• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Who stays, who goes?

drwhoman

The Manager must have been following this site given his lack of signings. We have taken one back from Burton - the defender Holness. Not sure if he is any good but another defender which is good. Cannot help we need an experienced head at the back - both the signings in that area are young. Money I suppose for guys looking to finance houses, families etc.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
looks like Fon will go on a free due to a release clause in his contract in the event of relegation. Will need an experienced keeper in.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The fact that OFW can go for free is likely to attract a lot more interest in him. As Bigmart says we need an experienced keeper in and fairly sharpish, so that work can be done pre-season with him and the defence.

I've only just seen Drwhoman's remarks on defenders. I'd agree that we need another experienced man there, but Holness has been promoted with Rochdale, done the play-offs with Burton and is fairly highly rated by their fans, if prone to rush of blood moments, which have held him back. The most encouraging of our recruits so far in my eyes.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Jennings training with Port Vale there are pictures on twitter of him so hes leaving

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
If we lose fonners and Jenno this will be a big blow.

Not irreplaceable but still fairly big shoes to fill at this level.

PJ needs to get his cheque book out again. Horwood has left the club tooso there must be spare cash at least for wages.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Sparky, PJ will not put anymore money in hes already put a lot in to keep the club going during the summer months, we are financially in a mess.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Sparky, PJ will not put anymore money in hes already put a lot in to keep the club going during the summer months, we are financially in a mess.

What you are saying is not strictly true, as PJ has already promised that any money from season ticket sales in excess of last season's total will go into the playing squad; the last time I heard sales were set to go above last season's total with several weeks still to go to the start of the season. Added to which, we must have saved / made considerable sums on the departures of Taylor, Lowe, Wallace, Fon etc.

So even given our general financial circumstances there should be money available to bring in a couple more experienced faces. I am not convinced we don't have the finances to compete with AFC Wimbledon and Burton, both of whom have signed higher profile players than us this summer.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
With FonHorwood & Jennings all leaving we certainly need more experience whether we will get it remains to be seen.

drwhoman

Maybe the new Manager has to sell his future plans a bit better. Get people enthused even given the lack of money. Depressing that Jennings should prefer Port Vale to us! Horwood is no loss. I was surprised he was on a two year contract anyway.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
well Port Vale are in a higher league than us and will certainly offer him more than we have offered him.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I find it a little hard that we're so short of cash in comparison with L2 rivals. We managed to fund a chief exec in Mr Butler and turn down an offer of investment from the Trust. As RLC points out, we've made significant savings on wages and got some money in with the sales of Lowe and Wallace. The money from Lowe was meant to be re-invested in playing staff if Mr Butler was telling the truth.

It's unrealistic to expect that we can manage with the small size of squad we've currently got. Either recruit some more or agree some long-term loan deals. Otherwise staying in this league will be a major achievement.

drwhoman

Akpa Akpro has signed for Shrewsbury - so there you go - that is about ten players they have signed! Horwood went to Northampton - must be more money there.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Akpa Akpro has signed for Shrewsbury - so there you go - that is about ten players they have signed! Horwood went to Northampton - must be more money there.
I think this sums up where we are financially. Let's just accept there's no money and hope we have a 'decent' season.

drwhoman

Agree Ian. Perhaps Edwards has got the touch - we will soon find out! While there is a certain appeal about local derbies I am not sure I want us to be playing Chester, Southport and Wrexham again in 2015-16!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Creswell going to West Ham for a fee exceeding £2 million not that I think much of our money will go to the playing budget.

Player
Manager
John King
Horwood went to Northampton - must be more money there.

Horwood did not go for money; we wanted to move him on and agreed to cancel his contract, which was the right decision as he can't defend to save his life.

Regarding Cresswell, we stand to earn about £400-£500,000 from the deal, so some of that money must surely be invested in the playing squad ? Over to you PJ........

drwhoman

PJ is 70 odd - maybe he wants as much of his loan back while he can! Incidentally, what do folk think about the Ingleborough situation? I have relatives around Bebington and they are very opposed - war memorial etc. Obviously, I understand their view but Rovers need money from somewhere,

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The war memorial will be relocated if Ingleborough ever goes through but those against it seem to overlook this fact.

Player
Manager
John King
PJ is 70 odd - maybe he wants as much of his loan back while he can!

Johnson's loans have already been written off in their entirety. PJ may not want to incur further losses but given our supporter base at League Two level I seen no reason why we can't compete financially with the majority of clubs in that division.

Player
Manager
John King
The Cresswell deal is now confirmed with a reported fee of £3 million rising to £4 million depending on appearances. So Rovers are set to receive a cool £400,000 - £600,000 from the deal, in addition of course to the original Ipswich transfer fee. Good luck to him in the Premier League. Who knows, with Roy Hodgson favouring young players he may even be pushing for England involvement in the near future.

Certainly great business on Tranmere's part for a player who, aside from his set plays, did not look that exceptional when he was with us.