• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Sack Barnes and McAteer

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No, I didnt have an argument because im not passing judgement. I didnt want Moore sacked either but some people on this forum need to get over it.

Why appoint him? There are many reasons why a club like us would appoint him. First he is a big name thats probably the main reason, extra publicity because Johnson wants to sell. Second reason is why not give a young manager a chance? Your argument would mean no new managers would EVER get a chance in football, people have to start somewhere.

We are a stepping stone club and always will be for players and its the same with Barnes he will either do an Ince and be in Championship or Prem in a few years or he may never manager again after us.

Either way I want people to stop being so negative, apart from Central Defence are squad is as strong in every other position as any club in this league.

Barnes idea are coming across to the team in 6 weeks already, bodes well. Every player is speaking highly of him (all the players hated Ronnie Moore) so just give him a chance!!!!!!!!!

I was no great admirer of the football we played under Ronnie especially the first two seasons, but if you sack your manager it makes sense to get someone in whose got better credentials. Barnes is hardly a young manager, he's in his late 40s and by his own admissions has let himself go a bit. While I'd like to know your evidence for the assertion that all players hated Ronnie Moore, being nice is not in any way a requirement of being a good manager.

Have you looked at the squads of teams like Leeds, Norwich and Huddersfield to name a few? As well as the dismal failure to prioritise getting in a new central defender, the rest of the squad is a mixture of the ageing and injury prone or promising youngsters. Perhaps we'll be lucky avoid injuries and bans and some of our younger talent will flourish with the increased responsibility. I wouldn't stake my life savings on it though....

DWaltz

Yeah am not saying we are going to win the league. There are maybe 5 good sides in this league and then theres about another 12 who are midtable/play off scrappers and the other 8 are pretty crap.

Centre half HAS been a priority? Barnes has said so himself its not his fault we havent been able to get one in. Would you rather we signed any random crap centre half? am glad hes taking his time and getting a decent one. its a marathon not a sprint we have 46 games plus cup matches to play. as long as the squad is sorted by end of august i wont have a problem.

I would hardly call any of our team injury prone? Shuker maybe apart from that ?? I wouldnt call any of our squad ageing? the oldest player is what early 30´s? not exactly ancient and whats wrong with promising youngsters?

I know someone who is quite well in at the club mate, use to run the old Rearguard forum. He gets a lot of insider info, and a lot of the players disliked Moore´s ways on training pitch.

Am not saying because he is nice hes going to be amazing manager and am not saying he is going to be great but can u give him a chance? u seem to be the sort of person who bangs their head and says they have got cancer. dont be so pessimistic.

M

Mal

Why <expletive deleted> appoint Barnes? I think the logic went something like: Moore has told the press in a disguised way that we have a Peanuts/ Monkeys situation and he can't get the crowds in with the types of player he has to work with. Johnson thinks: let's get someone in with contacts, preferably on Merseyside, and also who has a profile to match. This may bring in quality loan players and also get us press coverage (tbh most press I have seen in a while, people at work down South even come up to me and mention that Tranmere were on the news). The old adage 'change as good as a rest' also will help as players should respond to a different way of training/playing. Finally, who is desperate enough to want to prove themselves and will not expect a great deal of remuneration or money to spend on players. If they succeed, both parties benefit. Mind you, I'd have preferred Mathias to MacAteer. In the words of the great philosopher. No doubt about dat. How I'll miss that phrase.

Player
Goodison
Ince and Mathias should have been brought in - they were at nearly every home game last season after they left Blackburn.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mahon only appeared in about a third of Burnley games due to injury. Welsh, Shuker, Edds all had lengthy spells out. When we've got such a small squad we need to be confident they're not all going to be crocked at once.