• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Talk of Rovers bringing in Fylde reserve keeper Rhys Taylor...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ollie Banks apparently recalled by Oldham.

drwhoman

Shame to lose Banks but Hughes is decent and Ollie is probably be relieved that he will no longer have his ear bent by Andy Cook!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hughes is much slower than Banks and while I dislike the monopolising of set pieces by one player, Ollie offers more variety at corners and free-kicks.

Wonder if this means Oldham have got an offer for Banks from elsewhere. They don't seem short of midfielders.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A massive loss. Banks is our most creative player and Hughes won't replace him. We have lost probably our two most creative players in banks and dmh. Interesting to see how we respond to this.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Can't compare Hughes with banks as the latter is miles better. Losing Scottie and now this is a massive blow.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
An opportunity for Harris to come back in perhaps but a massive loss.

Not exactly linked but you do wonder if we weren't paying wages on the likes of Alabi, waring, and Wallace we'd have more money in the pot.

Banks contract is up apparently at the end of the season so the Latics may want to cash in before then.

Player
Manager
John King
At least Cook, Norwood and Jennings are now confident and scoring goals, which they were not in the early weeks of the season. Plus we still have Norburn's creativity and Clarke has given us an extra dimension with his pace.

All is not lost, but our poor recruitment in the summer has come back to bite us again.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
If Banks is leaving then this a significant setback. I honestly believe he has been more influential than DMH in the transformation we have seen in the side in recent weeks. As to likely replacements from within the current squad, I think I would opt for Harris for the extra bite he brings to the midfield and trust that Norburn can add to the loss of creativity brought about by Banks leaving. Another possibility might be the recall of Kirby in an attacking midfield role.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I am sure we could get Banks if he wanted to join us and we had the money for his wages and a small fee. So maybe he's had a better offer or we can't afford him. However, don't give up hope yet. Sometimes players return to their clubs from loan only to be transferred back soon after. I seem to remember that's what happened with Ridehalgh.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I hope you're right BBTC! Like you say RLC, it'll be interesting to see what MM does now, as I suppose we knew this time would come. Not that we might have much choice, but if we revert back to the likes of Kirby, we are taking a step back as we've been here many times before. Kirby isn't a player that will improve the squad.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don’t see Kirby as a central midfield player, but think he’d do a better job than Cole wide right or could fill a back-up striker role, so a useful squad player to have.

Mitch Duggan might be another option, it was reported here that he played very well the one time he was deployed in a central midfield role this season. Don’t know if over his hamstring injury.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Devarn Green loaned to Warrington. Has made little impact here so far, but we paid for him, can't help wonder why we didn't get Jordan Archer from Stourbridge instead.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Archer has fallen out of favour at Chester and looked out of his depth. I guess we've signed potential when u think of Green and Rokka, but I'd rather we concentrated on putting everything into the first team squad.

Player
Manager
John King
Archer has not even been getting in the chester team recently. No official confirmation that banks has gone, so are we sure he actually has ?

Player
Manager
John King
Now just seen his tweet where he confirms he has gone. I would start with Harris.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Banks tweet didn’t seem to hint at any return, so maybe something else lined up.

Archer has been injured lately. Scored on debut for Chester and could he have been any worse than Green, who looks underwhelming?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rhys Taylor confirmed as signing on loan until the end of the season. Good experience although couldn't get in fyldes team.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Rhys Taylor confirmed as signing on loan until the end of the season. Good experience although couldn't get in fyldes team.
Gutted for Luke Pilling. Says something that MM thinks Fylde's reserve keeper is better than ours.

Reactions: Boz
M

Mal

He did have a chance to impress at Solihull as far as I recall. Wasn't at the game so no idea how well he played.