• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Playing as a lone striker effectively requires a good conversion rate. If Rovers did go down that route again (personally think it's too negative) then Andy Cook's the man.

Norwood has delivered some good assists from out wide, in the season just gone. The previous season's performance, where he reached nineteen was at a time when he was taking and scoring penalties. If we do play with two up front, most likely to be Cook and Norwood.

Don't think Kay would be a good addition to the squad at this point in his career.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I was not suggesting we should play norwood as a lone striker in future. Cook does not have the mobility to play the role, unlike norwood.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with RLC that Nors best season was under Brabin when he got 19 I think playing by himself. Although as Boz points out, a lot of these were penalties, but they all count, and he was so cool and won us so many games that season when you couldn't see who else might score. Now with the likes of Connor, Cookie & a fit Tollit, we have a real goal threat shared out.

I couldn't see Cook playing a loan striker role and whilst the Cook/Nors partnership isn't perfect, most clubs at our level would love to have it. We need though to have the best players, to give ourselves the best chance of winning the league so personally if I were MM, I'd still be looking for another poacher type player e.g. Lowe, Greenacre, even Aldo type (of which recently linked Amond would fit the bill), to partner cookie in a little and large front 2. Where Nors would fit in remains to be seen although as I say, Nors & Cook at this level are a decent front 2 so I would only go out and get someone if it was an improvement on what we have already. We have a back up in Mangan and Connor J can play up top if necessary. If another front man comes in I am sure it'll only be to improve what we have.

Re: Kay. Just a rumour of course but gives us something to talk about! He was playing in L1 last season so I'm sure L2 clubs would fancy him.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Kay wouldn't fit well at the back alongside McNulty, so I'd imagine some kind of midfield role. He'd do well in midfield as long as you have some runners in there.

Wallace was doing OK in the run up before he got injured.. again.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I was not suggesting we should play norwood as a lone striker in future. Cook does not have the mobility to play the role, unlike norwood.
But does Norwood have the finishing ability? You can be as mobile as anything, but if you miss 75% of the one on ones, then not ideally deployed as a lone striker.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As much as I'm a fan of Norwood, I still can't help thinking of that one on one he missed at Wembley which would have put us 2-1 up. Surely they have worked in training on such things.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think his head goes when he has time to think about where to put the ball. To be fair he has missed some cracking chances. That would put his figures up into the 20's every season and probably wouldn't be playing non-league football. You have to remember, these guys aren't perfect and are playing non-league for a reason.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
When have I ever claimed he isn't ? And what is the relevance of that to this argument ?
I'm glad we agree on something. Thought this discussion was about our striking options and my concern is that having no alternative to Norwood is a risky approach.

drwhoman

Norwood is not alone on one on ones. Raheem Sterling is a classic. Still the point made previously that he would be playing at a higher level but for this is a valid point. Interesting that he does not usually have the same issues with penalties. Maybe his thought processes have time to settle.

Player
Manager
John King
Amond would be a great signing. Dagenham signed Michael cheek today and seem to be building a strong squad. Probably our biggest rivals for the title next season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes plus Hartlepool along with Cassidy signed ex rover loanee Ryan Donaldson who is decent.

Will be an interesting season.

Player
Manager
John King
Hartlepool have also signed jack munns, who is excellent. If they also keep hold of amond they could be a threat.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd agree that Dagenham have made some good signings, while holding onto key players. Aldershot have retained their key players and will be in contention.

Hartlepool's prospects are hard to assess, because they have a manager with no experience of the NL. Some of their signings look good for this league. Should the Wiki page be true, (I have my doubts) then it would weaken their side as well as bolstering Rovers.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The trouble with Wikipedia is that anyone can update it - even you and me. We can put what we want and it will stay there until it is corrected (if it is). However, Wikipedia is usually very reliable, so it is either somebody in the know jumping the gun, some wishful thinking or a bit of mischief. I expect the latter as there are no details about the move to PP.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It's early days, but already the bookies make us clear favourites with our odds both for the championship and promotion less than half of our nearest rival, Dag & Red. Other predicted contenders are Hartlepool, Aldershot and Eastleigh.