• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
I’m actually pretty confident in the sense that we’ve filled every position I predicted weeks ago & now the focal point is obviously a striker which I actually think will become two by hook or by crook. Clearly the Ferrier debacle is thankfully out of our hands & from what I’ve read Rowe is a non starter so we’re hanging back as late as possible to bring in the best available on current budget I suspect. As MM says, the players are putting in the equivalent of many K runs prior to the friendlies to bring them up to match speed which sounds far more professional than last season. I do share RLC’s concerns about Nixon, LFC seem to have enough goalkeeping issues without us adding another one to the list!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Although only a rumour lord Norwood being linked with a move to Bristol rovers. God help us if he left
I can't imagine we would sell him unless we received an absolutely ludicrous offer. We have already turned down bids for Jennings and Norburn this summer.

James has a better relationship with the manager than Cooky, so I don't think he would be desperate to leave.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I can't imagine we would sell him unless we received an absolutely ludicrous offer. We have already turned down bids for Jennings and Norburn this summer.

James has a better relationship with the manager than Cooky, so I don't think he would be desperate to leave.
I agree with both comments, although I'd be amazed if James has not been offered an improved and extended contract, which he must have turned down. So, it looks like he'll be doing a Cookie and running his contract down - or at least keeping his options open for next summer. Personally, I think selling him would put us in potential trouble, as it would send out the wrong message to the team and the fans. In any case, if we can't sign one new striker, how could we hope to get two?

Player
Jonny Morrisey
I know Norburn was wanted by Shrewsbury, who was after Jennings and were there bids actually made for either??

Player
Manager
John King
I know Norburn was wanted by Shrewsbury, who was after Jennings and were there bids actually made for either??
It was reported by several sources that we had turned down bids for Norburn. Palios said as much in an interview a few weeks ago and also said League One clubs had shown interest in Jennings.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with both comments, although I'd be amazed if James has not been offered an improved and extended contract, which he must have turned down. So, it looks like he'll be doing a Cookie and running his contract down - or at least keeping his options open for next summer.
It is far too early to assume that. The last time he signed a contract was in mid-season and discussions could continue for the next few months.

I think Norwood is a completely different character to Cook, who has generally spent two years at a club and then moved on. Norwood seems to favour continuity and has only really played for us and FGR.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It is far too early to assume that. The last time he signed a contract was in mid-season and discussions could continue for the next few months.

I think Norwood is a completely different character to Cook, who has generally spent two years at a club and then moved on. Norwood seems to favour continuity and has only really played for us and FGR.
I hope you are right and I am wrong.

Player
aldo
Lets hope nors gets the contract he deserves . He works so hard ive never seen a player work so hard. He runs himself into the ground game after game scores regularly . Opposition fan's hate him but he is ares and we should do everything to keep him build the team around him . I. Love lord noors . Now with less than 2 weeks to the transfer window . We need to get the forward sorted . We all know he misse loads of chances but he scored 3 of the most important goals of are history and got us promoted . Enough said

Player
aldo
we know mullins is supposed to have a good work rate if we cant get another forward in we need to get connor up there he is as hard a worker as noors . and can score . but he needs to be 15/20 a year player not a 8/10 one

Player
Manager
John King
Apparently Mellon has just said that we will be signing one, if not two, strikers next week.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Apparently Mellon has just said that we will be signing one, if not two, strikers next week.
Encouraging, though a shame that these signings couldn't be completed in time for participation in pre-season... unless today's triallist is one.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sounds from his interview that the trialist may be one and there is one other.

Must be a target man type surely

drwhoman

As has been said before, some players, and, indeed clubs, have been holding off due to money issues. We definitely need someone who can score goals or this will not be an easy season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As for strikers, apparently the trialist from yesterday that Micky likes is this fella https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklyn_Akammadu

However some new rumours today suggest with the Rowe deal not happening we are turning our attention to bringing Stockton back to PP.

Some would see it as a backward step but Cole did well towards the end of his last spell. He’s no Cook of course, but can be a decent foil for Nors

Player
aldo
Well did ok for mms a manager that likes him . Could get the best out of him again ok not a cookie but we move on

Player
ian goodison
didn,t cole keep andy cook out of the team at one time ? I thought mm may have been trying to convince cole to sign a contract

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
According to wiki, Akammadu is young and relatively inexperienced. I haven't seen him in action, so don't know of his potential, but it would be unrealistic to expect him beimg more than a squad player initially. In the same vein, a bit surprised that Danny Walker-Rice, youth player who came on as sub v Solihull and scored a great goal in the Dunfermline friendly wasn't involved with the first team in any other pre-season friendly in the way other youngsters like Long, Spellman were. No personal knowledge of the current youngsters, but thought he might have been worth a further look.

If the choice is between no experienced cover for Norwood and Mullin or getting Stockton back, then it's a no brainer. However, Cole's done little since that purple patch during the second half of the previous season, which was out of character after a fairly patchy career at Rovers previously, so his return would not be without reservations.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Please not Stockton. One purple patch in 10 years!