• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Colchester (2) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• Colchester

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Colchester (2) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
Jobserve Stadium
Saturday, September 9, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 9, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
More strange subs taking Taylor our main attacking threat off. No issue with Hawkes & Wood coming on, but Morris having a poor game stays on
Morris must have some secret photos or video of Dawes!!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Morris has been doing more defending than attacking!

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
In my mind I’ve tried to rationalise about recent defeats and thought today would be more of an accurate barometer of where we’re at, against opponents who’ve had a similar start to us. Sadly, it looks worse than even I anticipated, with Colchester looking like a much better side than us (no doubt we contributed to making them look good). We were brushed aside so easily and just seemed to be going through the motions. I’m not sure how long this will be allowed to continue as it doesn’t bode well. I’m hoping things will turn around quickly, or it’s going to be a long and unhappy season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Another battering and only McGee kept the scoreline respectable.

It made me smile that Dawes at last decided to go with two strikers, yet could not resist playing Morris out of position as a left wing back. Lo and behold, within three minutes Colchester had easily got in down our left hand side and should have scored.

We were utterly inept tactically. Too much space in the wide areas, absolutely no protection for the defence from the midfield and no pressure on the ball in any area of the pitch. I lost count of the number of times Colchester cut through us with a couple of passes or a simple long ball.

The stats are horrendous. Twenty seven shots to ten, twelve efforts on target to four. Eight clear cut chances conceded. And against a team that was in twenty second position at three o'clock.

We are now being cut adrift and Dawes will surely be removed this weekend. Our Football League status is at stake.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
27 shots to 7, 6 on target to 2 against the team just above us and another side with injury issues and three players making their debut. No excuses.

That’s now six defeats on the bounce and no goals for four games.

I would not just sack a manager based just on results. Alex Ferguson survived over two years without any success. I would always ask myself “Do I think we are likely to improve with this manager in charge?”

Frankly, I can’t see it. He plays our best goal poacher on the wing, employs a formation which leaves our (young) defence exposed, he leaves our top scorer last season on the bench and humiliates a young player on his debut by pulling him off just before half-time.

I’m struggling for positives. All I can come up with is that we have lost most games by a single goal and the others by only two. However, we have been outplayed in almost every game and been lucky to escape with a narrow defeat. How many games have we looked like we had a chance of winning? Barnsley was good and Harrogate was welcome, but we have been uninspiring in all the others, by all accounts.

Embarrassing though it is for the owners, this can’t go on.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes but I was listening to Dawes pre match on Merseyside and he was telling us how a team (cant remember who now) went from being in our position to winning the league so keep the faith chaps!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Plenty of people saying Dawes was sacked straight after the game.

Let us hope they are right.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
A defeated man. Time for change, we need better than this at our club.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I feel quite sad listening to that. Sounds a broken man. But he knew the job when he took it on and football is a ruthless business.

Time for Palios to make the change and we try and salvage the season

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Sounded like a man who knows he will be out of a job by Monday. For everyone’s sake, including his, I hope I’m right.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
From a source at the opera!
The fat lady is once again clearing her vocal chords!

The question now, is who is next for the poisoned chalice?

Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Plenty of people saying Dawes was sacked straight after the game.

Let us hope they are right.
It could be true. But they will probably wait until they have put a caretaker in place before they make an announcement.

Personally, I’d like Danns to be given the stand-in role and Adkins given the responsibility for recruiting a new nanager - anyone but Palios!!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I have found a good quote from Oliver Cromwell which fits well. "You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go".

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Another obvious defeat, I really hope Dawes goes this weekend as its obvious he's not upto the job and the longer he stays the more likely we are to ve relegated

Status
Not open for further replies.