• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Eric’s a bit of a clown to be honest and a tad self absorbed. Maybe we can pinch Achterberg from the reds.

drwhoman

George will have been under Achterberg’s tutelage. I imagine he will get another opportunity. Someone asked about Caprice and Smith. I hope they just had minor injuries.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Hopefully the season will start with an injury free squad - however big it is in terms of any other additions. I would say the need for a reliable keeper is even a priority over another striker. I do hope George is the answer, but he is young and his first team action is limited to 4 games at Carlisle and a sub appearance as a striker for Liverpool. Maybe MM is killing two birds with one stone:)

If we don't sign another striker will Waring be brought back to sit on the bench. His goal ratio at Barnsley was not bad 6 in 19 appearances. Still only young so maybe some improvement to be had?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Waring is very definitely on his way out. Does not figure in Micky's plans at all.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As expected Shamal George joins on loan from Liverpool until January.

Where that leaves Pilling remains to be seen but much will depend on the fitness of Davies. Plenty of rumours he has an injury but don’t think the club have confirmed anything.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well we can now put the Pilling discussions on hold as Shamal George signs on loan from Liverpool.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Beat me to it Sparky.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
George only played 4 games during his loan spell at Carlisle. While he may have played like Gordon Banks in the other 3, he had an exceptionally poor game v Stevenage, where he was largely at fault for the first goal and let the second slip through his fingers in a 0-2 home defeat. I would be concerned unless he has improved significantly, where he to line up as our keeper at Stevenage.

Also very poor business giving Pilling another contract if he’s that bad.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Also very poor business giving Pilling another contract if he’s that bad.
Pilling is largely one for the future and is not ready to step into the first XI yet. Argue that as you will but clearly MM doesn't think he's ready yet.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Pilling is largely one for the future and is not ready to step into the first XI yet. Argue that as you will but clearly MM doesn't think he's ready yet.
Haven't been to any pre-season games, but the view on here is Pilling's been poor. He's not going to grow any bigger, if that's the main reason for his frailty, so is he ever going to be ready?

George is about 6 months younger than Pilling, the kind of player who before the Premiership might have stayed with his local club and then been sold to the likes of Liverpool after a good grounding.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Haven't been to any pre-season games, but the view on here is Pilling's been poor. He's not going to grow any bigger, if that's the main reason for his frailty, so is he ever going to be ready?

Yes, but you can't write someone off after a couple of pre-season friendlies. I don't think his height is so much of an issue, unless he's shrunk in the last few years.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Yes, but you can't write someone off after a couple of pre-season friendlies. I don't think his height is so much of an issue, unless he's shrunk in the last few years.
The general tone on here about Pilling pre-season has been negative and his (lack of)height has been mentioned. Isn't there an element of writing him off by the manager, who's brought Liverpool's 4th/5th choice keeper in and can't even find Luke a spot on the bench?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Isn't there an element of writing him off by the manager, who's brought Liverpool's 4th/5th choice keeper in and can't even find Luke a spot on the bench?
Not really. He's not convinced he's ready yet. This was evident last season when he brought in 2nd choice Rhys from Fylde. Nothing has changed from last season. Quite when he will be ready or how long this goes on for is anyone's guess. Can't be doing much good for Pilling though.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I agree I find the whole thing baffling and the resigning of Pilling is typical of some of MM's decisions that I find so frustrating.... he wasn't considered good enough last year and now he again isn't but he was resigned even though we had Wharton already and we could always bring in an emergency loan keeper. All the more so as Matt Jones is saying Davies may even be fit enough to play Saturday. I do wonder some times....

drwhoman

Whatever the ins and outs of the goalkeeping situation we desperately need that goal scorer. Not easy I know but mid table best unless we sign one. Only Norwood is a regular goal scorer and he cannot do it all.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Pilling may have got a contract on the basis of getting in the Wales U21 squad and thinking there might be a chance of us making a few quid down the line.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Mellon can't win sometimes. He was clearly undecided about Pilling - as most of us were - but gave him an opportunity to prove himself by offering him a contract. So far he has not taken that opportunity. If he had released him in the summer he would have been castigated for that too.

Player
aldo
waring is on trial at a few clubs he will go . we need to get the forward sorted now it has to take priority

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Although only a rumour lord Norwood being linked with a move to Bristol rovers. God help us if he left