• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Stockport v Rovers

Match result

• Stockport

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stockport v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Edgeley Park
Saturday, February 4, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, February 4, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
This Saturday is the short trip to Edgeley Park to take on Dave Challinor’s hatters who after a very strong recent run of form, have faltered slightly. Clint Hill also on the books as their assistant manager.

Stockport’s last 6 games sees 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats, but only 5 goals scored. Strikers Wootton and Madden do have a goal in them but they are struggling a bit. A Stockport mate of mine went to Crewe last night for their 1-1 draw and said “Reckon you have a good chance on Saturday after another poor performance last night. Scrapped a 1-1 draw but awful again very disjointed and lacking confidence”.

Niall Byrne has done ok and started their last 3 games however other ex-rovers Connor Jennings and Calum McDonald both left the hosts this week.

Given their form and our confidence boosting win v Orient, there is a real chance we could pick up three points.

As for rovers selection, Micky has some real options now to consider but after the Orient win it would not surprise me if we stick with the same starting eleven. The gaffer will have his hands full keeping the likes of Walker, Chalmers and Hendry happy, along with the Newcastle youngster. That said we do have a busy month so I’m sure all will be needed.

Prediction: it was a 0-0 draw at PP a few months ago and it wouldn’t surprise me if it was the same result. That said, I was convinced it would be goalless v Orient and we scored a (deserved), late goal. Let’s hope for more of the same. If we get the first goal the home fans may turn a bit and it could be an enjoyable afternoon. I’ll be one of many SWA in the uncovered away end but the forecast looks dry at the moment.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sadly I'll be at work for this one, always enjoy a short trip to Edgeley Park but I think we have a really good chance here. A bit similar to Orient last week, we might just be playing them at a good time. I think confidence will be high after last weeks result and with the new additions we finally have some depth and a bit more quality to the squad.

I still think it will take a few games for Saunders and Hemmings to form a partnership but looking forward to seeing what the new guys can do. I think we'll be too strong for Stockport and with our fantastic away support will push Rovers onto a morale boosting 2-1 victory!

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
Saunders to score and Kane getting the winner in the 96th min sending the white army crazy

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Saunders to score and Kane getting the winner in the 96th min sending the white army crazy
Think a draw would be acceptable. The window may seem better but people thought that in August. What is crystalized now is the dreadful effort in the summer. Bristow and Turnbull are first choice so no issue, Mumbungo has shown glimpses when able to. But some others just fill shirts and giving two years to people who spend the first year in lower non-league is worrying.
Hopefully steps forward will reveal themselves and with only Cogley likely to walk less steps backwards to come.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
As Sparky says, Stockport have put in a couple of poor performances, whereas we should be on a high after Saturday's performance and result. You sense that if we can start the game confidently and aggressively, a result is there for us. The first goal will be crucial as always.

In terms of selection, Saunders will clearly start but I think Hendry will also be selected ahead of Merrie. It would be harsh on Chris, who has arguably been better than O'Connor in recent weeks, but I think Micky will want to get the new midfielders into the side and a pairing of Hendry and Merrie would be a bit lightweight. I would not be surprised if Hendry and Walker is our first choice midfield within a couple of months.

I think the other new signings will all start on a bench that is unrecognisable from a few weeks ago. It is great to be able to call on players like Chalmers and (probably) the Newcastle lad who can make a genuine impact when they come on.

A draw would be a decent result, but I think we are capable of more. Hopefully the minority of our travelling support that caused problems at Crewe stay away from this one.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Stockport have been quite busy in the transfer window, brining in a number of defenders including ex-Rover Byrne, a winger and a couple of strikers. Arguably no star-shaking names amongst their new recruits and although in pre-season, I thought they'd probably make the play-offs, using their financial muscle to bolster the squad where needed, I'm unsure this did happen. They're a decent enough team though and in Madden and Wooton have a quality and experienced strike-force.

As for Rovers, difficult question about whether to change a winning side. While RLC may be right about our central midfield pairing going forward, Walker, despite some great passes looked a little rusty and not ready to start. I don't know much about Hendry, RLC above suggests a combo with Merrie would be a bit lightweight, does that indicate there are questions about the defensive aspects of Regan's game? It will be interesting to see how the manager goes. Elsewhere, unexpected injury/illness aside we stay as before v Orient.

I didn't apply for a ticket for this one, deciding that my next visit to Edgeley Park can wait until after I've seen a Rovers away win elsewhere. So will be at my adopted home town's game instead, the only other time I've been in the home end at the John Smith was for a covid jab. Any result possible at Stockport though hope Rovers can bring back all the points.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't know much about Hendry, RLC above suggests a combo with Merrie would be a bit lightweight, does that indicate there are questions about the defensive aspects of Regan's game?
Hendry is a creative midfielder, so you would generally play a defensive midfielder alongside him in a two man midfield. Merrie is notionally a defensive midfielder, but is not as strong physically as O'Connor and does not have his defensive antenna. Hence, I am not sure that pairing would be effective.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks. Hendry doesn't look the kind of player who would shy out of a tackle, but I've always been a bit unsure of Merrie's defensive midfielder tag.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As RLC says, hopefully some of the idiots at Crewe won’t be at Stockport although we’re taking similar numbers so I’m expecting some. Stockport have their own bunch of numptees so I’d be wary of mixing with the home fans, especially at full time if we win.
It seems their own fans have taken trouble to away games as Stockport just put this statement out

Multiple pyrotechnics were thrown on to the pitch at Crewe and various seats in the away stands at both Crewe and AFC Wimbledon have been vandalised and damaged, we would like to remind a small minority of fans that antisocial behaviour will not be tolerated by the Club.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Turner-Cooke is unavailable this weekend though no details why.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
As RLC says, hopefully some of the idiots at Crewe won’t be at Stockport although we’re taking similar numbers so I’m expecting some. Stockport have their own bunch of numptees so I’d be wary of mixing with the home fans, especially at full time if we win.
It seems their own fans have taken trouble to away games as Stockport just put this statement out

Multiple pyrotechnics were thrown on to the pitch at Crewe and various seats in the away stands at both Crewe and AFC Wimbledon have been vandalised and damaged, we would like to remind a small minority of fans that antisocial behaviour will not be tolerated by the Club.
Hopefully they'll still have a goal at FT.. :eek:

2010-05-08 16.55.49.jpg

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
If I remember rightly, the club paid for the replacement goal and nets at Stockport!

Reactions: Ian

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
So Mellon's mind surprised me by choosing a striker a day into the club last week. This week in presuming he sticks to his starting eleven, will be interesting for the bench line up and who doesn't get on it.
Joe and Jamieson have no alternatives, then Lewis, Walker, Hendry, Mumbungo, Chalmers.
JTC is banned I believe. Nolan done. Burton relegated and still miles ahead of any other home grown talent!
Like Boz I can see flaws in the squad unless a few can play elsewhere, any full back replacement won't be up for the speedy overlaps that is for sure.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
So Mellon's mind surprised me by choosing a striker a day into the club last week. This week in presuming he sticks to his starting eleven, will be interesting for the bench line up and who doesn't get on it.
Joe and Jamieson have no alternatives, then Lewis, Walker, Hendry, Mumbungo, Chalmers.
JTC is banned I believe. Nolan done. Burton relegated and still miles ahead of any other home grown talent!
Like Boz I can see flaws in the squad unless a few can play elsewhere, any full back replacement won't be up for the speedy overlaps that is for sure.
O’Connor Merrie Jameson and Robinson can all cover full back positions.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
O’Connor Merrie Jameson and Robinson can all cover full back positions.
What is the situation with Robinson? He picked up an injury at Accrington, then another problem developed as he was due to return to training. Not been seen or mentioned since, is he even still at Rovers or gone back to his parent club?

Merrie isn’t really a left-back, though made a fair stab at the role last season. Wouldn’t want to see him in that position regularly.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
What is the situation with Robinson? He picked up an injury at Accrington, then another problem developed as he was due to return to training. Not been seen or mentioned since, is he even still at Rovers or gone back to his parent club?

Merrie isn’t really a left-back, though made a fair stab at the role last season. Wouldn’t want to see him in that position regularly.
Robinson is nearing fitness, he is still on loan

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Unchanged line-up. No Jameson on the bench so Brad Walker is our central defensive cover.