• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Colchester (2) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• Colchester

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Colchester (2) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
Jobserve Stadium
Saturday, September 9, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 9, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Status
Not open for further replies.

drwhoman

I have been told that Adkins does not want to manage the club he just wants to be closer to his family that live on the wirral
If true it seems a pathetic reason to take a senior position at a professional football club. You would wonder about his level of commitment. I cannot imagine that he needs the money.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
I absolutely agree that Dawes has to ultimately shoulder the blame, but watching the game yesterday and looking at the highlights, most of the players need to take a long, hard look at themselves in the mirror. The amount of times we conceded the ball under little or no pressure, with options available, and the opportunities to put tackles in that were shirked, was shocking. It’s been mentioned about the disparity in physicality yesterday, but I’m a believer in “It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog” and that’s sorely missing (pre-injury, Norris most definitely had that fight).
I know motivation and attitude can positively be influenced by managers/coaches, but surely there’s also got to be a large dollop of self-motivation and desire. We have some experienced pros in the team that should also lead by example. I’m aware that there has to be respect and belief for any manager/leadership team and methods; maybe there’s an issue with regards to that and players are not buying into it (the other scenario is that they’re just not good enough to implement it).
Anyhow, it does seem inevitable things will change with one aspect of the current dynamic and let’s hope it’s a trigger for more positive things.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would not judge any of the players until they are effectively managed. At present we are a rudderless shambles and confidence is rock bottom. No player can perform in those circumstances.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would not judge any of the players until they are effectively managed. At present we are a rudderless shambles and confidence is rock bottom. No player can perform in those circumstances.
A week ago we had over 10k for a big local Derby but we barely made a tackle or got stuck into them at all, that's not just down to the manager that's the players as well

Player
Manager
John King
A week ago we had over 10k for a big local Derby but we barely made a tackle or got stuck into them at all, that's not just down to the manager that's the players as well
If the tactics are so inept that we can not get near or lay a glove on the opposition, with gaping holes all over the pitch, it will appear that the players are not trying. I think they are trying but are poorly managed.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
You’d like to think the players are judging themselves without any help from us; self-reflection, post-match, should be the norm for any self-respecting professional worth their salt. I very much doubt they’ll be pointing the finger at the manager, if they’re genuine, and many will be disappointed at their own contribution. McGee should be the only one enjoying a hearty breakfast this morning.

Player
Manager
John King
It is a team game, so there is very little individual players can do if the entire tactical set up is wrong. If that was not the case, we would need to bother with managers at all. Every player could do his own thing and 'look after his own performance' .

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
It is a team game, so there is very little individual players can do if the entire tactical set up is wrong. If that was not the case, we would need to bother with managers at all. Every player could do his own thing and 'look after his own performance' .
It is indeed a team game, but each player is allocated a role/responsibility. The team is only as good as the sum of its parts. Analysing individual performance, whether it be a team or individual sport, is a key part of sports psychology. We learn from our mistakes or indeed what went well. I’d be hugely concerned about the investment players have in Tranmere Rovers if they’ve not had a sleepless night analysing what they could have done better/differently within their own role/responsibility (then again, that’s a preconception on my part that they are invested). That’s not about feeling sorry for themselves, but a desire to improve and achieve better outcomes. It’s telling that “we” discuss individual players regarding errors/poor performance and don’t mask it in the context of it being a team game; we actually do the same for good performances from individual players (admittedly more of a rarity right now). A player does have an accountability and a responsibility to “look after his own performance”; that will just be one cog in the well-oiled machine (I think we’re well overdue a top-up in the oil department).
I don’t disagree that tactics may impact on an individuals optimum output, but they are still paid professionals who need to perform to their best; it’s my opinion that did not happen yesterday and in some recent games, as I’ve already cited with regards to unforced errors and a lack of grit/fight in challenges/physicality; that is not about tactics, it’s individual culpability.

Player
Manager
John King
If the fundamental tactical approach is wrong, individuals will not perform to their maximum. That is why managers get sacked.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Absolute class interview by Luke McGee.
On a side note he seems to rate the full back that's just joined......so here's hoping.
Little to be positive about lately, but I think Pike has been a real bonus given we've probably got him for a song.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
If the fundamental tactical approach is wrong, individuals will not perform to their maximum. That is why managers get sacked.
I think you’re absolving players of any individual sins (is it okay to say that on a Sunday morning!) is very generous.
I’m just going to have to humbly accept your viewpoint (I’ve already highlighted/accepted tactics are a contributory factor).

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Aside from the excellent McGee, I wouldn’t fault Connor Jennings for effort, while allowances can be made for some of the younger/newer recruits.

Player
Manager
John King
I think you’re absolving players of any individual sins (is it okay to say that on a Sunday morning!) is very generous.
I’m just going to have to humbly accept your viewpoint (I’ve already highlighted/accepted tactics are a contributory factor).
I have not asked anyone to 'humbly accept' my view, but I am entitled to express an opinion.

I think the majority of professional footballers do work hard, but low confidence and a lack of organisation can often be mistaken for a lack of effort. Of course, individuals can perform poorly and should be held accountable for poor performance. However, it is very difficult to judge individual performance when the team as a collective is performing so poorly and is clearly poorly managed.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Do I need to be asked by you to accept (in however I accept) your view? It was a genuine, light-hearted “olive branch” which you’ve thrown back.
Evidence where I’ve said you’re not entitled to express an opinion; debating an issue doesn’t mean your denying the right of the other individual to their opinion.
By the way, entirely agree with your second paragraph.
Can we leave it at that?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The fact remains that it’s managers that get sacked and not players. Yes some of the players need to look at themselves but it is a managers job to get the best out of his staff and Dawes clearly isn’t

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
And he's gone...

Adkins takes over for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.