• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Great Escape

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Gillingham - 18
Carlisle - 17
Brighton - 17
Stockport - 14
Southampton(-10) - 13
Wycombe - 11
Tranmere - 10
it's now beyond them, and in many places that would be right.. but no,

This is a team called Tranmere, who somehow put performances together

SUPER WHITE ARMY

SUPER WHITE ARMY SUPER WHITE ARMY

SUPER WHITE ARMY

Player
Goodison
We need a ferocious atmosphere at Prenton Park if we're going to stay up. What we don't have in ability we need to make up through intimidation, yes crowds are low but you can get a cracking atmoshpere at Prenton Park with only 4500/5000 - Leicester and Colchester last season spring to mind.

DixieDean

we're on our way back to the fourth tier.
Unfortunately we are no better than that.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
No. That's not acceptable.

Some of the players that took us to 7th last season are still here. In terms of income we're not one of the bottom 4 clubs in this league.

They're the facts.

More objectivley, I'd speculate that, in terms of personell, we have quite an 'average' set of L1 players, but with no manager to guide them to an 'average' league position, things are pretty tough.

As far as escapes go, clawing back a 7 point defecit over 29 games wouldn't quite register as "great" to me - 5 games to go, yeah, I'll worry then.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We should all be worried. The simple fact is that we are the divisions worst team. Rock bottom with an appalling goal difference and not a league win in sight. But NBDH is right when he says the only way is up, you can't drop lower than the bottom! Well, until we get relegated..

I now know why it's taking PJ so long to find a manager. Miracle workers are hard to find!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
i would see we look doomed to relegation, southampton will be nowere near the bottom 4 by the end of the season.
The fact that our budget is not in the bottom 4 in the league doesnt matter as scunthorpes budget was small but they went up

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The more I look at the league table, the more ill I feel. It's a pathetic mess. 7 points adrift already.. I only hope we win on Tues.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I still think its too early to say we're doomed but its pretty serious. Obvious to say but we need a manager !! Fair play to Les but results show he hasn't got it right.

Rumour has it Mike Newell is to be appointed who was sacked from Grimsby a few wks ago but previously did well with Luton/Hartlepool. Would be relatively happy with him.

Effectivley 8 points from safety due to our awful goal difference. Still time to claw it back.

Seems a long time ago those great nights last season beating Leicester who hadn't lost for over 20 games and that great win against Leeds.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
i would see we look doomed to relegation, southampton will be nowere near the bottom 4 by the end of the season.
The fact that our budget is not in the bottom 4 in the league doesnt matter as scunthorpes budget was small but they went up

It matters hugely and is the sole thing our expectations should be based upon

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
if that was just the case newcastle would be in the prem scunthorpe in league 1 etc.
A lare portion of the money has been wasted mahon hasnt been fully fit in a long time mclaren is passed it and weve got 7 strikers on the books most of which cannot score.

Player
steve coppell
Time for us, and of course Les, to get the calculators out - we need a total of 50 points to stay up, roughly. We have 10 points, so we need around 40 more and we've got 29 games left....basically it's going to be very hard, but not impossible.
I would go with the philosophy of targeting 12 more victories and a handful (5 or 6) draws.... home wins v southend, brentford, carlisle, yeovil, oldham, orient, hartlepool, wycombe and exeter are all essential and will bring in 27 pts. I believe we can do a smash-and grab at gillingham, walsall and brentford, as most seasons we don't travel well, though that would be 9 more valuable points....so 36 gathered from the required 40...surely draws at prenton v Bristol Rovers, and millwall, and away to brighton and on the final day stockport might see us home, fingers crossed.

Alternatively, if lose we must treat the next game almost like a cup game and win...that's asking an awful lot, but would get us around 45 points and safety.
I hope this helps....

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm just praying for a good cup run (or at least beating Aldershot and drawing a top premier league team in round three). it would bring in some money before the January transfer window closes.

DixieDean

If we did get money in from a BIG match I can't see PJ spending it on anything other than the overdraft.

I think we're going to be changing the Rockford Files to the Status Quo classic, Down Down Deeper and Down.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we're going to be changing the Rockford Files to the Status Quo classic, Down Down Deeper and Down.

Ha - I shouldn't laugh really. We could change it to 'the only way is up' as we sit rooted to the bottom.

DixieDean

Ha - I shouldn't laugh really..

Well, it's either laugh or cry....

Personally I think it's laughable the state we are in. I don't know what's funnier though, the fact that we appointed Barnes in the first place or the fact that the physio has been in charge for so long! :-k

Player
steve coppell
2-0 now against Southend after 72 mins ...time to break open a very small bottle of pop - 11 more wins and a few draws before the end of the season please Rovers....

TRFC_Ian

Player
Aldo
THE GREAT ESCAPE IS ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Well not really - Southampton won, Wycombe won - but at least we didn't lose MORE ground on them)

A vital win.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
if that was just the case newcastle would be in the prem scunthorpe in league 1 etc.
A lare portion of the money has been wasted mahon hasnt been fully fit in a long time mclaren is passed it and weve got 7 strikers on the books most of which cannot score.

By what standards are your expectations for the club defined, then? If not by relative financial clout

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
a manager who can organise a team who makes us competative like under moore and a decent youth system, i know we punched above our weight last season but this season has been so poor so far its untrue.
obviously money can help but its not just that as various teams thoughout all the leagues have proven.