• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Carlisle v Rovers

Match result

• Carlisle

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Carlisle v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Brunton Park
Friday, April 7, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Friday, April 7, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rovers make the trip to Brunton Park hoping for a Good Friday and to spoil the party. The Cumbrians have reduced admission prices and are hoping to have a full house. Rovers have sold around 600 tickets so far and will be looking to reverse the home fixture back in October when an impressive Carlisle side beat us 2-0 comfortably at PP. They also knocked us out of the FA cup in November and given the teams respective league positions you would expect a home win.

That said Carlisle are by their previous standards, out of form. Winless in four and they haven’t scored a goal during that time. However as we’ve seen so many times that normally means our opponents end their poor run when up against rovers. They have in their ranks Kristian Dennis top scorer with 17 league goals plus the dangerous Omari Patrick. Whilst they haven’t been free scoring of late, they did keep clean sheets against Stevenage and cookies Bradford and have a decent defensive record with ex rovers loannee Morgan Feeney skippering the side.

As for our team news barring injuries I’m expecting the same back four and keeper. The only change in the diamond could see O’Connor come in for Hughes if Dawes feels it could be a tough ask for young Rhys but I’d prefer he got the minutes. Although whilst it’s unlikely Dawes will get the job full time, after two draws against average opposition he’ll know he needs to pick up a win asap if he has any chance of getting the job. If Hemings is fit then I’ll expect he’ll start alongside Saunders. If not it'll likely be Mumbongo Alongside Harvey.

Prediction: we’re well capable of taking a point, but I fear the full house could spur the hosts on to a home win.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
As Sparky says, Carlisle have to win this game to keep alive their hopes of automatic promotion so it will be the first real test for Dawes. The away ticket sales are impressive considering it is a complete dead rubber for us, and given the tension in the home crowd it should be a decent atmosphere.

Carlisle are the best side I have seen this season and beat us convincingly in both previous games, with a high tempo pressing game. If we try and play out from the back from the first minute as we did last Friday, it could be a tricky afternoon.

Their manager Paul Simpson has done a great job but has been less than complimentary about us in the last couple of years, so it would be enjoyable to pi$$ on his chips on Friday.

I think Hemmings will play about sixty minutes in place of Mumbongo and we will otherwise be unchanged.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If we try and play out from the back from the first minute as we did last Friday, it could be a tricky afternoon.
Which we will, I fear a comfortable afternoon for Carlisle. We will not pose much up front and the hosts with everything to play for will really put the pressure on. 3-0 loss.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Hang on this is Tranmere we have a shit team piss poor forwards fuck all to play for plus I have a party at the club to do we will win 1-0

ADD

Player
Norwood
Looking forward to it - a real test for Dawes diamond. Will also likely see what his Plan B is.

As others have said they were very good against us earlier in the season and after their recent hiccups with 2 defeats they will 100% be going for the win from the off roared on by a full house. For us pretty sure also that the only change will be Hemmings for Mumbongo.

Sparky is spot on in that if Dawes really wants the job (unlikely though it may be) then playing attractive but open football is all very well and good, but at some point he needs to get some wins under his belt. Tomorrow is a great opportunity for him to to showcase his credentials but he also will surely be mindful that playing it around could also easily lead to us conceding 3 or 4 and with it any outside prospect of him getting the job.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
These are members only vids but I'll try them anyway.

Last edited:
Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Sorry Ian, still showing “members only”; thought I was getting a free sneaky peek! :D

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They would have told me off anyway :lol: :laugh:

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Meeting a Carlisle supporter, up there, who is enthusiastic about his clubs performances this season.
I really can't see us winning, but a point is possible. Looking forward to the atmosphere.
but we have to start better than last week.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While it would be nice to repay Carlisle for last April, when in conjunction with the dismal Charles Brakespear, they effectively ended our season, the reality is we'll do well to take anything from this game. Best hope is that Rovers trick of crumbling in front of big home crowds isn't unique to us and the Cumbrians succumb, after their reduced prices look like paying dividends in terms of crowd size..

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Hemmings in for Mumbongo who drops to the bench

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not a massive issue but I would have preferred Davies to have kept the captaincy. Would be an incentive for Tom to hopefully sign a new deal and Kane could concentrate on scoring goals.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No surprise about Hemmings starting. No keeper on the bench again and O’Connor doesn't start. Agree with Sparky over captaincy. Even if Tom isn’t staying, he’s better suited to the role.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ground looking good with a decent crowd.