• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Stockport v Rovers

Match result

• Stockport

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stockport v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Edgeley Park
Saturday, February 4, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 4, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Hewelt probably should have done better but he shouldn't have been put in that position to begin with. It was just some very poor defending. Annoyingly, without the defensive mistakes we could have walked away with at least a point. Must be very frustrating for Micky.
For the third goal Hewelt actually put the defence in a predicament, by playing out when he should not have done.

Part of his learning experience as a keeper will be understanding when to play out and when to go long.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Maybe but the defender took four months to clear the ball. He had plenty of time and space to get rid. As an experienced defender he should have done better.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I said similar to RLC after the Walsall home game when I felt Hewelt made up Danny Johnson’s mind to instantly lob him. Doohan would have been criticised then and the same applies for yesterday.
Being a professional goalkeeper comes with the territory that mistakes often result in goals. You do wonder whether nerves played a part for him in front of a sell out crowd away from home.

Re Byrne, although challinor had worked with him he only really signed him because horsefall was injured. He’s back in training now so I’ll be surprised if Byrne isn’t dropped although DC publicly criticised Wright after the game yesterday

Player
Manager
John King
Maybe but the defender took four months to clear the ball. He had plenty of time and space to get rid. As an experienced defender he should have done better.
I don't think Turnbull did have time when he was being pressed in the six yard box. The ball should not have been passed to him in the first place.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes giving it to him in his own 6 yard box when they had a player on the edge of the box was criminal really. Hewlet needs more experience at this level but in this day and age can we afford to give keepers time to develop if results don’t go our way?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The first Stockport goal was a good goal from their perspective. A quality delivery and an aggressive header by Knoyle. It was not great defensively, but nothing like the shambles of the second and third.

It is highly unlikely Hewelt would have conceded a penalty for the second goal in a circumstance where he could not use his hands. If he had been more proactive in both instances, we might have taken something from the game.

Turnbull and JDC did not cover themselves in glory yesterday, but there is no reason why Hewelt should be immune from criticism. Doohan would have been slaughtered for those incidents by people who have remained silent about Hewelt.
I would agree the first Stockport goal would have pleased the hosts; good cross and towering header. However we could also have defended it better.

There is no reason why any player should be immune from fair criticism, although there appear to be one or two sacred cows. Unsure who you're referencing re Hewelt criticism, but I've agreed with you re the third goal and made the same point as Sparky on my perception it was the wrong call for Walsall's goal. Doohan had improved significantly this season and my recollection of last season was he'd been given a reasonable amount of bedding in time before being called out. Hewelt is a relatively less experienced keeper than Ross and it feels unhelpful to be attributing much of the culpability for the second and third goals onto him, given teammates failings.

Player
Manager
John King
Hewelt is a relatively less experienced keeper than Ross and it feels unhelpful to be attributing much of the culpability for the second and third goals onto him, given teammates failings.
I think he was partly to blame, particularly for the third goal, and I think it is reasonable to make the point. If you are a first team player, you have to accept a certaint amount of criticism.

Nobody is suggesting he should be dropped, not that he we have any realistic alternatives anyway, but like all young players he will have to learn from his mistakes and try to improve.

It is interesting that certain supporters berated Doohan for months and suggested that Hewelt was necessarily the better keeper, when in reality they are probably of a similar standard, albeit with different weaknesses.

drwhoman

I agree and Hewelt is 26. Not old for a goalie but you do wonder as to how he will go longer term. we all hope Joe can have a positive outcome with him.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I agree and Hewelt is 26. Not old for a goalie but you do wonder as to how he will go longer term. we all hope Joe can have a positive outcome with him.
For me Hewelt is a capable deputy for a few games but is not a first choice keeper and I would expect this to be rectified in the summer

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
For me Hewelt is a capable deputy for a few games but is not a first choice keeper and I would expect this to be rectified in the summer
The management apparently were not of the same mind, otherwise why sell Doohan without getting a replacement in?

I haven't seen enough of Hewelt yet to know whether he's capable of making the step up to regular keeper. He had reasonable games in the League Cup, rather more variable in the Pizza Cup and hasn't got off to the best of starts in the league. There are no real options to change things as I doubt Murphy is capable of playing more than occasionally. Hopefully Saturday will be a learning experience to those defenders who contributed to our downfall too.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not sure I agree Murphy couldn’t play regularly. He was doing it less than a year ago and wasn’t a problem.
He can’t be much different to how he was last year.
Hopefully he won’t be needed but hewlet isn’t impressing too much yet

Player
Manager
John King
Not sure I agree Murphy couldn’t play regularly. He was doing it less than a year ago and wasn’t a problem.
He can’t be much different to how he was last year.
Hopefully he won’t be needed but hewlet isn’t impressing too much yet
I think Murphy is struggling with his back now.

I get the impresssion he does not want to train every day, which must take its toll as a 41 year old.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think Murphy is struggling with his back now.

I get the impresssion he does not want to train every day, which must take its toll as a 41 year old.
If that’s the case then that is a concern. Just need to hope hewlet can do a job and whatever happens, we’ll be looking for another keeper for the squad next season as joe may hang up his gloves

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I guess we will see how capable Hewelt is for the remainder of the season but this is his biggest challenge yet. We will only know with games. I don't think it is fair to right him off yet though, especially after Saturday's game were numerous mistakes were made.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Yes giving it to him in his own 6 yard box when they had a player on the edge of the box was criminal really. Hewlet needs more experience at this level but in this day and age can we afford to give keepers time to develop if results don’t go our way?
But Turnbull had gone short and clearly asked for the ball. Also he had more than enough time. For me 99% Turnbull's fault.

The second goal was clearly mainly Cogley at fault with an an atrocious back pass that should never have been made by a player of his capability but Hewelt could and should have got there earlier and been more decisive. Interestingly the commentators were suggesting he was fouled and if it had been a cross into a crowded box it may possibly have been given but in the circumstances no he had to be stronger.

We need to be careful with Hewelt - Doohan was very poor distribution wise. Hewlet is much better and Murphy is clearly asking him to be active in his distribution. The defenders also know this but their back passes need to be controlled and appropriate or else we wil have another keeper with his confidence shot like Doohan was last season before being dropped. Several other back passes yesterday were far from ideal.

Player
Manager
John King
Distribution from the goalkeeper is about decision making, not just the ability to find a player to feet. Hewelt's decision making on Saturday was poor and has to be better in future.

It does not matter if a defender asks for the ball in a dangerous situation (which I am not convinced Turnbull did for the third goal anyway). Hewelt has the full picture in front of him and should simply wave the defenders up the pitch if the pass is not on.

Doohan's distribution was greatly improved this season and was reasonable.

As I said previously, it is highly ironic that posters who slated Doohan on a regular basis give Hewelt a free pass for his poor performance on Saturday.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
But Turnbull had gone short and clearly asked for the ball. Also he had more than enough time. For me 99% Turnbull's fault.
He did not have enough time with an opposition striker on the edge of the eighteen yard box. Perhaps Edison and John Stones can play out in that situation, but League Two players can't.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
He did not have enough time with an opposition striker on the edge of the eighteen yard box.
He had enough time. All he had to do was put his size 11 through it but he was undecided with the ball and that's when the opposition saw the weakness and pounced. You could also argue Hewelt should have just booted it out of his hands in the first place so i guess both were to blame really.

Player
Manager
John King
He had enough time. All he had to do was put his size 11 through it but he was undecided with the ball and that's when the opposition saw the weakness and pounced. You could also argue Hewelt should have just booted it out of his hands in the first place so i guess both were to blame really.
He did not have time to play out to feet. If we were going to go long, Hewelt had no reason to give him the ball in the first place. He should have booted it long himself, as you suggest.

League Two defenders don't have the technique or speed of thought to cope with situations like that.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Turnbull does give Hewelt the option of the short ball, if he didn't want to receive it, why not move smartly upfield and effectively dictate longer ball? With over 300 FL appearances, he's hardly an inexperienced defender and with a relatively inexperienced team-mate keeping, whose confidence would have already taken a hit with the second goal, if there's a clear indication to send it long, that's what Hewelt would do. Poor communication collectively here.

Going on the two wrongs principle, I'm not convinced that unfair criticism of Doohan is remedied by being over critical of Hewelt too.