• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Crawley v Rovers

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Crawley

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Crawley v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Broadfield Stadium
Saturday, April 15, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 15, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I vaguely remember somebody saying there’s no easy run as teams will be fighting for their lives, now they’re described as “crap” or “de-motivated”; I’m confused; can we have it both ways….seems so if it fits the narrative.
I don't recall making the first of those two statements, if it is me you are referring to. Interestingly, we have only managed to beat a 'de-motivated' team (Swindon) under Dawes.

Dawes has been part of the coaching set up under three sacked managers and should also be held accountable for his performance. He should not be 'cut any more slack' than anybody else. Or perhaps that does not suit your narrative ? He should leave in the summer.

I don't accept that Mellon under-performed relative to the resources at his disposal. Football certainly is ruthless, but managers are often sacked simply to assuage supporters in the short term or to deflect criticism from an owner, rather than for justifiable reasons (cf. Darryl Clarke today).

ADD

Player
Norwood
Mellon’s gone, time for us all to get over it; I never called for it, would have been okay if he’d have stayed, but fully accept why the decision was made; football’s a ruthless business. Surely targets were set and it’s my guess we fell below expectations. Hypothetical questions about Dawes serve no purpose as we’ll never know. Dawes is a temporary sticking plaster, so I think he needs cutting some slack. We’ve mis-fired for a while now and I guess blame has to be shared for that, from top to bottom. We appear no better or worse despite the change and despite arguments to the contrary; polishing or sprinkling glitter on it ain’t gonna change the reality that we’ve been massively mediocre and toothless for a good chunk of the season. If we’re genuinely ambitious, the cards don’t just need shuffling, we need a new dealer and a fresh pack; how many jokers should a pack have?
I vaguely remember somebody saying there’s no easy run as teams will be fighting for their lives, now they’re described as “crap” or “de-motivated”; I’m confused; can we have it both ways….seems so if it fits the narrative.
Agreed Goody we do need to move on. I was in the opposite camp in that I felt we needed a change as MM simply wasn't working. You are correct I am sure that our performance this season was below the expectations of MP (rightly or wrongly) but I also feel that the awful second half of last season and the atrocious away record all of last season would have been part of that decision process.
I agree that Dawes was on a hiding to nothing as it is quite clear several of the important players in the squad are going through the motions whilst confidence in the entire squad is way down. Personally, I think he has impressed in his press conferences and with a pre-season to get his tactics across and time with the players to gel I think he would have done decently. However, I don't think for one minute he will get the job full time.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Personally, I think he has impressed in his press conferences and with a pre-season to get his tactics across and time with the players to gel I think he would have done decently.
Not sure there is any evidence for this at all.

The form in the second half of the season under Mellon was not that different to the first, certainly after taking account of injuries.