• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Exeter v Rovers

Exeter v Rovers
Posted by Ian
St James Park
Saturday, December 11, 2021 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, December 11, 2021 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A very tough game at St James Park next for Rovers. The hosts have had a slight dip in form in the last couple of weeks, coinciding with some injuries to key players, but their home form has been superb this season. One of their two prolific strikers, Sam Nombe, will miss this game through injury, as will a couple of other decent players including Dieng in defence, but top scorer Matt Jay will start. It is likely both Jake Caprice and George Ray will line up against their former club.

Despite the hysteria surrounding the Orient defeat, we go into this game in decent form in the league, with two wins and a draw in the last three games. I expect we will start in a 442 diamond, with a line up similar to the one that finished the game on Tuesday night: Hawkes (if fit), Morris, O'Connor and Foley / Spearing in midfield, with Jolley and Nevitt up front.

The next two league games against The Grecians and Orient are very difficult, but we then have a kinder series of fixtures over the Christmas period. I hope I get there and back with no mishaps, given the weather and potential travel disruption, and I would be delighted with a point.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A point would be a decent result but it’s a big ask. Up until their midweek home defeat to Northampton, the Grecians hadn’t lost in their last 20 home games. Hopefully the injuries RLC mentions have weakened them and we can take full advantage. What are the odds of George Ray heading in a set piece?!?!

Despite our midweek win I still think we have big issues scoring goals but maybe we can build on our mini up turn in league form

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A long journey and a tough game but one we can get something our of hopefully, I'm going for a draw 1 1.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Exeter had a wobble in their midweek home loss to Northampton, but have been in decent form recently and sit just outside the automatic places. We got thumped 5-0 there last season and historically it's not been one of our happier hunting grounds.

If we're being realistic, on another day we could easily have lost the Oldham game and so Micky needs to look at how we can be set up to reduce the number of scoring opportunities the opposition get. I doubt the Grecians would be as wasteful. The commentary team thought that Spearing was carrying a knock, he's been a bit below par in the last couple of games, While I doubt it will happen, would personally ditch the diamond and play two defensive central midfielders. It wasn't clear if Hawkes went off purely for the cut or whether he was also concussed, if the latter then he won't be available. No Hawkes is bad news, the bit of pace he brings is something lacking elsewhere in those of the squad who'll be considered. Morris should also start.

Prediction: home win

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Almost exactly 12 months to the day when we lost 5-0 there last season. Let’s hope we avoid a similar humiliation! If we bring anything back it’s got to be seen as a positive. Personally think it’ll be a narrow defeat, but we must have some confidence after the last two victories and the decent second-half comeback at Bristol Rovers. It’s hard to know what sort of performance to expect such is our inconsistency.

Player
Manager
John King
Exeter did not win either of their two league games prior to Northampton, one of which was a 3-1 defeat to struggling Colchester. They were also knocked out of the cup at Cambridge last weekend.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Some rumours Sunderland might be recalling Hawkes. Not sure if they have injuries or want a bigger squad for the Xmas period but hopefully just rubbish

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Some rumours Sunderland might be recalling Hawkes. Not sure if they have injuries or want a bigger squad for the Xmas period but hopefully just rubbish
The rumours were about him being recalled and Jack Diamond at Harrogate, would be odd move as both playing regularly

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The rumours were about him being recalled and Jack Diamond at Harrogate, would be odd move as both playing regularly
Yes they are odd but I guess if they have any injuries and a busy winter schedule they may want some back up options.
Just going back to Tuesday, Feeney actually looked bright at times and still has a bit of pace but his end product was pretty bad

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It would be disappointing if Hawkes was recalled because of our lack of other options. Diamond has been more prolific so maybe they’ll opt to pull him back first.

Feeney was quite frustrating at Oldham. Set pieces were still dire and he made the wrong decision a few times after getting into a promising position.

Player
Manager
John King
As Sparky says, Feeney played a part in the improved second half performance on Tuesday. He helped us retain the ball for longer periods and get up the pitch. His final ball was still missing, but his performance was not all bad.

Lee Johnson said in an interview with a local paper that he is considering recalling Hawkes, so it is true unfortunately.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not getting good vibes about this one. I still don’t think we’re playing that well and I think this will be a real tough game. I’d be happy with a point but can’t see it.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
My head says a good result would be to score a late consolation in a 3-1 defeat. My heart says we will carry on from where we left off on Tuesday with Nevitt finally breaking his goal drought, but Exeter are a far better and less generous side than Oldham. I am hoping it will be not too one-sided so some of the confidence our last match gave us will still remain.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Morris back in starting line up and Merrie even on the bench! Otherwsie as Oldham game.
Going to be very difficult - if we play like the Oldham game we will lose. However, Morris starting will definitely help. Would take a draw ultimately.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Morris for mcmanaman the only change I think. I would have considered giving OConnor a game ahead of spearing but given jays experience at such a tough game it makes sense

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Merrie must only be in the squad because it’s December! Seriously I think McDonald has looked a bit dodgy at times recently so merrie can give him some competition at left back

Outoftowner

Player
Chris Merrie
Manager
Micky Mellon
Merrie must only be in the squad because it’s December! Seriously I think McDonald has looked a bit dodgy at times recently so merrie can give him some competition at left back
He’s a midfielder- give the lad a chance !

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Going to repeat myself but let's not concede early and we might give them a game. :speechless: