• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Very O/T - Everton

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Four down at home to Brighton after 55 minutes. Is this finally their year ?

It looks very ominous.

I was talking to an Evertonian pal about this last week. When you can’t score goals but have to make do with signings like Maupay to address it then the alarm bells are ringing loud. Thing is, under the current ownership, even changing manager won’t do much. Whereas a few of their relegation rivals look like they might have some improvement in them.

If they did go down, you wouldn’t back them to come straight back up. In fact, if that happened, you wouldn’t entirely rule them out plummeting even further!

I’d always considered a certain comedy value in Everton going down, but I‘d hate to see the club decline long term.

Player
Manager
John King
You would imagine West Ham have the quality to pull clear, and clubs like Wolves and Forest have ambitious owners and a fair amount of money to spend.

Their survival last season was largely down to Richarlison. They are better defensively this season (aside from tonight) but seem to have even less quality in attacking areas.

drwhoman

Sadly, Everton are increasingly becoming an irrelevance. In the early 1960s they were the senior club in Liverpool, funded by the Moores pools family, and while they have has some good spells since, the reality is that they have not done much for the last 25 years other than survive in the PL. I recall going, as a child, to what was then a modern Goodison with some of my male relatives. Some great players amongst whom my favourite player was Alex Young, ‘the golden vision’ a Scottish centre forward. He just seemed to float over the ground! It maybe that to get back to the top they might need to become another Arab sportswashing project like City or Newcastle. Moshiri has put a lot of money into the Club which has not been spent well but at the same time I wonder where that comes from. He seems very close to Russian oligarchs whose business practices are highly questionable.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Well said, drwhoman. I saw my first match at Goodison in 1961. Back in the day, the norm was for all football clubs to be owned by local businessmen. Not always very well, but football had fewer competitors and wages were capped.

Nowadays, hardly any of the top sides, including a lot of EFL teams, are owned by rich foreigners. Why is this? Why so few English owners?

Some owners are relatively benign (Liverpool’s), but others have dodgy business models (the Glazers at Man U) or are just plain sports washing exercises (which seem to all pass the EPL’s fit persons test).

It makes me proud that we have a local owners, who love our club. But although they are wealthy, I think they are finding it more difficult to make progress than they thought. We all just need to be patient. Too many owners at other clubs spend too much unwisely and bankrupt their club and often themselves.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
March 1968. FA cup. Got beat 2-0, hooked ever since!
I thought that there was a million packed into Goodison that afternoon!

Thehe truth is, they are not good at the moment, however a few good results could change things and I don't think they will go to down, and I don't believe the other team will qualify for European champions league.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Same as last season, they are very poor with a poor manager but wont go down. Lampard won't last much longer

Player
Manager
John King
Same as last season, they are very poor with a poor manager but wont go down. Lampard won't last much longer
I think there are better teams around them this season and they don't have a goalscorer, unlike last year when they had Richarlison.

drwhoman

March 1968. FA cup. Got beat 2-0, hooked ever since!
I thought that there was a million packed into Goodison that afternoon!

Thehe truth is, they are not good at the moment, however a few good results could change things and I don't think they will go to down, and I don't believe the other team will qualify for European champions league.
I was at that game. If memory serves me correctly, we were short of strikers due to injury and that hard but limited midfielder Gerry Casey was up front. We battled but quality told. I think a young Joe Royal scored?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I was at that game. If memory serves me correctly, we were short of strikers due to injury and that hard but limited midfielder Gerry Casey was up front. We battled but quality told. I think a young Joe Royal scored?
Indeed, your memory is correct. I was there too. When the draw was made, I was confident. We had beaten Coventry in the previous round and were in good form. In George Yardley, we had the leading goalscorer in all four divisions. Unfortunately, George suffered a horrendous injury a few days before the match. A high tackle In a league game cost him a kidney and nearly ended his career. We had no replacement as so brought in Gerry Casey, a very hard but limited player whose main claim to fame was being sent off on his football league debut. Under the circumstances, a 2-0 defeat was a very good performance.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think they’ll drop. They cannot score goals due to their awful options up front.

drwhoman

Indeed, your memory is correct. I was there too. When the draw was made, I was confident. We had beaten Coventry in the previous round and were in good form. In George Yardley, we had the leading goalscorer in all four divisions. Unfortunately, George suffered a horrendous injury a few days before the match. A high tackle In a league game cost him a kidney and nearly ended his career. We had no replacement as so brought in Gerry Casey, a very hard but limited player whose main claim to fame was being sent off on his football league debut. Under the circumstances, a 2-0 defeat was a very good performance.
Alf Wood of Shrewsbury was the Yardley villain!

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
to be honest, all I can remember is the excitement, the smoke, the huge crowd and of course the noise.
The only other thing was pre match and at the Park End, there was a guy with a tall hat who conducted the singing.
Yes, from basic knowledge Joe Royle did score along with a certain Johnny Morrissey.....

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think they’ll drop. They cannot score goals due to their awful options up front.
Rumoured to have had a bid turned down for Danny Ings so looks like trying to strengthen

Player
Manager
John King
Rumoured to have had a bid turned down for Danny Ings so looks like trying to strengthen
They are still struggling to comply with FFP, so their options will probably be more limited than the teams they are competing against.

drwhoman

to be honest, all I can remember is the excitement, the smoke, the huge crowd and of course the noise.
The only other thing was pre match and at the Park End, there was a guy with a tall hat who conducted the singing.
Yes, from basic knowledge Joe Royle did score along with a certain Johnny Morrissey.....
The guy in the tall hat was not me! (LOL!).