• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

bury wow what the hell

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
amazing how bad things have got for the shakers in the space of just a few months.
The problems actually go back five years or more. They were spending money they did not have in 2015 when they won promotion under Flitcroft.

I think repeat offenders like Bury should simply be liquidated and forced to start at the bottom, as Chester did.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Under the terms of the CVA 75% of their creditors receive nothing, which is bound to put some local companies out of business.

Absolutely shocking and should not be allowed to happen.
That's not quite correct RLC. All creditors have agreed (well a majority of creditors by total amount owed anyhow) have agreed to accept a 75% haircut so they will get 25p in the pound on their debts. Re local companies that may well be the case but the alternative was likely administration/ insolvency when they for sure would get next to nothing. HMRC also are covered by this CVA so the much adjourned court case will fall away.
I agree with you it an absolute shambles though 100%. Dale will also benefit if he can ever get anyone mad enough to buy the club since he still owns the shares and can now sell the club with debts reduced by 75% and a payment plan spreading the remaining debt repayments over likely many years. A 12 points deduction seems like quite a good result for him in the circumstances!!

Player
Manager
John King
That's not quite correct RLC. All creditors have agreed (well a majority of creditors by total amount owed anyhow) have agreed to accept a 75% haircut so they will get 25p in the pound on their debts. Re local companies that may well be the case but the alternative was likely administration/ insolvency when they for sure would get next to nothing. HMRC also are covered by this CVA so the much adjourned court case will fall away.
I agree with you it an absolute shambles though 100%. Dale will also benefit if he can ever get anyone mad enough to buy the club since he still owns the shares and can now sell the club with debts reduced by 75% and a payment plan spreading the remaining debt repayments over likely many years. A 12 points deduction seems like quite a good result for him in the circumstances!!
If the club was declared insolvent and all assets disposed of, the creditors would get more than 25% (at least, any creditors that were secured). The courts always seem to treat football clubs as 'special cases' in situations like this, whereas any commercial enterprise would simply be liquidated in the same circumstances.

A twelve point deduction is no more than a slap on the wrist and no disincentive for clubs to behave the same way in future. At the very least, clubs should be kicked out of the League when they get into this mess.

Player
aldo
yes agree with you teams should be demoted right to the bottom and have to start again . shocking how clubs get away with things like this

ADD

Player
Norwood
If the club was declared insolvent and all assets disposed of, the creditors would get more than 25% (at least, any creditors that were secured). The courts always seem to treat football clubs as 'special cases' in situations like this, whereas any commercial enterprise would simply be liquidated in the same circumstances.

A twelve point deduction is no more than a slap on the wrist and no disincentive for clubs to behave the same way in future. At the very least, clubs should be kicked out of the League when they get into this mess.
The problem with that RLC is that the secured creditors are in fact a company which in itself is in liquidation (Bury's previous Owner) so the chances of Bury's local creditors getting anything in an insolvency is likely zero. As far as I am aware the only difference between a football club and "ordinary" businesses are that football creditors ie players and staff are due 100% and do not take a hit. Liquidators have a legal obligation to do best for all creditors but yes I agree that local interest groups/ councils etc. seem to generate a lot of headlines to pressure survival. My mate who is a Bury fan could go on forever about how badly the club has been run. For anyone interested the attached is a decent summary of the shenanigans!!

Player
Manager
John King
The problem with that RLC is that the secured creditors are in fact a company which in itself is in liquidation (Bury's previous Owner) so the chances of Bury's local creditors getting anything in an insolvency is likely zero. As far as I am aware the only difference between a football club and "ordinary" businesses are that football creditors ie players and staff are due 100% and do not take a hit. Liquidators have a legal obligation to do best for all creditors but yes I agree that local interest groups/ councils etc. seem to generate a lot of headlines to pressure survival. My mate who is a Bury fan could go on forever about how badly the club has been run. For anyone interested the attached is a decent summary of the shenanigans!!

I think there is a social pressure on insolvency practitioners and creditors not to put football clubs out of business, whereas they would be more ruthless in dealing with private trading companies in the same circumstances. It will take several clubs going bust to change the behaviour of directors, otherwise there is no incentive for them to behave responsibly.

Reactions: Ian

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
It's always disappointing when you think somebody has got away with something.
Bury clearly have, albeit legally.
Morally, most fans will know them for what they are.
Anyone else, cos I do, begrudge Bournemouth where they are?

Player
Manager
John King
Bury now face expulsion from the League in two weeks if they can't prove the terms of the CVA will be met. About time to be honest.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Bury now face expulsion from the League in two weeks if they can't prove the terms of the CVA will be met. About time to be honest.

I would doubt anything will happen about it, things just seem to be allowed to drag on with both Bury and Bolton and the league season starts in 9 days

Player
ian goodison
bangor in the welsh league docked 42 pts for financial irregularities that needs to happen here

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Interesting to see that in addition to Kay & Dagnall playing for them v Blackburn the other night, DMH was on the bench but not checked if he came on. Sounds like they got the all clear on the ground today but the CVA is a very different matter! Some alluding to the delay just being as a result of legal red tape but I’m not so sure, time will tell I guess....

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Bury opening game with Franchise has been postponed.

Player
Manager
John King
It looks like they are finished does not it ? They still only have five players, no prospective new owner, and I can't see how they are going to start the season.

I would normally have sympathy for a club in this position, but this has been coming for Bury for a number of years. They have been appallingly badly run and a lot of their supporters have been in denial about their excessive spending. They need to start again from the bottom like Chester.

Last edited:

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
And their adjourned winding up petition due to be heard again on Wednesday?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
While I understand your point, RLC, this could happen to any club. Some Bury fans don't deserve our sympathy, but I bet most are just like you and me. As individuals, you and I have no influence over how MP runs TRFC just as Shakers' fans had no say in how the last two owners conducted affairs at Gigg Lane. No winners, just a hell of a lot of losers.

If Bury and Bolton fold and are kicked out of the EFL, it will cause a lot of problems. Not only those two clubs will be affected. Every League One club will have four fewer games, with the resulting loss of income. The EFL will have to decide how to fill the two vacancies. Presumably, they will wait until next season to sort the mess out. They could decide just to relegate two clubs next May or they could promote six from L2! Then, depending on where Bolton and Bury end up, the VNL and lower tiers will benefit too. And of course there will be two blank places in the First Round of this season's FA Cup.

Player
Manager
John King
While I understand your point, RLC, this could happen to any club. Some Bury fans don't deserve our sympathy, but I bet most are just like you and me. As individuals, you and I have no influence over how MP runs TRFC just as Shakers' fans had no say in how the last two owners conducted affairs at Gigg Lane. No winners, just a hell of a lot of losers.

If Bury and Bolton fold and are kicked out of the EFL, it will cause a lot of problems. Not only those two clubs will be affected. Every League One club will have four fewer games, with the resulting loss of income. The EFL will have to decide how to fill the two vacancies. Presumably, they will wait until next season to sort the mess out. They could decide just to relegate two clubs next May or they could promote six from L2! Then, depending on where Bolton and Bury end up, the VNL and lower tiers will benefit too. And of course there will be two blank places in the First Round of this season's FA Cup.
Supporters of all clubs can have an influence over how their club is run, or at least draw attention to unscrupulous owners - look at Blackpool for example - but there have been no attempts by Bury supporters to challenge their owners until now, when it is far too late. Not only that, but the Bury fans were happy to celebrate a second fraudulent promotion at PP a few weeks ago when we, and they, knew it was illegitimate. More broadly, clubs that behave as recklessly as they have need to be punished or there is no disincentive for other owners to do the same. The financial malpractice at Bury was first highlighted in the national press five years ago but their supporter groups were completely silent on the matter, because they had success in the short term.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
It is highly unlikely Bolton will fold, but if Bury are kicked out I would assume there will only be three relegation places in League One this season.

Player
aldo
you would think that . even if they did stick around . they are gonna have even more points taken off them for the called off game .