• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought he had potential although quite raw. Maybe MM hasn't got time to be experimenting with raw players and just wants those that can come in and do a job as yet again we are desperate for that top spot next season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I was not totally convinced by him and never thought he looked an out-and-out centre forward, more of a pacy winger / striker. Not particularly disappointed or surprised but we will probably need to bring another forward in now.

There are only so many places in the squad and only so much money to be spent on it, and Mellon obviously thinks he can do better.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
was more a winger than striker on the odd time I saw him play for us, didn't seem up to much im sure we can get better players in than him

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I suspect he went on a free transfer with a sell-on clause in case he found his potential and kicked on. It's probably the best deal for all three parties. I wish him better luck than he had at PP.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We paid a fee for Darren Stephenson, so not really good business, if we've let him go on a free, even with a sell on clause.

Given Mangan's lack of form and Norwood's poor
finishing last season, I don't think we've got enough options up front at present. Still ample time to bring someone in though.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
No, not a bargain looking back, but there is no point in paying another year's wages for nothing. And if Micky really doesn't rate Louis either, let's hope we cut our losses on him too.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought Almond had gone last season or did we just ship him out on loan?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Almond still on our books, he was loaned out back to Southport for a few months.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
OK, thanks Boz.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Almond still on our books, he was loaned out back to Southport for a few months.
He must have had a decent pay rise when moving from Southport, so they could not afford to take him back permanently especially now they have been relegated. There's no point having him around if we don't intend to play him, so we'll have to pay up his contract, I expect.

Player
Manager
John King
We paid a fee for Darren Stephenson, so not really good business, if we've let him go on a free, even with a sell on clause.

Given Mangan's lack of form and Norwood's poor
finishing last season, I don't think we've got enough options up front at present. Still ample time to bring someone in though.

Norwood did well in the second half of the season when he played regularly. If he is a regular starter he will score goals. He has never been good at one-on-ones, but that is a different matter.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Norwood did well in the second half of the season when he played regularly. If he is a regular starter he will score goals. He has never been good at one-on-ones, but that is a different matter.
Norwood only scored a handful of goals in the second half of the season though. Work-rate good, finishing less so and not just one-on-ones. Don't mind him being first choice, but there needs to be another forward option if he's not firing again.

Player
Manager
John King
He scored fourteen, not a 'handful'. Very respectable given the number of games he missed and he will get fifteen to twenty again next season. Have not checked the stats, but he was averaging one in two in the last few months of the season. He is a good centre forward.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
He had a purple spell in the last few matches, getting 5 goals but before that you have to go back to the Chester win at the start of March.. Cook has a much better conversion rate. I tend to share the view of the Forest Green fans, that Norwood is actually better deployed out wide.

Player
Manager
John King
There is no way he is better out wide. His best position is probably as a lone striker, where he scored nineteen the season before last. However, he is a good foil for cook and a key player for us.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Either way I think we definately need another striker. I still think personally Mangan would score at this level if played regularly up front but he'll always be behind Cook and Nors in the pecking order and playing him wide isn't ideal. Wouldn't surprise me if Mangan moved on as he'll want to be playing at this stage of his career.

I'm sure we will bring in a front man shortly and would be pleased with Amond who we've been linked with.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Antony Kay linked with a rovers return I see. 34 years of age

Player
Manager
John King
I have not seen him play for ages so it is difficult to make a judgement, but I would have thought we needed some younger legs at the back.

Obviously a very good player in his day, but I don't know if that day has passed.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I knew there was something missing from the yearly pre-season transfer rumours! Links to ex-rovers.

Anyway, regarding Norwood, whilst incredibly frustrating missing a handful of 1on1s last season, his work rate and amount of goals make him one of our most important players. Remember the amount he scored the season before.

He never seemed right after the penalty fiasco with Cook but came good in the last few months. I expect him to better his goal tally this season.

Playing him out wide is a complete waste.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
He was a good player when he left but never very quick. Where would he play? Surely too slow for midfield or to play alongside McNulty. Possibly in front of the back four, but I'm not convinced. We need Ben Gibson back!