• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mackreth didn't make much impact in his second coming at Rovers, though Brabin didn't give him much game time. Seems similar when he got a contract with FL Bury. Don't think he'll be more than a useful squad player with Wrexham.

Don't recall Molyneaux being any worse than other Adams signings during the revolving door period and he's done ok in the FL since.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
rumour that the bid was for Padraig amond striker at Hartlepool, previously with Grimsby got 30 goals when they got promoted

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Isn't Amond more of a Cook style striker? If he does come in, could see Cook moving on.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Isn't Amond more of a Cook style striker? If he does come in, could see Cook moving on.
No. He is closer to a Ryan Lowe type player, a poacher not a target man. From Palios's comments last night, Cook is not going anywhere.

Player
Manager
John King
Mackreth didn't make much impact in his second coming at Rovers, though Brabin didn't give him much game time. Seems similar when he got a contract with FL Bury. Don't think he'll be more than a useful squad player with Wrexham.

Don't recall Molyneaux being any worse than other Adams signings during the revolving door period and he's done ok in the FL since.
Molyneux was similar to Myrie-Williams and the rest. Decent players that were completely unsuited to a League Two relegation battle and had terrible attitudes.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As RLC says Amond is a small goal poacher type who scored 30 goals in the national league the season before last when Grimsby went up. Potentially a good foil for cook with a little and large partnership.

This season he got 14 for a poor Hartlepool side that went down so whilst Hartlepool will let him go due to their finances, I'm sure there will be L2 clubs after him.

We're also linked with right back Christian Ribero currently at Oxford. Slightly surprised the Vaughan situation isn't resolved yet.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We're also linked with right back Christian Ribero currently at Oxford. Slightly surprised the Vaughan situation isn't resolved yet.
Vaughan apparently had 3 other offers before his leg-break. Don't know how the injury has affected potential suitors. He's also based in the midlands and commuting, so if he doesn't want to move north, from the players perspective it might make more sense taking a deal with a club closer to home.

Seen Amond play against us a couple of times, but again he didn't really register. His stats are encouraging and if he hasn't lost any pace, would be a good addition.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Echo Sparky and RLC. Good Adam's got fixed up with a new club quickly

drwhoman

I see Williams has been sold by Barrow to Rochdale for 100k. I think he scored a screamer against us after we lost a previous goal following a blatant foul on Davies?

Player
Jonny Morrisey
I see ex Rovers loanee George Green has been released by Burnley. Given Mickey's managerial skills and the fact that he may not get too many offers due to his chequered past, could he be worth a punt? He's a creative player and still young with a lot to prove....may be worth a shout???

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I see ex Rovers loanee George Green has been released by Burnley. Given Mickey's managerial skills and the fact that he may not get too many offers due to his chequered past, could he be worth a punt? He's a creative player and still young with a lot to prove....may be worth a shout???
With Tollitt, Dunn, Green and a motivated Dawson, we'd have an exciting team which would give our opponents real problems. Micky would need to think carefully about him.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Wouldn't touch Green with a bargepole. Same goes for the likes of Jose Baxter who I know is back at Everton but players like that have had their chance with us. As for Dawson, I'll be amazed if he gets a chance under MM. I've always liked him but we did well without him last season and his chequered career up to now must be a result of his attitude. MM basically admitted this last season and Adam's efforts in training apparently leave a lot to be desired. Surely we are trying to pay him off?

The number of wingers will depend on MMs system. If he was sticking with 4-4-2 then you would want more than just Tollit & Dunn to cover injuries and the fact that Ben had a serious injury and Dunn is still unproven. Then again, if we go with 5-3-2 and have wing backs then you don't need wingers. Although naturally Tollit will be in our strongest team but so probably will Connor J, Nors & Cook I'm guessing so plenty of MM to think about.

Hopefully we'll hear in the next few days but with Cole gone and Mangan past his best, MM will surely bring a striker in alongside a midfielder and possible a RB/centre half if Vaughan goes.

Player
Manager
John King
Agree completely with Sparky about Green and Dawson: we definitely don't want the former and need to offload the latter.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Dunn signs a 1 year deal. Pleased as he showed flashes of potential but still very much unproven so a 1 deal now he has left Liverpool shows he'll have to prove himself

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I note Jake Cassidy has just moved to Hartlepool. I would be surprised if we were not approached first to see if we wanted him. Could have replaced Stockton?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Stephenson leaves the club and joins Stockport on a 2 year deal. When we signed him I was pleased; he was quick, strong, and had scored close to 20 goals in national league north. He's looked a bit raw at times but to be expected and then his injury won't have helped when he was on loan at Fylde.

Given we have allowed him to leave permanently, Mickey clearly doesn't rate him (although we have a clause saying we'll get a bit of future transfer fees). He reminded me a bit of a younger version of the likes of Mensah from Aldershot who caused us such problems last season.

Surely we are negotiating with the likes of Almond & Dawson to try and offload them.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Disappointed at this, he showed some promise during his outings with Brabin and given Micky's decision to offload him to Fylde on loan, as Sparky says clearly didn't rate him. The injury meant he didn't have the chance to change minds, but I would have expected Darren to get a chance in pre-season rather than rush to judgement. It means bringing in another striker is essential.