• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Losing DMH is a major blow. Since he arrived the confidence of the whole squad has lifted immeasurably, particularly the strikers, and that improved form may carry over in his absence. However, we still need some genuine width and pace on that side. It will be interesting to see how MM responds.

Player
Manager
John King
I think we should use Cole in that role initially, pending any possible replacement for DMH. I think he is the most likely to give us creativity on that side. Kirby can do a functional job there when he is match fit, but Tollitt probably won't be the player we need him to be any time this season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
When Cole joined, the impression given was that he was a winger, but on what I’ve seen to date, not sure that’s an accurate description. He’s a talented individual, so probably the best to try wide right, initially. Unsure he’d have the defensive side of his game to operate as an effective wing-back though.

Player
Manager
John King
In the absence of DMH we have to scrap the wing backs. We just have not got the players to play that system; neither Buxton or Duggan are good enough in that role and Cole certainly could not cope with the defensive side.

I think it is important we don't end up with square pegs in round holes as in the first few weeks of the season, even if it means using someone underwhelming as a right winger, such as Kirby or Dunn. The balance of the side is really important.

In a 442 I think Cole would do a decent job out there.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree RLC that balance is crucial. It's going to be a real shame to disturb it when DMH goes as we're in excellent form with the current setup. Inevitable but equally annoying when a loan signing turns into a success. I'd like to see Cole in his place. Failing that, I think MM needs to look elsewhere as the usual suspects just aren't up to the job I'm afraid.

Player
aldo
shame he was a super player . but we have to move on . can clark play in his roll has the speed and can cross a ball . if I'm right he has done it for the youth teams when needed . but its not all down to dhm . banks and Ollie have to take huge credit to the middle of the park seems loads better . and the front two are playing well and scoring at last as well is the super jennings

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Some head scratching for Micky to do in the transfer window. What do we do with all these strikers coming back? Do we extend the contract of Cole? Do we bring in more wingers? Mangan may go to Oldham and waring scored for Halifax yesterday so they may keep him until the end of the season

A big dilemma is the keeper. Admittedly I haven't seen much of Pilling until yesterday and he didn't fill me with confidence albeit difficult circumstances to come on.

One problem if we play him, do we have Wharton as our number 2 keeper? Is it a risk having 2 inexperienced (and small) keepers? But if we being an experienced keeper in, will he be happy warming the bench?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Are all the strikers coming back, very mixed messages on that one. Personally I’d send McDonagh back when his loan ends and recall Waring. If Mangan going to Oldham helps us get Banks, on balance a good deal. We’re not set up to play to Alabi’s strengths, so he may be better out on loan. Wouldn’t object to extending Cole’s deal, as he can offer something different, but only if we bring someone in to fill the wide right slot.

Regarding the goalkeeping situation, Pilling needs a proper chance. This season, he’s played in a team who couldn’t be arsed at Solihull and coming on when we were 3-0 down at Fylde. If having been given some game time there are major issues, then the situation will need to be re-assessed.

Player
Manager
John King
I think the goalkeeping situation is very tricky and I don't envy Mellon. It is easy to say give Pilling a chance, but if he struggled badly for three or four games it could really set us back, even end the season. He has got potential but we don't know how he would cope with the pressure of playing every match and there are areas of his game that are very weak at the moment, like his kicking.

Regarding the forwards, i think it all depends on the finances. As Boz suggests, I would prefer to have Waring, or even Alabi, on the bench rather than McDonagh but I have no idea if that is possible financially. If we continue to score goals in the weeks ahead the two I have mentioned might be different players if they come back into a team full of confidence, rather than one that is struggling, as in the early part of the season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree that the goalkeeping situation is not easy to resolve. Pilling played well in keeping a clean sheet at Maidstone behind young defenders who he was familiar with. You would hope that our more experienced defensive regulars would be capable of offering him some protection and help building his confidence, were he to start the next game(s). What options are there in terms of getting another keeper in? If there was a suitably experienced keeper available, might be worth bringing in, but I don't see any merit in borrowing someone else's youngster, until we've properly tested our own.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky and Palios may be having some interesting discussions about the budget.

It's clear we need more width but if we need a decent keeper then wages are required for that. Yes we're not paying for DMH anymore so it'll depend on the 3 strikers out on loan as I can't see anyone else leaving. Best bet is mangan goes to Oldham and waring stays at Halifax as he scored yesterday. Alabi returns but McDonough goes back so hopefully we'll have some cash for a Pacey winger and possibly a keeper. On the one hand I agree with boz that now is the time to give Luke a chance but on the other, we've done so well to get for this point with recent wins, we need to do as much as we can to get over yesterday's result as quick as we can and is it a time for blooding youngsters?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Looking back over the excellent wins of late, Davies played a large part in these wins with some good saves which largely go unnoticed when you win.

As protective as the defence is, the keeper will still get tested. I just don’t know if playing him at this crucial stage of the season is the correct thing to do. I’d much rather have an experienced pro in there for a few weeks.

I understand youve got to blood the youngsters eventually but I just don’t think it’s the right time.

Worst case scenario is Pilling let’s in a handful of goals, we lose ground on the chasing pack, confidence plummets as a result and Pillings the fall guy.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It's a tough one. Don't forget pilling did well at the Toulon tournament and L1 clubs were after him in the summer so he must have something about him.

As Boz says, it's crucial the likes of Big Mac and Sutton give him some protection and remember he's nothing like Davies in terms of experience.

Player
Manager
John King
Pilling is a real talent from the games I have seen. However, he probably is not at the same stage of development as Clarke for example, and as a goalkeeper you are exposed like no other position in the team.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Pilling has arguably had much more experience than Clarke with his regular appearances with Wales U21s. However, I agree that any error from a keeper stands out a mile, compared to an outfield player.

Has there been anything definitive on Scott Davies' injury? Depending on what it is, he might be out for the rest of the season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
All Mickey said was that it was a ruptured groin. I'm no doctor but I think the severity of these can range from weeks to at least 3/4 months.

Although not confirmed by Mickey, some suggestions have been made on other sites that Davies had the injury already and had been playing with a strain for a while. I doubt this is the case and suspect he just had a nightmare half an hour or so as he was poor for the first 2 goals at least IMO

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
You had me shocked for a minute their AM but it's actually Omar Bugiel from forest green, not ex Wigan man Bogle who is at Cardiff I think.

Plenty of transfer activity in the national league at the moment. Orient signing ex Cheltenham forward dan Holman who is decent at this level