• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Dons (1) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• MK Dons

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dons (1) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
Stadium MK
Saturday, August 12, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 12, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Going to be interesting who plays up front from the start would you leave them be and change things around in second half would think the will be a few changes from Tuesday night. And with the passing of ben they have all the motivation they need or should have it do it for him boys

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m guessing some changes will be made such as the return of McGee, Turnbull and Hawkes. Sam Taylor arguably deserves to keep his place so it‘ll be interesting whether Dawes goes with Norris, Dennis and Hawkes as a front 3, or leaves one of the latter two out for young Sam. My guess is Taylor will be back on the bench but will play some part. Whether LOC is recalled ahead of McAlear will also be something for Dawes to ponder. I’m assuming it’ll be the same midfield trio of hendry, Lewis and Morris.

A Wrexham fan from work was very impressed with MK dons last week. He said they were organised (although they did concede 3), and that the front two were a real handful. Their manager Alexander has been promoted from this level and they’ll have a decent budget so this won’t be easy. Hopefully we’ve got some confidence from Tuesday night and can go and pick up a result, ahead of a winnable game at home to Harrogate on Tuesday night.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
As Sparky mentions above, I think we'll have a challenge at the back as they pose some threats going forward so it will be interesting to see how we cope. I would assume McGee and Turnbull will return but Dawes made it no secret he likes to make subs and rotate so expect we'll see Taylor as some stage with Dennis and Norris playing a part early on. Tough game though, let's see how the lads handle it.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A very tough game ahead as I think they will be in with a good shout of promotion this season, I think they will win 3 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am going to miss the next couple of games as I am away, but I will watch from afar.

I agree with Sparky regarding the potential changes. McGee, Turnbull and Hawkes will certainly return, but I would not be completely surprised if Taylor keeps his place ahead of Dennis. Taylor was outstanding against Barnsley and arguably man of the match.

It is a tough game, but if we play like we did on Tuesday night we can get a result. Hopefully we can now start to find some consistency.

ADD

Player
Norwood
The interesting thing this season for the next few games at least is how soon Dennis Norris and Hemmings will be genuinely match fit. If they all are we have an abundance of riches up front with the issues of course being back four/ midfield.
I expect Taylor to start. For who for I am not so sure but Dawes whatever people think of him showed in his post Barnsley presser that he is more than happy to play young players if they are good enough and in my opinion he is. McAlear may keep his spot as although I didn't see the whole game he seems to have done well.
As others have said clearly McGee will return and Turnbull. Looking forward to it..

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The hosts must be favourites for this. Their fans weren’t entirely happy with the comings and goings pre-season and their comfortable win over our Welsh neighbours was a surprise, although Alexander a proven manager at this level.

I would expect McGee, Turnbull and O’Connor to start, the latter as we will need a right-back whose primary role is defensive this weekend. On forwards my preference would be a half each for Norris and Dennis as the lead striker and there are arguments who else fits in around that. I’d be happy to see Sam Taylor involved either starting or off the bench. On the issue of Dawes and younger players, I’m a bit puzzled as to why Rhys Hughes has been almost totally sidelined by the new manager. While there are issues with his defensive game and stamina, he offers something different creatively and gives the best chance of scoring from a free-kick in the squad.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree that this will be a tough game, at least as difficult as Barnsley. A draw would be a great result.

Re Rhys Hughes, I just think he’s been unlucky. The squad is packed with midfielders and Ian has had to pack the bench with strikers so he can sub both Dennis and Norris. The re-emergence of McAlear hasn’t helped his cause either. Rhys is clearly rated by Dawes, having just had a contract extension. He will just have to knuckle down and be patient.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with BBTC re Hughes. Unfortunately for Rhys we’re overloaded with central midfield options. He’s still young so perhaps another spell out on loan somewhere would help his development. It’s a long season though but it can’t be easy for a young lad not even getting on the bench but that’s football

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think there will be a space in midfield because I'm not at all convinced by Walkers stamina and ability to stay fit.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
2-0rovers with Dennis the menace and a rolls Royce Norris getting them inthe 98 th min and 115min of the game lol happy travelling Rover's

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I think there will be a space in midfield because I'm not at all convinced by Walkers stamina and ability to stay fit.
I agree Ian.
Whilst he never got loads of preseason game time, he's had ample time to get himself in better shape.....if he wants to.
Classy player and would be a great addition if fit enough to do himself justice.
Morris can do a job in there and break up their play while Walker gets himself right.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree that this will be a tough game, at least as difficult as Barnsley. A draw would be a great result.

Re Rhys Hughes, I just think he’s been unlucky. The squad is packed with midfielders and Ian has had to pack the bench with strikers so he can sub both Dennis and Norris. The re-emergence of McAlear hasn’t helped his cause either. Rhys is clearly rated by Dawes, having just had a contract extension. He will just have to knuckle down and be patient.
When did the contact extension happen? I couldn’t see anything recent on the Rovers website and thought he was still on the second year of the deal Vaughan arranged.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
When did the contact extension happen? I couldn’t see anything recent on the Rovers website and thought he was still on the second year of the deal Vaughan arranged.
You are right, Boz. Apologies.

Reactions: Boz

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Fancy a draw tomorrow with some goals. Say 2-2. Dennis and Hawkes.

Reactions: Ian