• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Exeter v Rovers

Exeter v Rovers
Posted by Ian
St James Park
Saturday, December 11, 2021 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, December 11, 2021 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Under the cosh last 10 minutes but good defending and goalkeeping.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Yep, don’t think anyone seriously thought we’d do that! A game in hand on most teams above us makes the table look healthy reading. Is Jolley the key? We just seem much more dynamic up front with him.
Massively looking forward to the clash with Orient on Saturday now.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Amazing result. I’ve been out today so not following it that closely. Saw that Nevitt had scored and whenever I checked again we were still ahead. What did Macmanaman do to get himself sent off?

A few strange results elsewhere today, this league is very unpredictable.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
What can i say, excellent result, well done lads.

Once again, we do well agaist the better teams and slip up v the relegation threatened teams.

Consistently inconsistent.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Amazing result. I’ve been out today so not following it that closely. Saw that Nevitt had scored and whenever I checked again we were still ahead. What did Macmanaman do to get himself sent off?

A few strange results elsewhere today, this league is very unpredictable.
The red card was for a high tackle which depending on an appeal or not is a 3 game ban

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
An excellent away performance from rovers.

we started very brightly and fully deserved the lead when Cogley beat his man and crossed for Nevitt to control and finish well. The rest of the half we were fairly comfortable. Second half we again started brightly and hawkes missed a one on one which was saved that could have been crucial. We then had to weather a bit of a storm with cross after cross coming in but credit to the defence as Doohan had little to do.
I thought they get one good chance at least and it came when a caprice through ball was hit well by Jay from inside the box but Doohan pulled off a great save.
We saw the game out despite the late red card. It was almost a spearing type tackle but mcmanaman didn’t complain at all when the red card came out: fortunately it was too late to matter.
Jolley had another good game and pleased Nevitt got his goal. Spearing more back to his normal self and hawkes looked very dangerous hitting the post first half (what a loss it would be if he did return to Sunderland).
MOM for me was Clarke who once again stood imperiously to every ball that went into the box and organised the back line. McDonald had a good second half to be fair. Credit to Micky for sticking with two up front in a game where many teams would have played defensively. Two 1-0 wins in succession with both of our strikers scoring - I’d have taken that after the orient cup defeat.

Up to 8th and three points off third.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
What a great result, a well taken goal from Nevitt, a some rugged defending, particularly when under great pressure in 2nd half, including some good saves by Doohan. But for me our player of the match was Charlie Jolley, who despite missing a sitter late on, provided much needed pace, energy and commitment to ensure Exeter were not able to over commit going forward for fear of him catching them on the break, until very late on when they had nothing to lose. The lad never stopped running throughout, not only going forward but helping the defence out when they needed all hands to the pumps. By the time he was, rightly, subbed in the 82nd minute he could hardly walk off the field such had been his commitment to the cause.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Probably the best day of the season so far. It was certainly as good a result as we have had so far, but almost as helpful were the results of the teams above. Only two won and they beat other contenders. Not forgetting an overdue goal for Nevitt, the afternoon could hardly have gone better.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That was a real gritty, battling Rovers performance. From the 1st minute they were up for it and the intensity never dropped even when we were under the cosh in the last 10 minutes. They all did their jobs very well from defence, midfield and the energetic front two, we never let them settle and they couldn't find any rhythm against us. Doohan was solid in goal, Spearing excellent again in midfield and delighted Nevitt got on the scoresheet. If they played with that intensity every week, we would not have a problem in this division.

I agree with frenchrover regarding the MOTM. Jolley was a constant pain all game and frustrated Ray for most of it. He battled, he was physical, he ran his legs off and gave everything for those three points, just what we want to see from our players. He has been a breath of fresh air since coming back into the side and is certainly justifying his name in the first XI.

I'm not so sure about McManamans red card. I didn't think the tackle was that bad and of course was exacerbated by the player rolling around multiple times on the floor.

I love these kind of Tranmere performances, it makes you proud to be a supporter. More of the same please!

Last edited:
Player
aldo
I do think the team is better when Macca is not in it from the start has been poor more times than good, it is a good job he is on a 1-year deal

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I just saw the red card again and he did look like he’d gone quite high so it’s not a surprise. Can’t see any appeal being made plus as I said above, mcmanaman didn’t complain at all

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just seen the brief highlights. Good finish from Nevitt and should bolster his confidence. Thought Hawkes made a decent stab at the breakaway effort in the second half; hit it well and a decent save.

I'd agree with Sparky that there's no merit in appealing the red card, but didn't think it was a terrible challenge; the ball was there to be won and just a slight error in timing.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thought Hawkes made a decent stab at the breakaway effort in the second half; hit it well and a decent save.
Yes, I probably didn't give him enough credit for the run and shot, it was a good save.

Reactions: Boz