• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Sack Barnes and McAteer

TRFC_Ian

Player
Aldo
Slightly off topic I know - but can anyone explain to me why Ian Moore is down as Ian Thomas-Moore on the official site's squad list?

An attempt to impress the new manager by distancing himself from the old one?!

TRFC_Ian

Player
Aldo
and we also appear to have two number 13's!

Not like we are short of available squad numbers! :roll:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Only slightly off-topic?! Apparently Ian took his wife's name as well, when he got married over the summer

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
He'll always be Ian Moore Moore Moore to me...

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Is Richie gonna announce him as ... number 9.... Ian Thomas-Moore? Get a grip Ian, your missus takes YOUR name! Come on lad! ](*,)

DixieDean

He did is because his wife has children from a previous marriage and he didn't want them to have to change their name, so he changed his.

Good on him I say....

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Fair enough, I didn't know the story, so apologies for my ignorance. Fair play to Ian, more pennies for the club too if they sell shirts with Thomas-Moore 9 on the back! hehe

M

Mal

Discounting the cup fiasco, Barnes' record at Celtic in league was W13 D 2 lost 5. As far as Tranmere is concerned, I'd be more than happy with that record after 20 games.... one club's failure perception is another club's success.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
That sounds good in isolation, but it's hard to evaluate without knowing Celtic's results for the 20 games before and after John Barnes.

M

Mal

Kenny Dalglish took over as head coach until the end of the 1999–2000 season, and brought Tommy Burns back to assist him. While Dalglish generally retained the respect of the supporters, Celtic's league form deteriorated further and the club finished 21 points behind Rangers at the end of the season. A League Cup victory over Aberdeen was the only consolation in one of the most embarrassing periods of the club's history.

QuickDrawDan

Player
Jennings
But let us not forget that Celtic beat Rangers 5-2 whilst under John Barnes. The guy was at a club were the standards were set extremely high it was his first managerial role. Lets not judge him on his Celtic days.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
But let us not forget that Celtic beat Rangers 5-2 whilst under John Barnes. The guy was at a club were the standards were set extremely high it was his first managerial role. Lets not judge him on his Celtic days.

We have little else to judge him on. He has no other experience of club management.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
So your argument is essentially that "we have absolutely no idea if he's a good manager or not..."

If this is the case, why f***ing appoint him?!!

DWaltz

No, I didnt have an argument because im not passing judgement. I didnt want Moore sacked either but some people on this forum need to get over it.

Why appoint him? There are many reasons why a club like us would appoint him. First he is a big name thats probably the main reason, extra publicity because Johnson wants to sell. Second reason is why not give a young manager a chance? Your argument would mean no new managers would EVER get a chance in football, people have to start somewhere.

We are a stepping stone club and always will be for players and its the same with Barnes he will either do an Ince and be in Championship or Prem in a few years or he may never manager again after us.

Either way I want people to stop being so negative, apart from Central Defence are squad is as strong in every other position as any club in this league.

Barnes idea are coming across to the team in 6 weeks already, bodes well. Every player is speaking highly of him (all the players hated Ronnie Moore) so just give him a chance!!!!!!!!!

DWaltz

Thank you!

Am not trying to cause arguments etc but the club needs to pull in the same direction regardless of what some people think, we arent all going to get what we want.

I just want a bit more of a positive mental attitude around the place!