• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Who stays, who goes?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If the new signing is to be 1st choice at centre half then we are in a lot of trouble, if hes cover for more experienced defenders than that's not too bad.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree we need more cover but experience isn't everything. Compare Ben Gibson when he first came to us with that clown Foster we had last season.

Foster was very experienced and a captain at previous clubs.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with Sparky that there is no reason why a capable 21 year old should not play regularly alongside somebody more experienced. I also find it bizarre that some people are slating Edwards already based on our transfer activity, or lack of it: we don't have much money and most League Two clubs have done very little business so far.

However, I would concede that it seems unlikely that will be challenging for promotion next season when you consider the kind of quality Shrewsbury, Bury, Portsmouth etc. have been bringing in.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No problems with Ihiekwe coming in, he looks to have potential, but would agree that some experience is needed at the back.
We do have some money; we were promised the funds from Lowe's sale would go back into the player budget and I'd like to hope some of the Wallace money ends up there too. Rovers can't compete with the big spenders of L2, but when AFC Wimbledon can arrange a season long loan for a player of the calibre of Matt Tubbs as one example, then I do feel we need a marquee signing/loan to generate some enthusiasm amongst the fan-base.

Player
Manager
John King
Rovers can't compete with the big spenders of L2, but when AFC Wimbledon can arrange a season long loan for a player of the calibre of Matt Tubbs as one example, then I do feel we need a marquee signing/loan to generate some enthusiasm amongst the fan-base.

I agree with this. Craig Westcarr who has recently gone to Pompey is the kind of player we should be aiming to bring in, although in his particular case the wages were probably beyond our means. While a couple of the new signings have youth on their side, none of them are proven quality players in the lower leagues and you have to say that the best players we have retained from last season - Koumas, Power - look better on paper than the new arrivals.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I don't expect to see any marquee signings this year, but we only had one last year (Ryan Lowe). But I'll bet Richards, Gill and Ikiekwe turn out to be better than Horwood, Foster and Sodje. It's still early days, but I'll feel a lot happier when we sign a decent keeper (assuming Fonners leaves) and an experienced centre-back. I'd also like to see Max get an extended deal, but it may be that he's turned one down.

drwhoman

I see Shrewsbury have now signed Scott Vernon who will score goals at Div Two level. They must a have a slush fund somewhere to keep signing decent players.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yeah Shrewsbury are splashing the cash and have brought in good quality. However with a new manager it will be interesting whether they can all gel as the pressure and expectation will be on their shoulders and it doesnt always work out.

I'd be amazed if Power turned a deal down. Although he improved towards the end of the season, part of our awful 1st half of last season was due to him and Chris Atkinson not being good enough in the middle of the park. Yes he is a local lad etc but I'm still not convinced he has what it takes.

Clean slate though for all of the squad (whatever is left of it !)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Power is definitely good enough for league two and with him being young and having a genuine enthusiasm for the club, he's an important player for us.

Player
Manager
John King
I strongly disagree with Sparky's comments regarding Max. He was poor in the first half of last season because he was stupidly played out of position as a holding midfielder, which he clearly is not. Restored to his best position when McMahon took over, he was excellent.

Our problems in midfield in the first half of last season were due to not having a single player who could tackle, not because of Power's deficiencies as an individual; until Jennings arrived we had no balance in midfield.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sorry RLC but I don't think he was excellent under JMc. I don't think anyone was which was proven by our results.

I am not saying he was poor towards the end. He got better as the season went on and maybe was the best of a bad bunch towards the end, but I'll be amazed if there are other clubs queuing up to take him from us.

But I'll be made up if he has a full season this year and does well. Potential captain as has been mentioned before.

Player
Manager
John King
Power is definitely an above average player in League Two and a number of clubs in our division and the one above would be willing to take him if he was out of contract.

He was playing in an under-achieving team last year but he must have done something right to win young player of the year for the second season running.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I like Max I think hes a decent player who will improve the more games he plays and I think will be a key player for us next season,I really hope we can get him on a longer contract

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Alex Hay returns to the fold......as Head of Scouting, replacing Dave Philpotts . It really is all change down at "the Park"

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Lets hope he can persuade his old mate Jenno to stay !

Seriously though this isnt a bad move. He supports the club but having been at Chester for a while he may have some idea of decent players at that level who may be in our price range.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
As RLC says re Max Power; on another football forum there was a thread about if there was a fire-sale at Rovers and the other relegated sides, which players would be wanted. Aside from the departed trio of Lowe, Taylor and Wallace, Max was the name to feature most often, suggesting he has registered with opposing fans. The problems at the start of last season in midfield was the lack of a defensive holding player. Max CAN tackle, if sometimes a bit wildly, it's Rowe and Atkinson who were defective in that area. Like others, I would like him to sign for a longer term, but am not hopeful.

I hope what Sparky says about Alex Hay proves correct. A few rabbits out of hats in the form of non-league players capable of making the grade at this level Kingy-era style would not go amiss.

drwhoman

Nothing on new players beyond the new Manager's mates and a Wolves discard who comes from Liverpool and probably wanted to move back home. Looks like we will be scraping the bottom of the barrel again or looking for under the radar gems who might turn up for trial matches in July. A bit late for Alex Hay to be finding people who might be able to step up but we have to live in hope I suppose. There is no alternative.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Nothing on new players beyond the new Manager's mates and a Wolves discard who comes from Liverpool and probably wanted to move back home. Looks like we will be scraping the bottom of the barrel again or looking for under the radar gems who might turn up for trial matches in July. A bit late for Alex Hay to be finding people who might be able to step up but we have to live in hope I suppose. There is no alternative.
Did we expect anything more? Still think we might sign one or two more before the season starts.

White_Magic

Player
Ian Moore
Just seen that Scott Vernon has signed for Shrewsbury from Aberdeen...how are we missing out on these relatively big names for lower league teams? Would have been nice to have a proven goal scorer signed rather than signing people who we think can "improve".

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sadly we can't compete financially with these teams and money talks.