• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Stockport v Rovers

Match result

• Stockport

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stockport v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Edgeley Park
Saturday, February 4, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 4, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Going on the two wrongs principle, I'm not convinced that unfair criticism of Doohan is remedied by being over critical of Hewelt too.
I agree. Hewelt was not wholly to blame for the errors on Saturday, but he was partly to blame so it would be good to see that acknowledged in certain quarters.

Your other point re. Turnbull and Hewelt actually corroborates my earlier comment regarding lack of experience. An experienced keeper like Joe Murphy would simply have waved the defenders up the pitch in that situation, so Hewelt's inexperience played a part in the third goal.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Two negatives here, Hewelt's confidence is potentially weak now and the great informed heckler will doubtless be on hand to weaken it further. Moreover the criticism of Doohan was strongly evidenced, he was an excellent sell, but the fact the current keeper was below him in the pecking order and was in non-league doesn't suggest a great upside.
Time will tell but my money is on the No 1 summer need will be a No 1

Reactions: ADD

ADD

Player
Norwood
He did not have enough time with an opposition striker on the edge of the eighteen yard box. Perhaps Edison and John Stones can play out in that situation, but League Two players can't

If you had watched the replay rather than simply reassert your opinion is once again correct and anyone else be it me, Ian etc. who diasagrees with you is wrong you would see that there was plenty enough time. The No. 20 went wide at first to cover the pass to Cogley and was still outside the area at that point so giving Turnbull tons of time and space. The issue was that Turnbull pushed it out far too far ahead of him and with far too casual approach when he advanced with the ball. Only then did the No. 20 change tack and try and intercept which he was able to do due to Turnbull's failing - nothing more.

As to Hewelt getting a free pass and Doohan always getting criticised far from it. I and others expressly said he needed to be stronger for their second goal be that jumping earlier or given he was always likely to lose an aerial heading battle against a forward accept the indirect free kick by handling it. Whether it was Doohan or Hewelt however the fact was the back pass by Cogley for their 2nd was absolutely a shocking one and no keeper should expect to be put in that position at this level.

As to Doohan, Dollar'sbloke is spot on. The fact we were able to sell Doohan for a presumably decent fee who was supposedly one of our higher wage earners is a great piece of business by MP and probably allowed us to bring in at least one of the new recruits.

Player
Manager
John King
If you had watched the replay rather than simply reassert your opinion is once again correct and anyone else be it me, Ian etc. who diasagrees with you is wrong you would see that there was plenty enough time. The No. 20 went wide at first to cover the pass to Cogley and was still outside the area at that point so giving Turnbull tons of time and space. The issue was that Turnbull pushed it out far too far ahead of him and with far too casual approach when he advanced with the ball. Only then did the No. 20 change tack and try and intercept which he was able to do due to Turnbull's failing - nothing more.

As to Hewelt getting a free pass and Doohan always getting criticised far from it. I and others expressly said he needed to be stronger for their second goal be that jumping earlier or given he was always likely to lose an aerial heading battle against a forward accept the indirect free kick by handling it. Whether it was Doohan or Hewelt however the fact was the back pass by Cogley for their 2nd was absolutely a shocking one and no keeper should expect to be put in that position at this level.

As to Doohan, Dollar'sbloke is spot on. The fact we were able to sell Doohan for a presumably decent fee who was supposedly one of our higher wage earners is a great piece of business by MP and probably allowed us to bring in at least one of the new recruits.
Turnbull did not have time. A League Two defender does not have the quality on the ball to deal with a situation like that. I repeat. If he was just expected to boot it long, why did Hewelt give him the ball in the first place ? Turnbull's first touch was crap because he is a fourth tier defender whose first touches are often crap, which is why we should not be playing out from the six yard box when there is a striker on the edge of the box.

It is good to see you are still as blinkered in your view of the relative merits of Doohan and Hewelt, despite recent events showing they are of roughly comparable standard.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King

And for your information I have watched the replay, as well as seeing the incident in person. And posters such as Sparky and myself are not obliged to defer to you as some kind of sage.

Last edited:
Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Personal frustrations are understandable and we obviously don’t and shouldn’t have to agree all the time (nobody wants that!), but It’s a shame it has to get personal when there’s conflicting views; nothing wrong with a good old debate mind you, without the pointed insults, as there’s merits in everyone’s contribution, however big or small.
One thing is certain, regardless of the level of football, there were some basic and very much avoidable errors, whoever we point the finger at; Cogley and Turnbull are without doubt two of our most consistent and valuable players. Hewelt has some obvious qualities and will no doubt learn quickly and perhaps judgement should be reserved until he has a good number of games under his belt. In my opinion, the players in question are clearly better than that shown on Saturday at those key moments and any frailties are far outweighed by their positive contributions.
We go again tonight and let’s hope the conversation is a positive one later or at least fairly amicable if it does go pear-shaped.
I was planning on making the trip tonight, but then read that Boz was going, with his less than impressive away record I decided on an evening with the wife instead; lesser of two evils possibly. I’m just angling for a late ifollow subscription!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
You don't need to be a top level pro to boot a ball out the area. It takes two touches, one to control it, the second to boot it up field, it really is as simple as that. If he cannot do that at league two level, that is a worry. I still believe he had loads of time when the ball came to his feet. He was looking for the pass, took too long and then panicked (the better players dont panic) when the attacker started to charge him. Next time, just kick the bloody thing up field!