• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Carlisle v Rovers

Match result

• Carlisle

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Carlisle v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Brunton Park
Friday, April 7, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Friday, April 7, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A mutual consent is the least Micky deserved, and surely MP would have given him that option first. I don’t think he’s spoken publicly since he left either, which adds to the feeling that it could have been acrimonious.

I didn’t buy his ‘first 100 days’ management book but I might buy his autobiography if he ever does one!
I wasn't expecting the sacking having seen the post-Newport interview.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think the expectations on here last season, with the squad we had, were of matching the play-off achievement, which the caretakers then Hill had managed to drag us into in the previous season. Why Micky couldn't manage that is open to debate, the McNulty shifting sands and not recruiting a proven/fit striker until January and the suspensions to McDonald and Morris in April were factors but feel it's still right to assess last season as disappointing.

I agree that with the squad we've had this season mid-table was a realistic expectation. Unclear of Mark's rationale for the sacking, but if Micky had already decided he was leaving at the end of the season, while it would have been more dignified to let him stay, but given the toxic atmosphere after the Newport debacle, maybe it was actually kinder to let him go then?
I was very sorry to see Micky go. If we find someone who does as well with the resources we have and loves the club as much has Micky clearly does, we will be very lucky. Maybe sacking Micky will prove to be Mark's worst decision, but I would also be sorry to see the Palioses go. Finding owners with better ideas, integrity, love of the club and more money would be difficult. Micky and Mark have given the club everything they could over the past few years. Both have made some unfortunate decisions, but neither has had much luck with the early managerial appointments, the commercial ventures, the PPG demotion, the scrapping of the salary cap, the move to Dundee United and some unfortunate injuries to key players. No one can call us a lucky club.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the expectations on here last season, with the squad we had, were of matching the play-off achievement, which the caretakers then Hill had managed to drag us into in the previous season. Why Micky couldn't manage that is open to debate,
The caretakers and Hill had Vaughan up front in the 2020-21 season. His goals and ability to lead the line made a huge difference compared to the strikers Mellon had for much of the following season (Mani and Nevitt for heaven's sake).

I would also argue the 2020-21 squad as a whole was better than the one Mellon had the following season. The wage budget was probably higher in the Jackson / Hill season compared to our competitors, as a lot of other clubs were cutting back due to Covid and at that stage we were in a fairly strong financial position, having recently received the Indonesian investment.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The caretakers and Hill had Vaughan up front in the 2020-21 season. His goals and ability to lead the line made a huge difference compared to the strikers Mellon had for much of the following season (Mani and Nevitt for heaven's sake).

I would also argue the 2020-21 squad as a whole was better than the one Mellon had the following season. The wage budget was probably higher in the Jackson / Hill season compared to our competitors, as a lot of other clubs were cutting back due to Covid and at that stage we were in a fairly strong financial position, having recently received the Indonesian investment.
Firstly I think Mellon would have probably got us promoted with the 20-21 squad. However, the 21-22 squad, despite some shortcomings, was still one most on here believed capable of at least a play off position. Not solely down to Micky that we failed to achieve that, but an implication that he couldn’t do anything better is something I wouldn’t go along with.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Another one for you guys the hot dogs the club are using cosy£1-29 a jar for 12 and £1 for 12 dog rolls youdothe maths

Reactions: Ian
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Firstly I think Mellon would have probably got us promoted with the 20-21 squad. However, the 21-22 squad, despite some shortcomings, was still one most on here believed capable of at least a play off position. Not solely down to Micky that we failed to achieve that, but an implication that he couldn’t do anything better is something I wouldn’t go along with.
We actually won more points that season that in the previous season under Hill and missed out on the top seven by the finest of margins, having been in the play off positions for the majority of the season.

If you factor in the serious issues we had at centre forward, I don't view Mellon's performance as an underperformance.