• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Sack Barnes and McAteer

This might sound crazy but I'm ready to vote no confidence is these two clowns already!!

We're in July without so much as a sniff of a signing, Barnes keeps coming out with some great inspiring quotes that suggests we're going down and we're losing players left right and centre.

Seriously, we'll be bottom of the table by Christmas fighting for our existence unless we sort out the muppets who are in control of our beloved club

Fan buy-out anyone?

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
This might sound crazy but I'm ready to vote no confidence is these two clowns already!!

We're in July without so much as a sniff of a signing, Barnes keeps coming out with some great inspiring quotes that suggests we're going down and we're losing players left right and centre.

Seriously, we'll be bottom of the table by Christmas fighting for our existence unless we sort out the muppets who are in control of our beloved club

Fan buy-out anyone?

We'd made about this many signings this time last July - fact.
Most clubs at our level are in a very similar position to us in terms of players going/coming in - fact.
We've lost 3 players and brought in 1 - not quite the end of the world yet, is it?

Unlike other managers, Barnes has only had a few weeks to begin negotiations with players, because he's newly appointed. Also, it's not his fault that the board have decided we can't afford to keep Jenno, Kay and Chorley.

I'm not a fan of Barnes but you're ridiculous.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
FACT: Since the end of last season we've lost 9 players and brought 1 in. That leaves a seriously depleted squad. At the risk of repeating my comments on the last thread, I'd rather Barnes shut the fcuk up and concentrated on signing/loaning new players and getting the best out of the handful we've got left. Interviews stating the bleeding obvious "we're going to have a smaller squad", or verging on the ridiculous "Gillingham are going to be one of the best teams in L1" do neither his street cred or our morale any good at all!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Boz, his street cred went some time ago.. think it was around the time he did that ridiculous rap!

SonkORLY?, I'd suggest taking AJSM posts with a pinch of salt..

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
FACT: Since the end of last season we've lost 9 players and brought 1 in. That leaves a seriously depleted squad.

True - the likes of Waterfall, Sonko etc. But only 3 of the players released we actually ever wanted to keep in the first place. Allot is a good signing IMO (thanks Ronnie). We aren't going to show up at the start of the season without a squad and Barnes hasn't been here very long so you have to cut him a bit of slack on the player aquisition front.

Agree that his media work hasn't been breathtaking. I think he's trying to play down our chances to take the pressure off himself tbh. I also think he realises that he isn't realistically going to be able to take us to 7th again with our current budget and is probably concerned about a fan revolt when that inevitablility starts to take shape. So he's trying to set our targets low - realistically low, perhaps.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
SonkORLY? I take your point about the (lack of) calibre of some of the departures, tho' maybe Greenacre + Achto would have been offered deals by the Barnes regime. However, given one of the excuses put forward for getting rid of Ronnie was the falling crowds, I cannot see that Barnes bleatings will do anything to reverse that trend. As the saying goes it's better to be thought a fool by keeping quiet, rather than remove all doubt by opening your mouth!

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Am sorry but I disagree the current situation is far worse than anything we have seen in previous seasons. We have lost the entire spine of the team! There is no club captain! We have not even got a keeper! No am afraid this situation is very different. I agree we will get some signings in but realistically do you think they will have time to gel together and will be of decent quality?

All I keep hearing from Barnes is how good other teams in the league are and how he will have a tough job with no budget to work with. Cant help feeling that he is starting already to cover his own arse when it all goes wrong. Agree with Boz wish he would shut up and start making progress on the player front.

There is a massive amount of negatiity around at this point in time and the supporters are becoming ever disillusioned. If this goes belly up then attendences will fall simple as that.

Really annoyd at the moment we are becoming a shambles and a laughing stock.:twisted:

M

Mal

This is almost back to 1985. I dislike the fact that MacAteer waffles on in the press about Liverpool, and has a 'spitting' hissy-fit in the Masters against Tranmere. Hardly a mature second-in-command. I also question Barnes waffling on about other teams' chances. My heart wants us to do well but if we couldn't even cover injuries with last year's squad, I fail to see how we'll do it with less players. A relegation dog-fight of the nineteen seventies is up and coming. I really hope I am proved wrong.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
This is almost back to 1985.

Frank Worthington? Interesting comparison; in what sense do you mean? I wasn't around then.

I'm surprised more comparison's haven't been drawn between Barnes and Yeates tbh. He took over Tranmere, massivley strengthened connections between ourselves and Liverpool on the transfer front, then got us relegated. Lovely

However, given one of the excuses put forward for getting rid of Ronnie was the falling crowds, I cannot see that Barnes bleatings will do anything to reverse that trend.

Agree. Only one man we can blame for that decision though...

M

Mal

By 1985 I meant a situation where there are likely to be more 'part - timers' (in this case loan players) and youngsters than full-time, and that balancing the books is almost impossible.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think that Ron Yeates took over @Tranmere soon after finishing as a player. He brought a couple of Reds old-boys, who I gather did ok. Barnes very different, been out of the British game the best part of a decade. Was away at college during the Worthington era, the main difference is we've a higher starting point now. I'm not sure how much use history is in predicting what will happen. Right now, we're up the proverbial creek, question is do we have a paddle?

Player
Liam Palmer

TRFCJason

Player
John Aldridge
We'll be alright as long as no one get's suspended or injured and that won’t happen to any of our players, also everyone can take it in turn to go in goal...8-[ I can't understand what the problem is?

M

Mal

I'm older than Barnes. I'd volunteer to play (based on commitment rather than talent) but I'd probably see red after 30 mins due to mistiming a tackle by 2 minutes.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Boz, his street cred went some time ago.. think it was around the time he did that ridiculous rap!

SonkORLY?, I'd suggest taking AJSM posts with a pinch of salt..

at the time that rap was cool anyway it was produced by a local duo called alternative radio ! ( TWO BROTHERS )So blame them i mean you can,t blame barnesy he was just a dumb aresed footballer being manipulated by a bunch of semi pro bunch of high powered muso,s from greasby !( wirral)

ian

M

Mal

Slightly off topic. Macateer was on the Liverpool FC channel talking about the L'pool / Newcastle game in 1995/96. He mentioned that he and Rob Jones were both called Trigger to start with but for some reason they decided that two with the same nickname didn't work so he was renamed 'Dave' but he didn't understand why. Still.

Ah well, only fools and......

Macca if you are reading these, the above line is a clue.

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Not for nothing, McAteer´s nickname is Double Trigger.

On the whole Barnes situation, we´ve had a players clearout and he´s got a chance to bring in the players he wants, build from scratch. Like all fans I´m hoping this experiment will be a success. But the situation is unusual for me in that this is one management team I´d have no trouble jumping on the back of, putting the knife in and giving it a good twist... if things don´t go to plan.

Ronnie was the best manager we´ve had in ages. With no money and just 17 players he took us to within minutes of the playoffs. I love him for that, and all the rest.

Barnes has a chance, and I hope he seizes it with both hands, and gets that something that for years and years we´ve not had --- being lucky.