• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Gutted for Luke Pilling. Says something that MM thinks Fylde's reserve keeper is better than ours.
Yeah. I had my doubts but Micky certainly doesn't seem confident in Pilling's ability at all. Odd move..

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
He did have a chance to impress at Solihull as far as I recall. Wasn't at the game so no idea how well he played.
I didn’t go either, but it sounded like a game where the regulars couldn’t be bothered, so can hardly judge Pilling on that.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Danny Holmes is 29 today.
He's been around our club for donkeys years and I didn't know he was only 29.
I'd have him on my teasheet for next game!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the Pilling / Taylor dilemma is a difficult one for the manager and I don't know what the correct decision would be. However, I certainly won't condemn Mellon for wanting to play an experienced keeper at this crucial time.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If he wants experience between the sticks, look no further than Nixon! Probably a bit too experienced now.. o_O

Player
Manager
John King
If he wants experience between the sticks, look no further than Nixon! Probably a bit too experienced now.. o_O
You would have to get the obligatory cup of coffee out of his hand first.:)

Still not sure what Nixon brings to the party.

drwhoman

I see that Alabi will not be back this season. What a dud signing that was. Our recruitment policy has, with the exception of Norburn, has been awful in recent times. Who is meant to be advising Palios and Mellon on this?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There are various rumours as to who was responsible for summer recruitment. I don’t think Alabi, played to his strengths was a terrible signing, he could still help Dover into the play-offs.

Meanwhile, it is suggested that Wigan have made an offer for Eddie Clarke...

Player
Manager
John King
Alabi has not done anything at Dover to suggest he was good enough for us.

I will be gutted if we lose Clarke after only a handful of games. However, Banks is apparently available for transfer from Oldham, so perhaps any funds we get for Eddie could be used to bring him and DMH back ?

In reality, I don't want Clarke to be sold at this stage.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I see that Alabi will not be back this season. What a dud signing that was. Our recruitment policy has, with the exception of Norburn, has been awful in recent times. Who is meant to be advising Palios and Mellon on this?
Alabi was never good enough, you could see this after the first few games.

Losing Clarke would be a blow although I would much prefer Banks, DMH and Ridehalgh back in the side if that was the trade off. So difficult to keep hold of decent players at this level.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Is Alabi staying at Dover till the end of the season then? That's a surprise given he's been warming the bench of late.

To add to the rumour mill, Connor Jennings linked with Bury

Player
Manager
John King
Is Alabi staying at Dover till the end of the season then? That's a surprise given he's been warming the bench of late.
Yes, the club confirmed it today. I think it is a good deal for us, as we can definitely use the money better elsewhere.

I doubt the Bury rumour is true. They have got massive financial problems at the moment.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Dover are notionally part-time. It would be a surprise if Rovers were not making a contribution to his wages and it would be interesting to know, not that we’ll ever find out, how much money we are actually saving with Alabi out on loan.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Eddie Clarke will be leaving sooner or later. His contract runs out in June. So it makes sense to cash in on him. The ideal scenario would be for us to get a decent, performance related fee now but for us to loan him back until the end of the season.

Player
Manager
John King
Dover are notionally part-time. It would be a surprise if Rovers were not making a contribution to his wages and it would be interesting to know, not that we’ll ever find out, how much money we are actually saving with Alabi out on loan.
Dover are quite heavily bankrolled. It is no coincidence that Alabi and Mangan went to Dover and Fylde, two of the smaller clubs that are heavily backed financially. Few other clubs at this level could have afforded them.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If the Clarke rumours are true it’s crazy really. The guy has literally played a handful of games for us..

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Dover are quite heavily bankrolled. It is no coincidence that Alabi and Mangan went to Dover and Fylde, two of the smaller clubs that are heavily backed financially. Few other clubs at this level could have afforded them.
It would be good if Dover were fully meeting the wage bill for Alabi. Don’t think they’re bankrolled to the extent of a Fylde or Eastleigh though.

Player
aldo
I think if im right that jones is head of recruitment and scouting . If so i can see him going in summer with the money spent on green to appart from norburn the summer signings have been a shambles . It should be mm doing it . As he is the one who has to work with him. Will be a shame if clark goes . But most of the team are out of contract in the summer . . So could be a big change if things go wrong would like to keep nors if he could start scoring more . Cook we could do with keeping him but he needs to work harder and score more . If clark goes can see banks coming in . Tollitt must be back soon cant be long just need to manage him properly and dont put to mutch pressure on him . we need him fit .

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I dont quite understand the negative comments about Cook. He's had a few quiet games, doesn't every striker? Seems one minute we are lambasting Mellon for not playing him, now after a few games we are getting on his back.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ian you are spot on about Cook. When he scored over 25 goals for Barrow a few years ago he hardly moved in any match! He's had more running to do under Micky than ever and is probably in the best shape of his life! He is a target man mainly so needs service - how often do our wingers get to the byline and put decent crosses in? Our lack of width has been a problem for most of the season so Cook will naturally suffer - he's not like Norwood who will create his own chances etc. I think he does work hard in the main but gets very little service that play to his strengths. Even our corners at times when Hughes was on them were poor and Cook is a real threat when the delivery is right.

If Clarke does go this will be disappointing, especially if he languishes in Wigan's reserves - although there are rumours he would come back to us on loan till the end of the season. What annoys me is the contract situation - shouldn't we be trying to tie down our decent prospects? I know its hard these days to know how decent young players will develop but Eddie has had a good reputation for a while - shouldn't he have been on a longer deal?

When you think of the money wasted on Alabi, Dawson, Wallace, McEveley, Dunn to name a few, its sad to see we haven't tied down our good young players. Pilling is the same - I was amazed he was out of contract last summer and although he signed a new 1 year deal, will surely leave this year. Wasn't it known he was a decent prospect some time ago?