, who doesn't seem to have much hope of making the squad if he's fit at present.
Warrington's passing from deep is good, so I don't see any reason why he could not play a deeper role. However, if we wanted more physical presence we could play Foley with O'Connor.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Good point RLC. I’m not a massive fan of one up front but as you suggest I’m not convinced Nevitt or Jolley have enough to and maybe given we’re away from home at in-form Hartlepool, packing the midfield at times might help.
As you say hawkes, mcpake and Morris could be a dangerous attacking midfield trio.
Re Warrington I know he isn’t a proper CDM but if it’s him or foley, suspect Lewis will start. Like Boz I’m surprised merrie isn’t involved and you can only assume he’s not impressing in training

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we have to be careful we do not overload the midfield with attacking flair type players as we will find it hard if we have to dig deep a little and defend. They are a good attacking trio but not exactly great defensively..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The more I think about the shape of the side in Glatzel's absence, I reckon the 4231 formation is the best approach. That system gets our most creative players on the pitch (Hawkes, McPake and Morris), and allows Morris to play centrally where he can dictate games more easily than from a wide position. I think Hemmings is clever and talented enough to operate as a lone striker if he is fed by those three.

I don't think Jolley or Nevitt are good or consistent enough to justify their places in a 442 at the moment, given that we sacrifice a lot in midfield with that system.

It will be interesting to see what Micky does tomorrow night.
Agreed. And there is also space for the creative Warrington, although there is a case to play Foley as the fifth midfielder as he can both support O'Connor in protecting the defence or help to mount attacks.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think we have to be careful we do not overload the midfield with attacking flair type players as we will find it hard if we have to dig deep a little and defend. They are a good attacking trio but not exactly great defensively..
Ian, share your reservations about McPake and Hawkes defensively, but Morris can put a shift in, think there was a game a few weeks back where he made the most successful challenges in L2. Also if you've two midfielders protecting the back four it allows us to concede a bit of ground without being fatal. The need to get a decent supply of balls through to Hemmings is arguably more critical.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Foley for O'Connor who not on bench, no Nevitt, Mani on bench yikes

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Nobody could have expected this, wonder if illness or injury to account for the absentees. Need to dig deep and show our strength of character.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
OConnor must be injured or ill. Hopefully the latter as with spearing out for weeks the last thing we needs if our first choice pairing missing for our tough schedule ahead . Going to be a big test tonight for Warrington and Foley

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Looks like we have a few injuries. Still, we should have enough to trouble them so let's see..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Well, all that work we spent selecting the team and the 4-5-1 formation was a waste of time. ;) We are a bit thin on the ground with our injuries and illnesses when our number 6 striker makes the bench. I just hope no-one else gets hurt or sent off. :(

Even with a draw, we are letting the four teams just below overtake us with their games in hand, so I hope we are up for it.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Even Mani and Burton get a place on the bench showing our lack of options.
A good atmosphere in home end, we may need to weather an early storm here. Concede first and we could be in trouble

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Well, all that work we spent selecting the team and the 4-5-1 formation was a waste of time. ;) We are a bit thin on the ground with our injuries and illnesses when our number 6 striker makes the bench. I just hope no-one else gets hurt or sent off. :(

Even with a draw, we are letting the four teams just below overtake us with their games in hand, so I hope we are up for it.
Exeter and Sutton both currently losing

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The hosts look full of confidence and Bogle is a real handful. Doing ok so far though.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The hosts miss a great chance when clear firing straight at Doohan. A let off.

Rovers creating very little

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Not got pur wide players into the game much as yet, decent chance for them, get the feeling first goal will be crucial

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Going long too often, need to get Warrington on the ball more, this is pretty poor so far.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Clarke og right on half time, sadly deserved as we have not been in the game