• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Who stays, who goes?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That seems to be a win for everyone. I thought Wallace was out of contract, as he's just finished his two-year deal, so didn't think we'd get a bean. I can only think it's to do with the rule about clubs signing players under 24 having to pay a transfer fee or compensation.
Spot on. He is out of contract but compo will need to be paid. I think it's just a matter of time now. Shame, great player, hope he has a better time with injuries.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Spot on. He is out of contract but compo will need to be paid. I think it's just a matter of time now. Shame, great player, hope he has a better time with injuries.
Thanks, Ian. While I wish him well and hope he stays clear of any more serious injuries, I do think he's a bit of a gamble because of his recent medical history.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, that could stop him becoming a really good player if he continues to be injury prone.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It's sad in a way given his form when we were doing so well but that seems a long time ago now....

On the one hand part of me is a tad annoyed with Wallace given we stood by him when he was injured and gave him the captains armband.

On the other hand I don't blame him turning down sheff utd who may challenge in L1 next season. Better going there than somewhere like Bury.

It will be interesting if his fitness holds up and also, whether he can establish a first team place.

Onwards anyway. Let's hope Jenno stays and Edwards can spend any cash wisely.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think we'd all thought Wallace would be off. It will be interesting to see how fares hereafter. For me, a talented player, perhaps not suited to the captaincy and not quite the same after his injury.

It has gone rather quiet in terms of players coming to Rovers; we don't seem to feature in the rumour mill much at present. Have to hope there's lots of activity going on behind the scenes.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Boz, Edwards has said he's trying to put pen to paper on a few deals but with players on holiday etc etc.. Wouldn't get too excited though, the pull of league two football and little financial incentive will hardly see them queuing at the PP gates.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It is indeed refreshing. A fit and in form Koumas could really make the difference between a season of transition / mid table and a promotion campaign. Being optimistic, he could easily reach double figures in the goal scoring stakes.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Well, Wallace has now officially departed. Quelle surprise.

Personally, I am not massively disappointed by this. I am not sure we can really justify paying a player with a dubious injury record 100k a year in League Two and it seems we have received reasonable compensation from Sheff Utd. I think Koumas will be a much more positive influence for us next season, on and off the pitch. We needed to move a couple of the egos from Ronnie's tenure out of the door, and it might be a blessing that Lowe and Wallace have gone.

No word yet on Steven Jennings, who me might still have a chance of keeping.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
As RLC says, Wallace's departure is no surprise. It will be interesting to see how he fares at Sheffield, much depending on his fitness.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Sorry to see him go but was inevitable when we were relegated, I find the undisclosed fee business frustrating again. If we manage to keep Jennings for me it would soften the blow of losing Wallace but if he leaves too it will be a big loss.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The way I'm looking at it is that with Wallace and Lowe gone, we are down on quality as they were our better players ego's or not. We have to try and bring some quality in too, as hard as that's going to be. Looks like a lot is resting on Koumas' shoulders next season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The way I'm looking at it is that with Wallace and Lowe gone, we are down on quality as they were our better players ego's or not. We have to try and bring some quality in too, as hard as that's going to be. Looks like a lot is resting on Koumas' shoulders next season.

We are down on quality, but if we are going to be less reliant on loan players next season it would not have made sense financially to keep Wallace. Let us not forget, we could only really afford him in the first place becasue the squad was so threadbare in other areas.

Added to which,we are now competing at a level that has less quality generally anyway and one that Wallace would (understandably) never have agreed to play at, whatever money we offered him. With the money we have made from the Lowe and Wallace deals, you would expect that we will be able to bring in a couple of decent, experienced League Two players.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Jennings has turned down the offer but an improved offer has been put to him but Edwards doesn't sound too confidant he will stay, with Fon likely to go and Horwood too we are going to have to bring in a fair few players but I don't think we will get much quality in.

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
With the money we have made from the Lowe and Wallace deals, you would expect that we will be able to bring in a couple of decent, experienced League Two playersI just hope the money is reinvested in playing squad i think with every player we loose the chances of going back up just become harder.

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
Sorry RLC did use quote marks but they didnt come out!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
looks like Horwood is going to Northampton
Presumably we'll get some money for that as he's still under contract. Ordinarily, I wouldn't be too bothered about his departure, not the best defender although decent going forward and at set pieces. However the lack of any arrivals is a bit worrying when other sides are managing to do decent business and Evan going would leave just 3 defenders on the books.

Is anyone going to the Q+A session with Rob Edwards before the Uruguay game? It may be quite a difficult evening for him.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
First question out the bag. Who are we signing?
I think most people will go easy on him. Although we are losing quite a few players, there's still a sense of optimism and a fresh start for all concerned.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Michael Ihiekwe - 21 yr old Central defender/Right back signed today on a 2 year contract, ex-Liverpool Academy and Wolverhampton Wanderers player been on loan last season at Cheltenham Town. Might well develop into useful squad player but I think we also need some more experience at the back before the start of the season.